Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 05:18 pm
I listened to Rush Limbaugh today. His head was exploding as he recounted how Romney "couldnt lose' and everything from Soros ' manipukation of several state elections to the lying manipulation by DEMS in general/ was rponsible for this unthinkeable defeat.

Nyuk nyuk.

He couldnt face the fact that his candidate, who emerged from the right to win the nomintion , to then advance to the center to win the election , and who,, all l the while was carrying a vice president who apparently. shared nothing substantive with the top of the ticket.
Rush, in all his wisdom, was apparently too dim to even recognize that Americans arent that stupid not to miss the fact that Romney truly earned the title of the "Etch a Sketch" candidate.
Where else did he screw up (Romney, not Limbaugh) to lose a close election that , conventional wisdom said, was his to lose all along.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 39 • Views: 18,411 • Replies: 428

View best answer, chosen by farmerman
sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 05:26 pm
@farmerman,
Changing positions so often -- the whole "severely conservative" thing, and then tacking back to the center.

47% was big.

Not being nice enough to Christie, I'd wager. (I don't think Christie was mostly calculating when he embraced Obama re: Sandy, but I think that there had to have been a certain lack of a bond between him and Romney for that to happen.)

The whole robot/ stiff/ fake thing. That lent itself to these sorts of memes:

http://postnoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Babies.jpg

Running against a really skilled campaigner who is also an incumbent who is also getting the country back on track after the last president (who not incidentally was a Republican) left a pretty bad mess, partly through circumstances outside of his control and partly specifically because of things he did.

More but trying to do five things at once, will stop there.
sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 05:29 pm
@farmerman,
Romney was amazingly mirror-image of Kerry btw -- I well remember trying to get up enough energy to support Kerry and regretting his upper class twit-ness and inability to connect. It was the same process, figuring out who was most likely to unseat the incumbent, rather than who was the best candidate.

I emerged from that experience determined to support an individual who seemed like an excellent candidate and potential leader, rather than someone who ticked as many attribute boxes as possible. And that's a big part of what led me to Obama.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 05:32 pm
@farmerman,
The problem isn't that Romney ran an awful campaign (he did, but that wasn't the main problem).

The problem is that they were stuck with Romney as a candidate. A candidate who they didn't love, and who was toxic.

Bain Capital? Toxic.

Romney's tax returns? Toxic.

Romney's record? Toxic.

Romney failed the vetting as McCain's running mate, but he managed to win the nomination without disclosing his tax returns.

I'm guessing the Republicans won't make that mistake again.
JPB

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 05:58 pm
Two Congressional media tweets I saw today:

Four words Romney never should have said, "Let Detriot Go Bankrupt"

And a response tweet:

Or, "Self deport"

He lost the rust belt with the first statement and the latino vote with the second. Both were made well before the general election. He lost before he ever went head-to-head against Obama.
Thomas

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:18 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
WHERE DID ROMNEY SCREW UP?

Basically, he didn't. He really was the Republican party's best shot. No other candidate could have won the Republican primaries and done better in the national election. What we have here is a failure of the product, not the salesman. It is the product, the Republican platform, that the party now needs to improve.
JPB

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:22 pm
@Thomas,
I agree, but there are so many competing factions within the Republican party that each believe there's is the best way forward. They'll either continue to pick candidates who can't possibly win a national election or they'll split up into their respective factions and run their own races.
farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:24 pm
@sozobe,
Summarizing; youve stated that Obama was merely the lesser of the two evils (still evil though)

yes?
Thomas

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:26 pm
@farmerman,
Not Obama. Kerry was.
farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:31 pm
@sozobe,
Upper class twitness was an issue that my circle of friends dwelled on. We wererecalling the Monty Python routine of "Twit of the Year" Romney, who easily morphed into Thurston Howell Romney III came right out of that. The old Bush chestnut of "Would you wanna have a beer with this guy?"

HELL NO was the answer
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:33 pm
@DrewDad,
Yet he garnered an incredible number of votes in the main. Id think that some of his failings would be even nore transparent.
Im beginning to reconsider that maybe the electorate IS that stupid.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:34 pm
He screwed up because he came out against women, gays and everyone but the rich in this country!

Good riddance to Romney!
farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:35 pm
@JPB,
latino participiation in the electoral process increased by 2 or so percentage points each election cycle (presidential)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:36 pm
@Thomas,
You really think so? BEST SHOT?? naah, as JPB said, vetting is done in a panic these lst two GOP candidates.
Below viewing threshold (view)
farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:37 pm
@JPB,

GOP essentials for the presidency

1remain true to the party core beliefs
or

2 Win an election

(You must choose only one)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:41 pm
@jcboy,
ROMNEY took teeny chunks out of cumulative support , the upshot was he lost the popular vote only by 3 million votes our of about 113 million cast.
Chances are , there was someone on our cumulative list of people and groups he dissed that it got him the "death by a thousand paper cuts"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:59 pm
@Baldimo,
"media" is composed of several heads on this hydra. Fox, and the Christian stations, balance the NBC's and the spinoof cables. However, the stations got quite wealthy taking al ads at particularly juicy time slots. Radio tlk is almost ENTIRELY right wing stentorian bullshittery isnt it? I callthat media of the highest order. Its run by Fox, Clear Channel, ABC and several of the huge big city channels like WOR and WPHT in Philly. I cant dial the dial without hitting right wing "news/talk'' every ten kilocycles

The very article you quote is spin isnt it? Its media from a right wing POV
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 08:00 pm
I never believed for a minute Romney had a chance of winning. The only people that wanted a Romney win were those that wanted anyone but the black man. White racist crackers in this country. A good example would be Baldimo!
farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 08:02 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
the senior citizen who had to choose between medicine and food. But this year, with an economy as bad as any since the Great Depression, those sympathetic anecdotes have vanished from the airwaves — a huge favor to Obama and the Democrats.

I dont know where you get that crap from , but its not from within this time/space continuum. All that **** was old news on the Faux news network and Wash Post, and Freep. Cmon, ya gotta read many sides of the issue before you are able to claim favoritism
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » WHERE DID ROMNEY SCREW UP?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:25:49