What do I do?

gnxpro

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 10:40 am
There's this girl I've been trying to go out with for a couple years now and it's insane how much her and I have in common. I treat her like a princess and she still picks the jerks over me (and they just keep hurting her more and more). I can tell she likes and trusts me, and vica versa. She knows how much I truly love, respect and care about her. I've asked her out a few times, but something always came up. We talk almost every day. It's not just small talk, it's about really close, personable things that she wouldn't say a word to anyone else other than me. I'd do anything even die for her if I had to. I couldn't ever see myself giving up on her. What do I do??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 915 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 11:18 am
@gnxpro,
Why not sit down and talk to her about you desire to want to go out together. Be specific...about going out say..on Saturday...at 8pm..etc. Maybe you can be a little more persistent and pin her down to see if she wants to go out.

Alternatively, perhaps (as hard as it sounds) maybe you can be a little less available at the drop of a hat. I've been in this situation myself. When there's such every-day sort of contact, it can cause a trivialization of the relationship (messages, text, etc) so there's an unconscious taking advantage.

If you were less of a cry-on-the-shoulder buddy, in time she might think differently about your relationship. But until you ask her more, you won't know if it is too late for this change in relationship status.

With a little less daily contact, perhaps she might start missing you more and wondering what is up -being a mystery. She might not be in touch with how deeply she feels about you. But you won't know this until you either date or talk about this directly.
gnxpro

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 12:08 pm
@Ragman,
Ok, you definitely have some great advice. Could you please go more in to depth on the sentence: "When there's such every-day sort of contact, it can cause a trivialization of the relationship (messages, text, etc) so there's an unconscious taking advantage" I'm only 18 so you may have to dumb it down a little bit...

Ragman

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 01:00 pm
@gnxpro,
No, not dumb at all. But I understand about having a lack of experience.

When you are in constant contact with a potential romantic interest before you've started to date, in that person's mind they may form an opinion of you as a buddy-only, which is counter to where you'd like this to be going. Sometimes, that can be changed...if you are lucky and didn't wait forever.

So in the case of when there's daily contact through dozens of email or texts, this can reduce your interactions to the equiv of the value of doing a video game. You don't want that to happen as it trivializes (lessens the importannce and value) of your contact. Young people can get into that easily as texting is such a constant part of your daily routine.

The way around that can be to talk or meet in person. Talk on the phone instead of using dozens of texts or emails. She should hear your voice and feel your energy in REAL TIME without the all those potential other distractions ...talking in real time is more involving and engaging.

Try to get out of the role as confessor or buddy. Show her that you are an available positive alternative to those guys that keep mistreating her. Maybe talk to her about having like an 'experimental-date'. Can';t hurt, right..

Bottom line..is let her know about wanting to try taking her out...not just as her buddy....but maybe more - if the energy is right for that on BOTH sides.

When I was 18, I had a few too many female buddy relationships...even with the ones I wanted to date. I let that happen 'cause I felt it was safer for me and a bit less daring. However, I felt that I missed out on a lot 'cause I was just too chicken to take a chance.
gnxpro

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 02:48 pm
@Ragman,
I'm now currently out of school, but she's still going. About 95% of our interactions are through texts. We've only hung out once, but her friends were with her and she was pretty shy. Unfortunately it wasn't until the time we both had to get going was when she got more comfortable being around me.

Just for the record, I am a quadriplegic and yes I'm fully capable of having sexual intercourse (She knows that too) I was attacked by a tiger and lion when I was 10 and that's how I got like this. Now, I'm scared that if I call her, it would get awkward and I'm horrible at making conventions.

I have my own vehicle and a small car flipping business. I try to help her out as much as I can but she doesn't like that because she feels too "guilty" letting me. I've now had a few people tell me to not be there for her at the drop of a hat, which I've done but I don't know if it's been working or not.

jespah

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 03:33 pm
@gnxpro,
You're in the friend zone. And you are being there at the drop of the hat. Not good if you're not appreciated. Try not being there all the time. And see what happens.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 03:51 pm
@gnxpro,
As the old saying goes, absence makes the heart grow fonder. try being available a bit less, and see if that doesn't improve matters. If you want the answer, you will still need to have a frank discussion with her about whether or not things could be explored.

Good luck.
gnxpro

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 04:19 pm
@Ragman,
Ok, thanks for the advice! Hopefully it goes well. If it doesn't, than there's always another girl out there. Even though would be really difficult getting over this one..
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 05:31 pm
Are you giving her financial support?

Stop this ASAP. She is using you.

Then see just how much of a "friend" you are to her.

0 Replies