CIA Chief Petraeus resigns as result of extra-marital affair

firefly

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 01:01 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Literary merits is important but then so is a knowledge of military matters when you are talking about writing a book that center on a man who live revolve meeting military problems

Judging by your own posts, "literary merits" are of no importance to you. Laughing

A biography is first and foremost a literary work, and the finished product will rest heavily on literary merits as well as authenticity and insights. Selecting an author with no previously published books, let alone previous biographies, is an extremely odd choice for a very prominent man seeking to have his first authorized (or semi-authorized) biography set down for posterity.
Quote:
I am fairly sure he got to read some of her work produce including her master theme ...

I don't know how many master's theses you have read, but, particularly in the area Broadwell did hers in, there would be no resemblance to the writing style, or organizational ability, or literary skill, that goes into penning a successful biography.

Are you really so naive that you can't imagine why he likely chose this particular, totally unproven biographer, to set down his legacy?
And her lack of experience in writing such a work was apparently evident in her organizational lapses.
Quote:
The narrative is difficult to track because of shifting time elements and sporadic sections of battleground details, but Broadwell provides a first-rate education about the modern American military for outsiders.
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/paula-broadwell/all-in-petraeus/

The book has earned a measly two and a half stars on Amazon and the reviews tend to reflect Broadwell's failings as an author (as opposed to another biography of Petraeus, by Bradley T. Gericke, that got a 4 star rating).

Some sample comments...
Quote:
I have to say this book really left a lot to be desired. Paula Broadwell tried to tell one good story I am sure but she failed and instead told several bad ones. There is no cohesion to this story and instead we see a mishmash of bad ones. We are mislead by the title. The book really doesn't do a good job explaining Petraeus or his command style. We see a confusing mix of a biography, a first hand account of the ground situation in Afghanistan and then a view of the struggles winning the hearts and minds of the Afghani people.

This book lacks vision and really doesn't tell the reader anything earth shattering or more depth than one could find by reading Time or watching CNN. There is nothing new under the sun here. Seriously, don't waste your time no matter what the professional critics say.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Much wasn't really brought to light or revealed here. One never gets a sense about how Petraeus makes judgements, where he failed and would have done better, or has any insight into him and the thought process. I found The Fourth Star much more robust and insightful. Paula is obviously a fan and didn't have any objectivity in the book. Petraeus is either awesome or super awesome. OK. Got it. Next? There is no more depth.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You'll love this book if you like bureaucratic history and thinly veiled hero worshiping. Lots of pages about team building and communication in a large organization. For that stuff, I prefer David Novak's, Taking People with You. As an biography, it was very disappointing. You find out that David Petraeus can run at youthful speeds for miles, but he doesn't seem to ever breathe hard, sweat or get a sore tendon. That is, the book lacks human details and insight into the man. I doubt that General Petraeus is just a phenomenal bureaucrat, but I'll have to wait for a great biography to find out.
http://www.amazon.com/All-In-Education-General-Petraeus/product-reviews/1594203180

I love this comment from one professional review of the book:
Quote:
To the author's credit, she pays close attention to Petraeus' home life; after all, no war commander leaves for battle without consequences for a spouse, children, parents and many others.
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/paula-broadwell/all-in-petraeus/

She sure didn't pay a lot of attention to Petraeus' homelife--and the consequences for his wife--when she became involved with him.
spendius

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 01:19 pm
@firefly,
There is a co-author for All In. A Washington Post journalist.

She had no need to be able to write at all.

It was her idea to do the book.

There is no need to comment on Bill's writing style. It is less slippery than yours.
spendius

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 01:25 pm
@firefly,
For example-- you segued from "for his only authorized biography" in an earlier post into "his first authorized (or semi-authorized) biography" in that post.

BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 01:29 pm
@firefly,
I can see the good general offering aid and access to a young man that is or was an officer who had shown great interest in his career and some hero worship thrown in, in writing a book of his career.

No Firefly I am not assuming he might be bi either.

He was not going looking for an author after all the author came to him and the idea of her writing a complete book on his life develop over time.

