Flat tax

Portal Star

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 11:52 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Portal Star wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
Dispute it if you will Caprice. <shrugs>

Cost of living should go into calculating the minimum wage.

Is this a general comment? Or is it a reference to the post Caprixe was talking about?

If it is a general comment that minimum wage should factor in the cost of life I'd note that cost of life is a factor in minimum wage for many countries.

If it's supposed to have any relation whatsoever with my post being referenced please explain what it is.

My post was pretty simple, and it was about how the perceived equality of equal taxation of income ends up being very different when it comes to the rate at which "spending money" is taxed.

What does minimum wage have to do with that?

Quote:
We'd have to be careful with a huge sales tax. In a way, our society runs on the fact that everyone buys frivolous junk and consideres it valuble. If we stop spending, we will stop producing, and that means less jobs, and so on. The sales taxes would have to be so high they would be crushing, unless there were major government cutbacks (which I think we need anyway.)

You made it seem like the poor were paying a higher percentage, when they would be paying the exact same percentage as everyone else. If you make $1.00 a year, that's about 20 cents. If you make $10,000 a year, that's $2,000. That's a tax burden exactly proportionate to income. There would have to be a cut off point (the example who made a dollar wouldn't have to pay.) And, once everyone cares about taxes, and votes like they care about taxes, they will go down. As you pointed out, some wealthy will have to pay more.

Someone pointed out that a flat tax wouldn't be representative of the cost of living in different areas. I don't think our taxes are now. But that wouldn't be a problem under the flat tax if minimum wage was calculated based on cost of living (I think it is - but on average).
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 12:00 pm
I'm all for a flat tax. Everyone pays the same percentage Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 02:18 pm
Portal Star wrote:
You made it seem like the poor were paying a higher percentage, when they would be paying the exact same percentage as everyone else.

False, please do not engage in debate so sloppy that you allege things I never said or implied.

You need to be specific. "Same percentage" of what?

I said that in a flat tax the percentage of income taxed might be the same but that the percentage of "spending money" would not.

I never once "made it seem like the poor are paying a higher percentage" of income. They are not.

But they are paying a higher percentage of spending money.

Please do not be so sloppy, they are two very different statistics.

Quote:
If you make $1.00 a year, that's about 20 cents. If you make $10,000 a year, that's $2,000. That's a tax burden exactly proportionate to income.

Proportionate to income but not proportionate to the ability to pay out of said income.

The point I made was how quality in taxation of income is no indication of equality in taxation of available money to pay with.

You are focusing of the perceived equality of income tacation in a flat tax to ignore all the inequality that does not suit your fancy.

This is your prerogative but I'd appreciate it if you demonstrated the ability to understand what I am saying before trying to argue against it.

I've never said that a flat tax would tax income at an inequal rate. I said that said perception of equality disregards the substantial inequality there would be when you look at other statistics.

So if you want to challenge statistics stick with the same ones, challenging one statistic by referring to another is just more sloppy logic.

Quote:
Someone pointed out that a flat tax wouldn't be representative of the cost of living in different areas. But that wouldn't be a problem under the flat tax if minimum wage was calculated based on cost of living (I think it is - but on average).

You aren't making sense. To make the proportions of money paid after living expenses are deducted equal everyone would have to have the same sallary.

So the minimum wage would have to be the maximum wage. Rolling Eyes

Or, the tax would have to take the ability to pay into consideration, as it currently does.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 05:10 pm
Umbagog, a "progressive flat tax" is a contradiction in terms. Its either flat, or progressive. Cant be both. I'm for progressive.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 05:11 pm
O damn, I'd only seen the first page of posts!

'K, then I was probably inanely late with my comment ...
0 Replies