revelette

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 08:36 am
@DrewDad,
I am not always up on the right terms, usually, people say, "women and minorities" so of course your right. So I should have said, not only no women but no minorities represented either.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 03:03 pm
Saw this and thought of this thread, re: why a given group would support one party over another (in this case, Asians and the Democrats):

Quote:
We provided some answers in a recent op-ed in the Los Angeles Times, where we largely draw attention to actions by the Clinton administration in the 1990s that appealed to Asian American voters, and subsequent “push” factors by a vocal set of Republican officials that portrayed a party as exclusionary on religion and strictly conservative on immigration. We also show, relying on our 2008 and 2012 data, that the Obama administration enacted policies on issues such as health care, education, and the Iraq War that had overwhelming support among Asian Americans. He also appointed a record number of Asian Americans, from Cabinet positions to the World Bank, and even his judicial nominations of people like Goodwin Liu received widespread attention and support among Asian American organizations and news media. Thus, a variety of “push” and “pull” factors on the Republican and Democratic sides, respectively, help explain the dramatic shift in Asian American voters over the last 20 years.

http://themonkeycage.org/blog/2012/11/29/asian-americans-voted-democrat-we-should-not-be-surprised/ (via Andrew Sullivan)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 04:28 pm
@revelette,
What picture?
DrewDad

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 04:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I suspect she means this one:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/880196/thumbs/s-HOUSE-REPUBLICANS-large300.jpg?6
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 05:17 pm
@DrewDad,
What about it, and what does it have to do with gender pay gap?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 07:57 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

Take another look at that picture, not only are there no women but no other minority group is represented either.

I think Darryl Issa is half-Lebanese.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 08:30 pm
@snood,
I first read that as half lesbian...
snood

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 08:54 pm
@Rockhead,
LOL - Well, then they would have the ethnic AND the gender boxes checked.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 06:23 pm
Today Boehner named a woman to chair the House Administration Committee. She's charged with "House-keeping". I kid you not. Has there ever been a Speaker caught more between a rock and a hard place?

Quote:
(CNN) – House Speaker John Boehner named Rep. Candice Miller of Michigan as the chairman of the House Administration Committee on Friday, three days after the Republican conference took heat for electing only males as committee heads.

"From ensuring the House runs efficiently and smoothly, to making Congress more open and accessible, Candice has a big job ahead as chairman of the House Administration Committee," Boehner said in the statement.

And she wasn't previously on the committee and there's a man who was and wanted the role.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:40:39