Who do you want to vote for in 2016?

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:51 am
@jcboy,
I think Joe Biden is going to decide to spend more time with his family in 2016. The party will want someone younger or with more charisma. I still think Hillary will consider it if no other standout emerges.
The GOP has got to realize their voting base is the ever shrinking White Southern Boys drinking RC colas and eating moon pies demographic. The Tea Party candidates are going to be like zombies for years to come.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:56 am
@ossobuco,
Good article, osso, and thanks for sharing it. I think there's a lot of truth in that article about Hispanics and Asians, and the reason for their political bent.

I also believe the GOP has a strange way of alienating Hispanics and Asians on the issue of immigration, and on social issues that belongs in the home - not on th e national political stage. We don't want to be told by our government who we can marry or can't marry, have the "freedom"' to have an abortion based on individual circumstances, and tax the wealthy at higher rates than being paid by the average joe.

They're just "common sense" issues that the GOP doesn't understand.

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:57 am
@ossobuco,
Interesting. I'm sure Romney sent the Chinese-Americans into the arms of the Democrats with his cold-war sounding rant about them.
JPB

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:59 am
@Green Witch,
Time magazine has a special election issue hitting the newsstands tomorrow. It includes an article and photographic portraits of many people who were asked to sit for a portrait as part of a story on individuals who expect to be influential in the US political scene in 24-48 months. It doesn't come right out and say that they are people who are considering a run for pres but that was the innuendo this morning on Morning Joe. There was a quick flip through of the photos (I didn't catch them all or recognize them all) beginning at 4:30 on the video
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:10 am
@JPB,
A question; will those big donors to Romney have buyers remorse in 2016?

$5-6 billion for "nothing" is pretty expensive - from MPOV. This is the party that complained about Solyndra's "waste of money" of $535 million. At least the $535 was used to help an American business over billions spent on illegal wars and reconstruction costs in other countries. Also the billions that disappeared under GW Bush in Iraq.

The GOP has the temerity to complain about the "small" stuff, but agrees to spend billions that are wasted in other countries.

Sturgis

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:14 am
@JPB,
Quote:
Time magazine has a special election issue hitting the newsstands tomorrow. It includes an article and photographic portraits of many people who were asked to sit for a portrait as part of a story on individuals who...

Hillary Clinton, Julian Castro, Jeb Bush, Condoleezza Rice, Joe Biden, Andrew Cuomo, Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, Martin O'Malley, Bobby Jindal, Kirsten Gillibrand, Rahm Emanuel, Nikki Haley

http://lightbox.time.com/2012/11/07/times-class-of-2016-the-political-leaders-to-watch/#1

Quote:
As Barack Obama and Mitt Romney fought for the presidency this fall, TIME contract photographer Marco Grob was crisscrossing the country to meet the men and women who may be doing the same four years from now.

From September to October, Grob, a Swiss photographer based in New York, traveled to 10 states and Washington, D.C., to shoot the 13 political leaders who comprise TIME’s Class of 2016 (Hillary Clinton and Andrew Cuomo were photographed earlier this year). “This series was very exciting because the fact that one of these politicians could be the next president was always on my mind,” says Grob, who took a variety of different kinds of shots and snapped extra rolls of photos to memorialize the moment.

Some of the subjects in Grob’s essay are American political royalty. Among the luminaries on TIME’s list are a First Lady (and now Secretary of State), a First Brother, six current and former governors and the current vice-president. Others, like San Antonio mayor Julián Castro and Florida Senator Marco Rubio, are rising stars – members of the fastest-growing demographic group in the U.S., men marked for higher office within their parties.

In the space of a single 48-hour stretch, the whirlwind assignment whisked Grob from Palo Alto, Calif., to Columbus, Ohio, to Baton Rouge. None of the subjects hinted at their political aspirations, and Grob preferred not to ask. “I don’t talk to them about their plans. I actually think it’s better if they don’t think I know much about their political careers,” he says. “They feel they can open up more.”

Breaking through that veneer of formality was one of the tasks confronting Grob, whose portfolio of portraits for TIME includes comedians and actors, world leaders and Ground Zero first responders. Politicians are trained are trained to stay on script. Grob’s challenge was to get them to veer from it. “Politicians, of all my subjects, are the most self-aware. They’re careful not to lose any voters, so they don’t get into anything controversial,” he says. His trick? “I always let them smile for a couple frames, but then I aim to make a more thoughtful portrait,” he says. “When you smile, you cover up your true face—that’s just what humans do.”

