What if things were linear instead of circular?

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 09:53 pm
We are taught in circular ways. We are born, we live, we die. Intro, body, conclusion. What if birth and death were taught as two points on a line, instead of two points which are somehow connected?
This question is of a practical nature. If we were taught that life was linear- that we kept moving through time- would we enjoy old age more? It is my impression that many people spend a lot of time "concluding" when they could still be living their life and growing as people until the end.

Krumple

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 09:55 pm
@A Lyn Fei,
A Lyn Fei wrote:

We are taught in circular ways. We are born, we live, we die. Intro, body, conclusion. What if birth and death were taught as two points on a line, instead of two points which are somehow connected?
This question is of a practical nature. If we were taught that life was linear- that we kept moving through time- would we enjoy old age more? It is my impression that many people spend a lot of time "concluding" when they could still be living their life and growing as people until the end.

I was under the impression that people already do think life is linear.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 09:56 pm
I'd say that western civilization has modeled almost everything as linear and not cyclical.

Can you give some examples of circular things?

A
R
T
A Lyn Fei

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 10:08 pm
@failures art,
I would not call a beginning, middle, and end linear. I would call it an arch. I called it circular because I was relating the idea to life cycles. We are born, we live, we die. We end up where we began- as nothing. Or, if you are religious, wherever you think you were and will be again. That is circular. And I believe it causes us to "give up" just after the half way mark in our lives. We give up to going back to the beginning. Is it not important to keep living as though it is worthwhile even though we will die? I believe it would actually increase our lifespan.
laughoutlood

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:56 pm
@A Lyn Fei,
Quote:
What if things were linear instead of circular?

Your insight torus apart.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 12:01 am
This place is like a rhombus room.
laughoutlood

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 12:09 am
@Chumly,
The inverted bell has gone all pear shaped in the stirrup curve with the rod.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 03:52 am
beginning -----------middle -----------end
Birth..... life........ death
Nothing but lines there for me

work, eat, sleep. (Which is where i seem to be stuck at present) might be circular.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 04:40 am
@A Lyn Fei,
A Lyn Fei wrote:

I would not call a beginning, middle, and end linear. I would call it an arch. I called it circular because I was relating the idea to life cycles. We are born, we live, we die. We end up where we began- as nothing.
That's not circular, a circle demands a continual cycle, your description has a clear beginning and a clear end, as there are no clear end nor beginning in a circle.
0 Replies

A Lyn Fei

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 08:30 am
Why always so focused on semantics? To me life is a cycle- a circle. That is simply what I think. Circle or line, though, isn't the point. The point is that we put an enormous amount of time into the last stage of our life, and many people stop acting as though there is a reason to keep living.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 01:27 pm
@A Lyn Fei,
Hi A Lyn!

I can't not see the cycle not circular but choose to anyway.

mark...
0 Replies