well that's a thought

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:27 am
watching the telly news this morning and some congressman stated
Quote:
"If David Petraeus can't get the mission completed in afghanistan, it can't be done
." Or course I'm immediately thinking the key words are "it can't be done" but I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant.

George

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:29 am
@dyslexia,
How will we know when the mission is complete?
Is there a checklist?
Mame

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:29 am
@dyslexia,
well, what DID he mean, then? And you're right, that is a thought.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:10 pm
@George,
George wrote:

How will we know when the mission is complete?
Is there a checklist?

This whole thing could be over tomorrow. All we need to do is get Obama to stand on an aircraft carrier in a rented flight suit with a giant "Mission Accomplished" banner behind him. Problem solved.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:19 pm
A week before they invaded Afghanistan, I told my half brother, Jack, "They will never pacify that part of the world." I still wait to be proven wrong.
George

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 02:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

A week before they invaded Afghanistan, I told my half brother, Jack, "They
will never pacify that part of the world."
I still wait to be proven wrong.

But do they even want to?
JTT

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 04:54 pm
Quote:
Afghanistan Mineral Deposits Was “Economic Prize” All Along — Brzezinski

Eric Blair
Activist Post
June 15, 2010
News of the “Stunning discovery” of vast minerals in Afghanistan, first reported by James Risen in Sunday’s New York Times article, U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan, is rapidly spreading as “good news.” Well, unfortunately for mainstream media, this is old news and a well-documented motivation for the War in Afghanistan by the global elite.

http://www.infowars.com/afghanistan-mineral-deposits-was-economic-prize-all-along-brzezinski/
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 06:22 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

watching the telly news this morning and some congressman stated
Quote:
"If David Petraeus can't get the mission completed in afghanistan, it can't be done
." Or course I'm immediately thinking the key words are "it can't be done" but I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant.
WHAT is the mission ?
JTT

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
WHAT is the mission ?

As always, to get a pliant government in place so US businesses can suck the country dry. But it's getting tougher to do. People are wisening up to the evil that is US foreign policy.
JTT

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:34 pm
Maybe a Hollywood ending.

Quote:

Japan Has 'Priority' On Rights To Mine Afghanistan Mineral Deposits, Says Hamid Karzai

Afghan President Hamid Karzai said this week that Japan -- not the U.S. -- takes priority over other nations when it comes to mining his country's vast mineral deposits.

Karzai made his proclamation during a five-day visit to Japan. Over that same time period, news reports surfaced that Afghanistan and Pakistan planned to negotiate with U.S.-NATO enemies, the U.N. reported that insurgent violence is surging, and Reuters tried to parse the Pentagon's mixed messages over U.S. strategy in Afghanistan.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/20/japan-has-priority-on-rig_n_618545.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:25 pm
@George,
Touche to both of you, comments I relate to.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 07:43 am
Going by my own perception; I think the mission in Afghanistan now is simply to get the locals to reject the Taliban and other extremist and start to form their own unified government to exist outside all over Afghanistan not just the immediate area around where the president is now. As far as can it be done, I kind of doubt it. Which is why I (now) think we should withdraw and just concentrate on fighting the Taliban and AQ extremist in both Afghanistan and Pakistan and wherever else they are. I hope they stick to the timeline no matter if there is success or not.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 08:13 am
@JTT,
Quote:
US foreign policy

Issue USD Treasury bonds and buy EUR with the proceeds.
0 Replies