CIA Chief Petraeus resigns as result of extra-marital affair

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:25 am
@Enzo,
It's not only about "rich people" who engage in sexual infidelity.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:27 am
@Enzo,
This looks to be a very normal example of the play of sex and power in human relationship. So far this looks to be much ado over not much.
Enzo

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:32 am
@hawkeye10,
The stories are developing at a fast and furious pace and sounds like a riddle wrapped in a fortune cookie shoved up America's arse. The whole thing is maddening, and that's why defense lawyers will laugh all the way to the bank, no matter who wins the case. I just wonder what the real story is, or whoever can discredit the other person's witnesses so that their testimony is put into doubt- seeing that this is how our courts work.
BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:33 am
@Mame,
Quote:
There's give and take, and sharing and helping. There's no USING, unless you're a narcissist, egomaniac in which case everything revolves around you and you only want friends for what they can do for you. The entire human race is not like that.

So you using the word using as a negative emotionally loaded word that mean relationships dynamics that you do not approved of?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:38 am
@firefly,
So if you was picking a person to write your biography you would picked someone you do not have a relaxed and friendly relationship with Firefly?
firefly

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:42 am
@Enzo,
Quote:
Why would someone bankrupt themselves and close to that timeline conduct high end parties for the military?
Does she see some expected payback somewhere sometime from someone for some work?
For some, status-seeking, and social-climbing, is like a drug. All those high-end parties, she probably couldn't afford to throw, provided Kelley with an entry into heady circles of military power and established a niche for her. People like Kelley work to make themselves become important, not because of what they do, but because of who they know. And all that social networking, on that level, forms liasons with powerful contacts who can give all sorts of paybacks, even those without monetary value. These lavish parties were social "investments"--some may have even been written off as business investments/entertainment expenses (for her husband's medical practice) or for their somewhat defunct charity to aid cancer sufferers.

I doubt that Kelley's Lebanese heritage is related to anything of significance in this saga.

On the other hand, her social connections enabled her to get Petraeus and Gen. Allen to both write letters of support to a judge to help her twin sister who was involved in a custody fight for her child. The judge wound up finding the sister unfit to have custody. Makes you wonder why these two men would get involved in that sort of domestic dispute--and how much their judgment in doing so was affected by their feelings for Kelley.

But, that's an example of the sort of "payback" Kelley seems to have gotten for her "social liason", party-throwing efforts.

BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:44 am
@Enzo,
Quote:
that's why defense lawyers will laugh all the way to the bank, no matter who wins the case

So far no charges had been level and no charges from the news stories are being planned to be level against any of the actors in this soap opera.
spendius

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:52 am
@firefly,
Quote:
These people, the entire cast of characters, all seem very untrustworthy and motivated mainly by self-interest, and what they can get from each other--and that's not true of most people. It's also why they've managed to ensnare each other in such an unsavory web of alliances--judgment, and consideration of consequences, seems to have taken a backseat with all of them.

It might not be true of most people but most people lack the motivation and the lack of scruples to engage in what is required to get so far up the ladder.

Just as the guard-dogs are not the average pooch.

What an evolutionist is doing using words like "sordid" and "unsavory" is a mystery to me. Such usage betrays a Christian mind-set.

Surely "All In" was a private joke? Now back-fired.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:52 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
So if you was picking a person to write your biography you would picked someone you do not have a relaxed and friendly relationship with Firefly?

I would probably choose them based on the literary merits of their past work (Broadwell had never written a book before}, and then I would see if we could develop a friendly and collaborative relationship before I gave them the job.

Broadwell was a decidedly odd choice for his only authorized biography, given her total lack of experience in writing anything of that nature, or in writing any other published books.
Enzo

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:56 am
@BillRM,
Yes, but there is a chance of facing charges if it gets much worse than what we know now. Both have lawyered up and are likely preparing for the worst case scenario.

BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:57 am
@firefly,
Quote:
On the other hand, her social connections enabled her to get Petraeus and Gen. Allen to both write letters of support to a judge to help her twin sister who was involved in a custody fight for her child. The judge wound up finding the sister unfit to have custody. Makes you wonder why these two men would get involved in that sort of domestic dispute--and how much their judgment in doing so was affected by their feelings for Kelley.

Writing letters to judges to offer aid to someone you have a social connections with or their family members seems not to be at all that unusual to say the least.

As long as the letters just express opinions and does not contain any falsehoods I can see nothing wrong with so doing.
BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 12:11 pm
@firefly,
I am fairly sure he got to read some of her work produce including her master theme however take note she have a military background and understanding of the military problems he had made it his life work dealing with that might weight more or at least as must as proven literary merits.

Literary merits is important but then so is a knowledge of military matters when you are talking about writing a book that center on a man who live revolve meeting military problems.
firefly

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 12:11 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
As long as the letters just express opinions and does not contain any falsehoods I can see nothing wrong with so doing.

Actions don't have to be clearly wrong in order to be questionable for men who hold these types of positions. And one wonders about their judgment in supporting a woman, who seems to have some rather serious flaws as a parent, because they are chummy with her sister.

I may just expect higher standards of conduct from these men than you do.

BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 12:13 pm
@Enzo,
Quote:
Yes, but there is a chance of facing charges if it gets much worse than what we know now. Both have lawyered up and are likely preparing for the worst case scenario.

Lawyering up is always wise from the very first moments someone with a badge come to your door with questions concerning your actions however there seems little likelihood of criminal charges at the moment.
JPB

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 12:17 pm
@BillRM,
I'm not sure if "little chance" is the right choice of words. Did you notice this post earlier today? http://able2know.org/topic/201550-16#post-5167127

Nothing that says she'll be charged, but I'd put the chance higher than "little"
BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 12:21 pm
@firefly,
Once more it is not their job to make judgments that is up to the judge however everyone had a right to address the court in the manner they did no matter what their position in society happen to be.

To even imply that there is something wrong with so doing seems to be an attack on the basic rights of all citizens to address the government.

Now if they had been addressing a military court that might raised an eyebrow but not a civil court.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 12:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
People still aren't talking about Benghazi in connection with the Petraeus scandal. The two are not connected except for Petraeus testifying in the Benghazi hearing today. So the hearing would have been in the news today regardless of the sex scandal.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 12:35 pm
@JPB,
When was the last time a writer had been charge with having classified materials in their possession?

From the Pentagon papers days on it had not been done.

Now the people who gave her access to those classified papers might be in trouble if they can be trace back.

Side note as a reserve officer she likely still have some level of security clearance to handle such materials in any case.
JPB

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 12:52 pm
@BillRM,
The article said she had clearance to view them but that having them in her home was potentially illegal. I'm not advocating that she be charged, I have no position on the matter, but it appears that it's being looked into.
BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 12:58 pm
@JPB,
As I said there had been no history of charging people in that position that I am aware of so the likelihood of her being charge is small to tiny in my opinion.
0 Replies