I see no indication that he was shopping around for an author in the first place so your model that he had some kind of selection process going on for the job of writing a book of his career is false in the first place.
spendius

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 01:41 pm
@spendius,
Grace Dent writing in The Independent the title of which is a bare-assed lie on a par with THE Nooooo Spin Zooooone.

Quote:
One of my gripes with the Washington DC sex scandal that’s titillating America – David Petraeus, his mistress Paula Broadwell, her rival Jill Kelley, Jill’s admirer General John Allen, and so on – is the distinct lack of “big sex” that seems to have occurred. The Pentagon is a big, sexy place, god damnit, crackling with power and intrigue. I’ve seen James Bond and Homeland, I know what goes on.

By now, due to the amount of Petraeus news on offer, one would think there’d be one startling piece of sexual impropriety. But no, no cigar. Instead it’s the smaller details that fascinate. Did Petraeus really lie in bed telling Popwell about the Benghazi consulate? Why is the FBI searching her house? How did General John have the time to send Jill Kelley 20,000 pages of documents when I can’t even schedule in my annual boiler service?

Why did Paula Broadwell send Jill Kelley emails warning her off Petraeus if Jill was General John’s bit on the side? Can these two women not see that Petraeus looks like Mr Burns from The Simpsons, while they’re both sleek, hot fillies in the prime of their MILFdom and could probably nab the pasty-faced good-looking lad from One Direction?

And what about Holly, Petraeus’s wife – who in the biopic would be played by a slightly careworn Kathy Bates – who’s reportedly livid, but will she leave him? And how much has she turned a blind eye to before? So, yes, lots of questions to be asked, but not a lot of sex. Petraeusgate seems to be a tale of the most pedestrian of trysts.

Washington and the CIA are clearly prone to the same sorts of life-distracting, heart-fluttering office nonsense which is happening the length of Britain, and more so than anywhere in the civilised world that owns a photocopier and a water cooler. “This is like a Greek tragedy,” I heard a US political expert say yesterday. No, it’s not, I thought. It’s like January in a telesales company HQ in Cleethorpes after a very drunken Christmas party.

Sadly, I don’t have access to the email archives, paper trails and mobile phone bills of everyone at Ikea Head Office, or Staples HQ, or IBM or Starbucks, but I wish I did because I’m really bloody nosy and I bet I could find a spider’s web of all sorts of brilliant clandestine extra-curricular longings and vague smut. In fact, the only place I can imagine that this isn’t happening is at Innocent HQ where they make the fruit smoothies, because no set of people who write such twee gubbins on the side of their products can be sending each other shirtless pics and booking into Holiday Inn Expresses on the lunch hour.

What I find fascinating is that office affairs, and namely powerful men wooing women who could jeopardise business, office harmony or people’s safety, cannot be stamped out even when the employers make it literally against the law to dip your wick. Even the threat of Penis-related Prison couldn’t stop Petraeus looking at Paula Broadwell’s finely worked-out biceps and delicate décolletage across the meeting rooms as she took notes on his very big, strong brave military endeavours and thinking, “Oh, I’ll have a bit of that.”

Whether any of what went on after that made a blind bit of difference to foreign policy is debatable, but what we do know is that when one affair is uncovered, it’s like a soggy house of cards. Everyone has less to lose and a bigger axe to grind. Jill Kelley – the other, other woman, do keep up – has responded to questions over why she hosted a party for Petraeus in which he arrived in a 28-car motorcade, and what her job as an “unpaid social liaison” at MacDill Air Force Base actually consists of by hiring DC super lawyer Abbe Lowell and PR person Judy Smith, who looked after, um, the sex scandals of Monica Lewinsky and Kobe Bryant. Meanwhile, Paula Broadwell’s dad has helpfully announced that “this story is about something else entirely” and that the whole truth will eventually come out. There may be nothing to see here, but the world won’t be looking away any time soon.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 01:53 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
There is a co-author for All In. A Washington Post journalist.

And the co-author's jounalistic contribution got a better review from Kirkus than Broadwell's.
spendius

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 01:57 pm
@firefly,
I was wondering if Ms Broadwell's "military career" was anything like Sgt Hogan's in Bilko. No tossing grenades into nests of enemy snipers.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 02:01 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I was wondering if Ms Broadwell's "military career" was anything like Sgt Hogan's in Bilko. No tossing grenades into nests of enemy snipers.

