CIA Chief Petraeus resigns as result of extra-marital affair

JPB

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 09:30 am
@Mame,
That works.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 09:30 am
I'm with FF and Mame on this one--sordid is the word.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 09:31 am
@Setanta,
None taken.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 09:37 am
@firefly,
Quote:
These people all sound like they were using each other.

So? How does that fact make them difference from the rest of the human race?
Mame

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 09:39 am
@BillRM,
Excuse me? I don't know what circle you hang with, but that doesn't happen in mine.
revelette

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 09:46 am
@JPB,
According to this article, "I'm an honorary consul general" is overstating it.

“self-appointed” go-between for Central Command officers with Lebanese and other Middle Eastern officials.

However according to this article she was an "honorary consul" between South Korea and the US.

Quote:
"She is an ‘honorary consul' of the Republic of Korea," the official said. "She assumed this position last August thanks to her good connections and network."

The position of honorary consul is symbolic and has no official responsibilities, the official said.

"She does not work as a real consul. They play a role to improve the relationship between the ROK and the U.S.," the official said. "Jill Kelley helped to get support for [the Korea-U.S. Free Trade Agreement] and she arranged meetings between the ROK Ambassador to Washington and local businessmen when the ROK Ambassador visited the Tampa area."

There's no implication that the South Korean government has anything to do with the growing scandal that involves Kelly, Allen, Petraeus, and Paula Broadwell, Petraeus's biographer and alleged mistress. But her work on behalf of the South Koreans may explain some of the 20,000 to 30,000 pages of e-mails between her and Allen that the Defense Department's Inspector General's office is investigating now.

Kelley does drive a Mercedes sedan with license plates that say "Honorary Consul," and she invoked her honorary diplomatic status in a Nov. 11 911 call when she was complaining about trespassers on her private property.

"I'm an honorary consul general, so I have inviolability, so they should not be able to cross my property," she told the 911 operator. "I don't know if you want to get diplomatic protection involved as well, because that's against the law to cross my property because, you know, it's inviolable."

"Ok, no problem, I'll let the officer know," the 911 operator responded.

In fact, "honorary" diplomats have no specific privileges or protections under the 1961 Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations and therefore her property is not actually ''inviolable" as a matter of international law.

source

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 09:52 am
@Mame,
Nonsense all human relationships meet the mutual needs and desires of the people in them otherwise they would not be in them.
Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 09:59 am
Keep in mind, Mame, that Bill speaks of the human race, he does so as an outside observer.
Mame

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 10:12 am
@BillRM,
I'm taking issue with your opinion that all people USE each other. We don't. There's give and take, and sharing and helping. There's no USING, unless you're a narcissist, egomaniac in which case everything revolves around you and you only want friends for what they can do for you. The entire human race is not like that.
Mame

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 10:13 am
@Setanta,
No kidding.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 10:16 am
@Setanta,
Bill looks to be closer to reality than those using the word "sordid".

Is it not sordid when it goes on under the auspices of the local marriage register bureaucrat who has signed a piece of paper which certifies a married woman's right to control her husband's lusts. 2nd and 3rd marriages more so.

When is it not sordid? Look what Cleopatra did to Anthony.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 10:23 am
If someone announces that they are writing a biography of you it is generally considered politic to become friends with them.

The writing of biographies is a species of blackmail sailing under the banner of an objective appraisal of your life.
firefly

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 10:40 am
@spendius,
Quote:
If someone announces that they are writing a biography of you it is generally considered politic to become friends with them.

He allowed her to be his official biographer--his archivist--and to write the only biography that he has authorized. He gave her the job. And we can guess at what she gave him in return.

And, from all accounts, her book paints a glowing picture of the man.

Sounds like a perfect arrangement between two narcissists.
Enzo

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 10:56 am
@firefly,
Why would someone bankrupt themselves and close to that timeline conduct high end parties for the military?
Does she see some expected payback somewhere sometime from someone for some work?

Quote:
"Kelley's brother, David Khawam, told WPVI-TV in Philadelphia on Monday night that the allegations have spilled out quickly.

"It's a shock. We're trying to figure out where the pieces are falling right now," he said in an interview at his law office in Westmont, N.J.

He said his family left Lebanon for suburban Philadelphia's Huntingdon Valley in the 1970s to escape the turmoil in their homeland. His parents opened a Middle Eastern restaurant in Voorhees, N.J., called Sahara.

"My family is very patriotic; we came from Lebanon at a young age," he said."

Counter-intelligence people would be very foolish if they didn't look into it. The concern to me wouldn't be that she is a Lebanon (or any other Arab country), but rather that she apparently made major efforts to get close socially to military brass who had responsibilities for a certain very important part of the world, and that she has family ties in the same part of the world. It might just be a coincidence, and if her husband had take a job in Honolulu, she might have made the same kind of efforts to get close to senior people at CINCPAC headquarters despite having no family ties to Asia or the Pacific region. She might just be a well-motivated person who wants to befriend the military. She might be somebody who just likes to be close to power. But the circumstances certainly are such as to demand that they be seriously looked into, and I'm somewhat convinced they will be.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:00 am
Benghazi pre-election: Almost no MSM coverage

Petraeus post-election: Exhaustive MSM coverage.

Timing is apparently everything when it comes to a scandal.
spendius

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:00 am
@firefly,
Quote:
Sounds like a perfect arrangement between two narcissists.

That's a serious criticism of the process through which the general arrived in the responsible posts he did.

You have hindsightitis ff.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:02 am
I wondered if this was going to get bigger...

Quote:
Paula Broadwell, the author who allegedly had an affair with former CIA Director David Petraeus, is suspected of storing significant amounts of military documents, including classified material, at her home, potentially in violation of federal law.
A source familiar with case told ABC News that Broadwell admitted to the FBI she took the documents from secure government buildings. The government demanded that they all be given back, and when federal agents descended on her North Carolina home on Monday night it was a pre-arranged meeting.

Prosecutors are now determining whether to charge Broadwell with a crime, and this morning the FBI and military are poring over the material. The 40-year-old author, who wrote the biography on Gen. Petraeus "All In," is cooperating and the case, which is complicated by the fact that as an intelligence officer in the U.S. Military Reserve she had security clearance to review the documents. More
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:09 am
@Mame,
Quote:
There's no USING, unless you're a narcissist, egomaniac in which case everything revolves around you and you only want friends for what they can do for you. The entire human race is not like that.

I agree.

These people, the entire cast of characters, all seem very untrustworthy and motivated mainly by self-interest, and what they can get from each other--and that's not true of most people. It's also why they've managed to ensnare each other in such an unsavory web of alliances--judgment, and consideration of consequences, seems to have taken a backseat with all of them.

The exposure of this crap, particularly on the part of a CIA director, and another 4 star General, was probably for the good. These men were seriously compromising their other obligations, and it's better that has been revealed.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:18 am
@firefly,
So far this entire cast of characrors seem to be fairly normal, and nothing that has been bought to light so far has been particularly wrong other than the secret leaking and the backstabing of the bitch girlfriend.
Enzo

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:22 am
@hawkeye10,
There is nothing normal about it. It's sex and rich people again, just that in this case it may involve 4 people in libya, the security of the country we live in, and may as well indirectly involve the president. This is seemingly going way beyond just a case of adultery. It's strange that it now involves a second woman with finacial troubles, and a General with more emails under his belt than a Nigerian internet scam artist. One of those things that make you go "hmmmmmmm..."