Questions regarding graveyards

yjj

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:29 pm
This is a question for people in their 50s 60s.
Is it important for you to visit graves?
With so many new burial options (for examples, your body can be cremated and be kept in a locket for a necklace) how important is it for you be buried in a graveyard?
Also, how do you like the idea of being buried far away from where you live?

jcboy

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:34 pm
@yjj,
It’s not important for me to be buried in a cemetery. I want to be cremated but not put in some locket. Someone might lose the locket and someone else will find it and probably flush me down the toilet Cool
djjd62

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:35 pm
@yjj,
yjj wrote:
how do you like the idea of being buried far away from where you live?

i hope not to be buried anywhere near where i live

i hope to be dead when i'm buried
yjj

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 02:06 pm
@djjd62,
Oops. Let me reword that question.
Would you like to be buried in a place where you've spent most of your time when you were alive.

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 02:15 pm
@yjj,
No. I am donating my body to science. Really. It's a family tradition and it costs nothing.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 02:41 pm
@yjj,
Let me ask you a question: why do you want to know?
jcboy

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 02:48 pm
@Ragman,
Necklace for sale? Cool
Ragman

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 02:49 pm
@jcboy,
Let me see..if I were dead and cremated, how can I wear a necklace? Things that make you say 'hmmm"?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 02:49 pm
@yjj,
yjj wrote:
Would you like to be buried in a place where you've spent most of your time when you were alive.

in bed? (we spend about 1/3 of our life there)
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 03:22 pm
@yjj,
Once I'm dead, I really don't give a flying **** what happens to this carcass called a body.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 05:19 pm
@jcboy,
Don't worry, your remains won't all fit into a locket Smile

I don't intend to be buried - I'd like to be cremated and flushed down the incinerator. My daughter is appalled by the idea but I think she'll come 'round by the time I expire.
0 Replies

yjj

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:07 pm
@Ragman,
School project. Redesigning cemeteries.
roger

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:53 pm
@yjj,
Then consider vertical placement or stacking.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:07 pm
@yjj,
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 10:33 am
I had some of my late wife's ashes turned into diamonds.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 11:36 am
@yjj,
yjj wrote:

School project. Redesigning cemeteries.

Actually, that's an interesting project. Personally, I think that cemeteries as we know them are a thing of the past. I predict that in the not too distant future there will be a public relations effort to convince people that it's more chic to store and display your loved one's ashes on the mantlepiece. Or wherever. Or whatever. But the point is that graveyards are a waste of often valuable real estate. It seems silly to take up that much open space just to store dead bodies when the property could be home to a shopping mall or a high-rise residential complex. Land will get more and more scarce as the earth's human population continues to increase and I don't think people will want to waste it just to dispose of cadavers which could be disposed of in much more useful ways.
Swimpy

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 08:33 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I like the idea of having my body composted and used for fertilizer. They do it with dead cattle, why not dead people?
Sturgis

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 10:42 am
@yjj,
Quote:
This is a question for people in their 50s 60s.
Is it important for you to visit graves?
With so many new burial options (for examples, your body can be cremated and be kept in a locket for a necklace) how important is it for you be buried in a graveyard?
Also, how do you like the idea of being buried far away from where you live?

No reason to visit a gravesite, it's just a piece of land with something inside a hole in the ground, not the actual soul of the deceased.

I have no interest in being buried in a graveyard or anywhere. Cremation is an idea for what to do with whatever is left of me after medical science and the buzzards finish with me. No concern what happens with the cremains as I will be dead. That said, I can see being scattered from an airplane over the unsuspecting residents of the city.

Distance does not matter for burial sites as I don't plan on visiting.

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 02:09 pm
@Swimpy,
Absolutely agree with that, Swimpy.
0 Replies