More like Maj. Houlihan in M*A*S*H, I would assume.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 02:01 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
He was not going looking for an author after all the author came to him...

As I'm sure many other authors did, seeking his cooperative for a book.

The fact that he gave the book deal to a non-author is what's striking.
Quote:
I can see the good general offering aid and access to a young man that is or was an officer who had shown great interest in his career and some hero worship thrown in, in writing a book of his career.

But the "good general" didn't offer "aid and access" to a young man, he offered it to this particular woman, a non-author, who became "embedded" in more ways than one with him.

And who knows what else he gave her access to...

firefly

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 02:07 pm
Quote:
The New York Times
November 13, 2012
Reputation, Reputation, Reputation

By MAUREEN DOWD
WASHINGTON

As Lyndon Johnson said, the two things that make leaders stupid are envy and sex.

Macbeth kills a king out of envy. Egged on by an envious Iago, Othello smothers his wife out of a crazed fear of her having sex with his lieutenant.

Now another charismatic general has shattered his life and career over sex. When you’ve got a name like a Greek hero, and a nickname like a luscious fruit, isn’t hubris ripe to follow?

It’s been a steep fall for Peaches Petraeus, once the darling of Congress and journalists, Republicans and Democrats, Paula Broadwell and Jill Kelley.

Washington is suffused with schadenfreude. Yet President Obama and others felt genuinely sad to see a man so controlling about integrity and image — he warned protégés that “someone is always watching” — spin out of control on integrity and image. As Shakespeare wrote in “Othello”: “Reputation, reputation, reputation.”

As a West Point cadet, David Petraeus clambered up the social ladder by winning the superintendent’s daughter; now he has been brought down by his camp followers clambering up the social ladder.

Even when he was the C.I.A. director, Petraeus’s ego was so wrapped up in being a shiny military idol that, according to The Washington Post, he recently surprised guests at a D.C. dinner when he arrived to speak wearing his medals on the lapel of his suit jacket.

His fall started as Sophocles and turned sophomoric, a mind-boggling mélange of “From Here to Eternity,” “You’ve Got Mail,” “The Real Housewives of Centcom,” and “Keeping Up With the Kardashians.” It features toned arms, slinky outfits, a cat fight, titillating e-mails, a military more consumed with sex than violence, a plot with more inconceivable twists than “Homeland,” and a Twitter’s-delight lexicon: an “embedded” mistress named Broadwell, a biography called “All In,” an other-other woman of Middle East ancestry who was a “social liaison” to the military, a shirtless F.B.I. agent crushing on the losing-her-shirt-to-debt Tampa socialite, a pair of generals helping the socialite’s twin sister with a custody case, and lawyers and crisis-management experts linked to Monica Lewinsky, John Edwards and the ABC show “Scandal.”

“This is The National Enquirer, ” an alarmed Senator Dianne Feinstein told Wolf Blitzer of CNN. If only it were that highbrow. Now that erotic activity is entwined with the Internet, rather than closeted in hideaway Capitol offices and Oval Office pantries, it’s even more likely to be a trip wire for history.

It is disturbing that an ethically sketchy, politically motivated F.B.I. agent could spark an incendiary federal investigation tunneling into private lives to help a woman he liked and later blow it up to hurt a president he didn’t like.

It’s also worrisome that the nation’s spymaster — who had presided in a military where adultery could result in court-martial — could not have found a more clandestine manner of talking naughty to his biographer babe than a Gmail drop box, a semiprivate file-sharing system used by terrorists, teenagers and authors.

It’s understandable that men accustomed to being away from their families and cloistered with other men in Muslim countries where drinking and blowing off steam are frowned upon might get used to cavorting on e-mail.

But Petraeus should have realized that the Chinese and Russians were snooping and sent Paula Broadwell an Enigma e-mail: “I would like your insights into the debate over COIN versus CT in Helmand Province. Our HVT kills are falling a little short of the mark. Let’s discuss.”