Alex Altman is a Washington correspondent for TIME. Follow him on Twitter @aaltman82.

Marco Grob is a contract photographer for TIME. View more of his work for TIME here or on his website.

Related Topics: Andrew Cuomo, Bobby Jindal, Chris Christie, Condoleezza Rice, Democrat, Election 2016, hillary clinton, Jeb Bush, Joe Biden, Julian Castro, Kirsten Gillibrand, Marco Grob, Marco Rubio, Martin O'Malley, Nikki Haley, Portraits, Rahm Emanuel, Republican, Washington D.C.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:18 pm
@Green Witch,
I have my doubts about Hillary running, she really has been looking kinda unhealthy. I read something somewhere about how much time she spends on the plane and I think it has gotten to her. But perhaps she will have time to rest up before contemplating another run for President.
sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:31 pm
@revelette,
Meanwhile, we're talking about Hillary -- what about Michelle? Smile

(I don't think she'd want to.)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:34 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Who are your picks?

I shall vote for myself, if I get the funds to run.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:36 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Interesting. I'm sure Romney sent the Chinese-Americans into the arms of the Democrats with his cold-war sounding rant about them.

I spent dinner on election night with Chinese customers. When I was there a few weeks ago, election coverage was on the front page of every paper, especially Romney's saber rattling. (They weren't thrilled with Obama's comments either.) Every one of my visitors was pulling for Obama.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:45 pm
@revelette,
Part of it is just being 65 and not having facial work done the way many celebrities fight age. She would be almost 70 if she ran in 2016, and that alone might disqualify her from some peoples way of thinking.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:52 pm
@engineer,

Green Witch wrote:
engineer wrote:
I spent dinner on election night with Chinese customers. When I was there a few weeks ago, election coverage was on the front page of every paper, especially Romney's saber rattling. (They weren't thrilled with Obama's comments either.) Every one of my visitors was pulling for Obama.
Shud Americans be influenced by that
when thay vote?
Effectively giving the aliens a proxy ?
Is that what u favor ?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
engineer never, ever, suggested such a stupid response. You're an attorney?
jeezus, man, you're more creative than a ten year old.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
If they are Chinese-Americans they are sure to be influenced.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:30 pm
@ehBeth,
I see your point, some have succumbed, I'm sure. But so do some of the young'uns.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Chinese americans are part of our population of citizens.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:42 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
Maybe in 2016 Republicans will ignore the small but loud Tea Party
and embrace the fact that younger voters are more liberal.
Despite his Tea Party support, I can't imagine Marco Rubio won't be in the mix.
I really don't see Joe Biden running and Hillary Clinton keeps saying
she doesn't want to so the Democratic side is wide open too
What purpose woud that serve, Morgan?
People who want liberalism will vote Democrat.
If the Republicans want to please "younger voters who are more liberal"
(or any age of liberals) then Y not just dis-band the Republican Party
and let the Democrats have whoever thay want un-opposed??

That 'd be easier, faster, less expensive, more relaxing and non-duplicative of the Democrats.

Do u see any good coming from duplicating the Democrats' promises ?

The main idea behind conservatism
(i.e., strictly implimenting the principles of the Constitution)
is to curtail & weaken authoritarianism, thereby MAGNIFYING Individual freedom. That was what I voted for.

My ideal vision of government
is Andy, Barney & Gomer Pyle in Mayberry.
If u don't cause any trouble, then thay won't bother u much.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
engineer never, ever, suggested such a stupid response. You're an attorney?
jeezus, man, you're more creative than a ten year old.
Gee, I sure am lucky
to get your input on that.
I was wondering about that just this morning.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:53 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Chinese americans are part of our population of citizens.
I think that the ones who came to America
were REFUGEEs, supporters of Chiang Kai Shek, not Mao.

In candor, I will admit that the Maoists woud support Obama.

David
ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 02:13 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Friends of ours after a visit - we stayed another day it was so great - and some talking, were the Wing family in Hanford, CA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanford,_California

Richard Wing was the chef, and Robert maintained the good wine cellar. Our prix fixe meal involved a very good Heinz Cab.
Richard was the chef for General George Marshall, what year(s) I don't know, assuming back in years. I remember he studied in France. They also had a regular chinese restaurant next door.
I've posted about them on a2k before.

In a lot of ways, OmSig, you are just a pig.

I think they came with the railroad, but I'm not chasing links.
This is the closest for now -

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/1497548?uid=3739816&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21101351540881

My folks got here after the irish famine. Different cultures can understand each other.