CIA Chief Petraeus resigns as result of extra-marital affair

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 10:11 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
People are now routinely getting kicked out of both public sector and private sector positions because of the sex that they choose to enjoy....also for the words that they use. Isn't it just like you merry to ignore the forest for a few particular trees. Of course you don't want to talk about how our freedom has been degraded over your lifetime, about what you are leaving to your grandkids.
Enzo

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 10:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
It's more complicated than that, at least that's what I think.
I wonder if someone shady or higher up in the ladder took the initiative to blackmail him about his testimony soon to be given to Congress concerning Benghazi, and he called their bluff. I say that because Petraeus was supposed to testify about Benghazigate next week. Now he suddenly resigns over an alleged affair? Coincidence?
I don't want to get into conspiracy theories, but there seems to be a strange connection.
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 10:39 pm
@MMarciano,
Half of the US Presidents and for the most part the better half had have affairs while in office and such info as having an affair does not need to be publicly known as long as say the president and others were aware of the fact.

The worst a blackmailer could do then is making it public information, not a threat that could cause someone to yield secrets.

Hopefully there is more behind this then meet the eye for now.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 10:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
Can you picture Hawkeye Eisenhower being removed from his command before D day due to his affair with his English driver?

Having an affair by itself should not be enough to removed key people from their positions.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 10:48 pm
@Enzo,
Quote:
It's more complicated than that, at least that's what I think.

sure, in this case a man wanted out, so this was a card played by him. what i want to talk about is why this is the card to play if you want out, about why so many good people are lost because we are unwilling to allow them sexual or speech freedom. the lack of sexual freedom has long been obvious in how we treat teenagers, but the virus is spreading.

we are becoming a very intolerant people, even as we claim to highly value tolerance. i want to talk about how things really are, not about the fictions that we spread around about ourselves.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 11:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
You don't understand much, do you, hawk? It's called confidence and trust; something you are missing in your life.
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 11:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye a long standing secret service agent just killed himself as he was in trouble for not reporting an affair he was having with a foreign national, as require, in this case a Mexican lady to the service.

To me as long as such affairs are reported and therefore removing most of the blackmail threat I do not see the wisdom of removing key people for having affairs.
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 11:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You don't understand much, do you, hawk? It's called confidence and trust; something you are missing in your life.

LOL you mean as in the then General Eisenhower case for example!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A man at the time who not only have most of the secrets of the allies in his head but also the overall military command of the combine armies of the allies.

He should had been removed from his command and lock up for screwing his driver?
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 11:25 pm
@BillRM,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kay_Summersby

President Harry S. Truman reportedly told author Merle Miller that in 1945, Eisenhower asked permission from General George Marshall to divorce his wife to marry Summersby, but permission was refused.[8] Truman also allegedly said he had the correspondence between Marshall and Eisenhower retrieved from the Army archives and destroyed
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 11:38 pm
@BillRM,
We're talking about a different time and place in history. Why don't you go back further in world history where you'll find more high officials involved with other women in Europe and the US; there's a whole slew of them.

Why don't you live in the present where top secret information is more critical than in the past.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 11:40 pm
@BillRM,
That's because you have no understanding of trust or confidentiality in the current environment of warfare.

I worked with nuclear weapons in the late fifties, and the penalty of getting caught talking about our jobs outside of our workplace was ten years in prison and $10 thousand dollar fine. In those days $10 thousand was a lot of money not many had.
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 11:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
That's because you have no understanding of trust or confidentiality in the current environment of warfare.

So the secrets are now more important then the secrets that were in Eisenhower head during WW2 is that your position?

My lord I just read both of your postings and that is your silly position it would seems.

How amazing.............
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 12:10 am
@BillRM,
Tell us what Ike has done that would have resulted in a nuclear war?
Besides, who knew about their affair during that period?
BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 12:19 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Why don't you live in the present where top secret information is more critical than in the past.

I am still shaking my head over the idea that current government secrets are more critical then the details of D day or for that matter the code breaking then being done at Bletchley Park or the many technology secrets of the era.

After all it was just the fate of nations that was in the balance at the time in a world war so yes I can see why you would consider current secrets more important then the ones being kept then!!!!

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 12:37 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Tell us what Ike has done that would have resulted in a nuclear war?
Besides, who knew about their affair during that period?

Silly person the atom age come to be during WW2 and a world where the Nazis won would not had been a lot better then a world that had have a nuclear war as it was hundreds of millions die due to that conflict.

From my reading the affair between our then future president and his driver was not all that must of a secret to the point it was a joke among the enlisted men and officers servicing at his headquarters.

He after all spend one hell of a lot of time with the lady and it was no secret that he pull enough strings to get his English girl driver US citizenship and a captain rank in the US military beside.

Not something that you normally do for just a driver.................
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 12:48 am
I understood someone to say the lady was a writer. What if she heard some secret info and wrote a book about it? Or sold an article to a paper?
BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 01:02 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:
I understood someone to say the lady was a writer. What if she heard some secret info and wrote a book about it? Or sold an article to a paper?

At this point we do not know if the good general writer friend who had already wrote one book concerning him is the lady he was having an affair with or not.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 04:05 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

At this point we do not know if the good general writer friend who had already wrote one book concerning him is the lady he was having an affair with or not.

sure do, we know that she wrote a biography on him, that she is a former officer, and that she is hot(look at the face, that body, THOSE TITS!).

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2012/11/09/paula_broadwell_talks_gen_petraeus_on_the_daily_show_with_jon_stewart.html

Quote:
As Fred Kaplan just reported, the woman with whom Gen. David Petraeus was having an affair with was Paula Broadwell, the author of a recent hagiographic book about him, All In: The Education of General David Petraeus.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/a9/9d/a99d289e2db4d73978983bec28a4e1f6.jpg
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 06:39 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

sure, in this case a man wanted out, so this was a card played by him.

But your assumption in this is that Petraeus is such a wuss that he would have to make up an excuse to resign (an excuse that subjects him to public judgement and family turmoil) instead of just saying I quit. The counter argument (that he was being pushed out for some reason) also fails because he would have "resigned to spend more time with his family." The very public admission of the affair in the absence of tabloid photos makes this very unusual. I read the mistress was under investigation for trying to get into his email account.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 10:17 am
@engineer,
hawk doesn't understand much of human nature, emotions and actions.

Most people in high places purposely ruin their own reputation after devoting their life to it. Sure.
0 Replies