And Broadwell could have sent ones more like: “I’ve been reading Chapter 3 notes and the Galula theory of counterinsurgency confuses me. Hope you can clarify.”

The scandal is a good reminder that, although John McCain and Sarah Palin urge total trust and blank checks for the generals, these guys are human beings working under extremely stressful circumstances, and their judgments are not beyond reproach.

Petraeus’s Icarus flight began when he set himself above President Obama.

Accustomed to being a demigod, expert at polishing his own celebrity and swaying public opinion, Petraeus did not accept the new president’s desire to head for the nearest exit ramp on Afghanistan in 2009. The general began lobbying for a surge in private sessions with reporters and undercutting the president, who was trying to make a searingly hard call.

Petraeus rolled the younger commander in chief into going ahead with a bound-to-fail surge in Afghanistan, just as, half a century earlier, the C.I.A. had rolled Jack Kennedy into going ahead with the bound-to-fail Bay of Pigs scheme. Both missions defied logic, but the untested presidents put aside their own doubts and instincts, caving to experience.

Once in Afghanistan, Petraeus welcomed prominent conservative hawks from Washington think tanks. As Greg Jaffe wrote in The Washington Post, they were “given permanent office space at his headquarters and access to military aircraft to tour the battlefield. They provided advice to field commanders that sometimes conflicted with orders the commanders were getting from their immediate bosses.”

So many more American kids and Afghanistan civilians were killed and maimed in a war that went on too long. That’s the real scandal.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/opinion/dowd-reputation-reputation-reputation.html?hp&_r=0
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 02:30 pm
@firefly,
Good post, firefly. It brings all this sex scandal into perspective. Thousands of innocent lives killed is more important.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 02:44 pm
Quote:
WASHINGTON -- The military has suspended the Air Force base pass of the Tampa socialite who sparked an ongoing sex scandal .

Pentagon spokesman Lt. Col. Steven Warren says the decision to indefinitely suspend Jill Kelley's pass to MacDill Air Force Base was made in the last couple of days.
No more pass
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 03:50 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
And who knows what else he gave her access to...

He certainly gave her access to experiencing, what I assume is an uncommon delight, of having certain intimate ceremonials performed in her honour by the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 03:53 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
As I'm sure many other authors did, seeking his cooperative for a book.

???????????????????

You sure? by what process are you sure????

To be fair if is was known that he was shopping around for someone to do such a book people would likely had been knocking on his door but not otherwise.
spendius

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 03:57 pm
@BillRM,
I imagine Bill that people like the general have a number of hopeful biographers circling around them.
BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 04:00 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I imagine Bill that people like the general have a number of hopeful biographers circling around them.

Perhaps and perhaps not having cold call contacts by would be biographers.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 08:02 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
So many more American kids and Afghanistan civilians were killed and maimed in a war that went on too long. That’s the real scandal.

Not for Americans it sure as hell ain't ..., ... unless, unless, Firefly is actually going to take the ball and run with it.
0 Replies

juliazoe4

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 05:32 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Well, damn, I hope he gets a good new government position.
revelette

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 10:28 am
@firefly,
David Petraeus: I didn't quit over Libya

Quote:
In our first conversation, he had told me he had engaged in something dishonorable. He sought to do the honorable thing in response — and that was to come forward,” she said, according to a transcript from HLN TV. “He was very clear that he screwed up terribly — it was all his fault — even that he felt fortunate to have a wife who is far better than he deserves.”

Petraeus also told Phillips he didn’t leak any classified documents to Paula Broadwell, his ex-mistress who allegedly became the subject of an FBI probe when threatening emails, sent to a friend of Petraeus’s, were traced back to her.

“He insisted to me that he has never passed classified information to Paula Broadwell,” Phillips said, according to CNN. “He said this has nothing to do with Benghazi, and he wants to testify. He will testify.”

Phillips, who has interviewed Petraeus several times, added, “[He] has made it very clear that this was about an extramarital affair and not over classified information or Benghazi,” according to HLN.

Petraeus is expected to appear before the House Intelligence Committee on Friday in a closed-door session.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 10:34 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I guess he wil only be getting sex from his official autobiographer