revelette

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 11:14 am
@spendius,
Example of why Romney lost who basically represented the loudest republicans during the election cycle.

The war on men

Women have been working more, but they still haven't completely closed the unequal pay issue.

Quote:
Women are paid significantly less than men are in nearly every occupation. Because pay equity affects women and their families in all walks of life, it is not surprising that many women consider the issue important. Many business leaders also believe that pay equity is “good business,” because it improves morale and productivity. Yet progress in closing the gap between men’s and women’s pay has been slow and, in recent years, has stagnated.

For more than 130 years, the American Association of University Women (AAUW) has advocated for gender equity in education and the workplace. During this time, women have gone from a small minority on college campuses to a majority of the student body. Today, women make up half the workforce, but they continue to earn less than men do throughout their careers.

Why does this gender pay gap persist? This question is a focal point of AAUW’s research and advocacy work. Graduating to a Pay Gap finds that women working full time already earn less than their male counterparts do just one year after college graduation. Taking a closer look at the data, we find that women’s choices—college major, occupation, hours at work—do account for part of the pay gap. But about one-third of the gap remains unexplained, suggesting that bias and discrimination are still
problems in the workplace.

source

So yeah, progress is good and regression is bad concerning equal pay for equal work for women. Romney answer to the question of equal pay for equal work was a false story about going out to find binders full of women.

It was an accumulation of such issues which persisted until ultimately on election day, more women and minorities voted for Obama than they did Romney.

On almost any given minority group, fox news and republicans make these ridiculous statements and then they wonder why each of the minority groups supported democrats over republicans in the 2012 election.
sozobe

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 11:39 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I don't believe that blacks have issues separate from the rest of the country, so when I see them voting to that drastic a degree - over 90 percent - it's wrong to me.

What about it is wrong though, and how does that link to "in the pocket"?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 11:46 am
@sozobe,
Lash wrote,
Quote:
so when I see them voting to that drastic a degree - over 90 percent - it's wrong to me.

Why?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 12:03 pm
@revelette,
Quote:
Why does this gender pay gap persist?

Because pay finds a natural level according to what the traffic will bear. Obviously. The supermarket checkout decides. I suppose that is one of those truths that some people don't wish to know.

The producers have to know it.

There are a number of other pay gaps as well.
snood

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 08:38 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Lash wrote:

I don't believe that blacks have issues separate from the rest of the country, so when I see them voting to that drastic a degree - over 90 percent - it's wrong to me.

What about it is wrong though, and how does that link to "in the pocket"?

Obama won a majority of white votes only in New England, New York, and Hawaii.

Does this mean that white voters are "in the pocket" of the GOP?
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 09:40 am
I don't think the GOP has learned a single lesson from the recent election. Take a look at their line up for House GOP committee Chairs.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/880196/thumbs/s-HOUSE-REPUBLICANS-large300.jpg?6

House GOP Committee Chairs Will All Be White Men In Next Congress
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 10:05 am
Romney is having lunch with Obama in the private dining room tomorrow. No press allowed. I'd actually love to be a fly on the wall for that meeting. I wonder if they're going to frisk all of the waitstaff?
ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 10:07 am
@JPB,
maybe Romney will get a nice gig as Ambassador to Mexico or something similar
JPB

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 10:30 am
@ehBeth,
or be appointed Obamacare czar?
sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 10:47 am
@JPB,
Ha!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 11:24 am
There's an interesting point at the end of this long article about the possibility of Obama offering Romney a cabinet level position.

Quote:
But I think, going forward, maybe the person he can learn from now is Franklin Roosevelt. If we assume the recession is not simply a problem that’s slowly recovering but that there’s a deeper problem with the economy, then Obama should possibly bring some CEO into the government in a senior-level position the way Roosevelt did. He needed to mobilize for the war, so he brought in the head of Sears Roebuck and the head of Chrysler, in addition to those two Republicans in his Cabinet. He was able to create the greatest business-government partnership probably in the history of our country, as business guys came through building ships, tanks, weapons and planes that were used by our allies in all corners of the world.

It’s hard for some of today’s business leaders to go through the whole process of what they have to reveal in order to come into the government. Yet just as it was true for the CEOs in Roosevelt’s time—who felt like they wanted to give back to their country, which had given so much to them—I think for some top business leaders, the chance to really help get our country mobilized for the future in a better way would be a great honor and a great challenge.

Do you think he should extend the invitation to Mitt Romney in some form?

You know, I had thought he would. But I think it just depends now on what Romney takes away from the election, and if he takes away what he said the other day—that he simply lost because Obama had given gifts to various segments of the population—that kind of thinking would make it hard. I had originally thought that it would be a good idea. He could come in and deal with a lot of the export-import issues. But I think it’s now a challenge for Romney himself to figure out what went wrong and if he really has the power within him to see that perhaps part of it had to do with the Republican primary system. It will take him acknowledging what happened, before he can take the next step of contributing going forward.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 11:35 am
@JPB,
No, Obama should not give Romney any position in his administration. Romney is too clueless on issues relating to the middle class and the poor, minorities, and women. He's a bomb ready to explode that will only embarrass this country.
JPB

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 12:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
And he certainly couldn't offer him anything on the international scene. I have no idea...
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 12:01 pm
@JPB,
Romney has no sense of this country or its people. How can he possibly help?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 12:07 pm
@JPB,
he could be our ambassador to the banking industry...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 04:59 pm
@spendius,
Revelette's question should be posed to the White House where the gender pay gap is alive and well.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 05:01 pm
@JPB,
I don't think it would ever happen but it would be one hell of a political jujitsu throw.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 08:03 am
Quote:
President Barack Obama is welcoming Mitt Romney to the White House on Thursday for a private lunch, their first meeting since the election. But welcome him onto his Cabinet?

"No," White House press secretary Jay Carney said Wednesday.

Still, "it will be a substantial lunch, if not on the plate, then in the discussion," Carney said.

source
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 08:06 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Take another look at that picture, not only are there no women but no other minority group is represented either.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 08:22 am
@revelette,
"Other" minority?

Women are underrepresented in Congress and the Senate, but they are not a minority.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 10:50:27