Obama victory thread

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 06:38 am
@jcboy,
Id like to see Obama take Fla too. Itd put to bed any of that wingnut hand jobbing about how there was something quite suspicious for the president to have taken these "Swing states"

The only thing they should be looking at was how their candidate alienated almost every group

whaddya call a black lesbian senior citizen in Florida??

A voter
jcboy

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 06:43 am
@farmerman,
I think your right. Florida just might just go to Obama, it’s leaning that way!

Florida tilts Obama's way

Quote:
Florida Democrats chip
away at Republicans

Before Tuesday, Florida Republicans had the wind at their back. But the muscle flexing appeared to backfire and the special interest money, this time, did not translate into landslide victories.
farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 06:51 am
@jcboy,
The ****** Roney only wrote an acceptnce speech. I hope, sometime in the future, it gets revealed to us.
Id love to see what was on his megalomaniacal mind
engineer

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 07:00 am
@farmerman,
I thought this editorial was interesting.

Quote:
It was a victory party fit for the 1 percent.

Over in Chicago, the Obama campaign had invited 10,000 to fill the floor of the McCormick Place convention center. But Romney's election-night event was in a ballroom at the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center that could accommodate a few hundred. Most men wore jackets and ties; women donned dresses and heels. Secret Service agents blocked reporters from mixing with the Romney supporters as they sipped cocktails and nibbled canapes.

Outside the ballroom, waiters in black tie tended bar. Downstairs, Romney's big donors assembled in private rooms for finer fare; guards admitted only those whose credentials said "National Finance Committee."

Romney had spent nearly two years, and hundreds of millions of dollars, trying to convince Americans that he wasn't an out-of-touch millionaire unconcerned about the little people. He very nearly achieved it.

Romney's election-night celebration abandoned any pretense of being a campaign for the common man.

On election night in 2000, George W. Bush hosted an outdoor rally for thousands in Austin. In 2008, Barack Obama addressed a mass of humanity in Chicago's Grant Park.

Then there was Romney's fete -- for which reporters were charged $1,000 a seat.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 07:06 am
@engineer,
On Channel 4 there was a brilliant shot taken after Romney had conceded defeat, most of his supporters had gone home, but there were a few stragglers looking listless and miserable as Fox News broadcast Obama's speech. Then the camera swept across the room to show the guys emptying the bins, they were grinning like Cheshire cats.
farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 07:10 am
@izzythepush,
Sorta like boxing day?

We dodged a bullet with this guy.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 07:16 am
@farmerman,
A Boxing Day when you only got socks for Christmas, and not even good socks.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 07:38 am
@izzythepush,
Wow, really?

There was a cartoon about that scenario posted here somewhere (too many threads on the same basic topic around, so I'm not sure where) -- old fat cat watching TV unhappily (election results, it's implied) as his staff wait on him and also watch the TV very happily! Interesting that the real version of this was caught.
jespah

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 07:44 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I thought this editorial was interesting.

Quote:
It was a victory party fit for the 1 percent....

It continues to amaze me how/why anyone in their right mind in the Romney camp tagged Romney as being, in some magical, mystical way, a "native son" of Massachusetts. He grew up in freakin' Michigan. And he rarely spent any time here even when he was Governor.

And because we are the bluest state in the US, he was also doomed to never carry us. It was a weird, losing proposition from the get-go. Of course he also didn't carry Michigan, but he had much more of a fighting chance there. But, bottom line, he didn't hold a big rally-style "victory" party here because they knew we common folk would crash the party and give him hell.

I recall in 1980; I was an Anderson supporter and went to his party, then I went up two flights to the Reagan victory party, where things were a lot livelier. Of course this was way earlier than 9/11 and it was not his home base (his was California of course) but I recall there being a freer atmosphere and people were friendly even though my pals and I were wearing rather obvious and showy Anderson paraphernalia. Hell, I recall getting hit on (I was 18 at the time). I cannot see that kind of free access and out and out pleasantness in the Romney campaign and party. With the Reagan folk, egad, 32 years ago, at least for that night there was a feeling that we could set aside our differences and just be cordial to one another. I have never been a Reagan supporter and I am no apologist for him, but those people didn't look down their noses as a symptom of class warfare like I saw this week.
JPB

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 07:50 am
@jespah,
Quote:
On the final flight of his campaign Tuesday afternoon, Romney ventured to the back of his plane for a chat with reporters and discovered that — horrors! — the poor wretches were seated in coach accommodations.

“I thought you had bigger seats back here,” he told them.

Jesus H. Christ!

We can excuse someone of means who has an occasional Marie Antoinette moment. What Mitt was unable to shed is not just the image, but the reality, that he truly is the modern day Marie.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 08:25 am
@sozobe,
Yes really. Here's the clip, but I don't know if you can watch it outside the UK. The binmen are shown at about 4.02.

http://www.channel4.com/news/bitter-taste-of-defeat-for-romneys-republicans
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 08:42 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
The ****** Roney only wrote an acceptnce speech. I hope, sometime in the future, it gets revealed to us.
Id love to see what was on his megalomaniacal mind

Which might help to explain why it took almost an hour for him to concede after it was called on all the networks including fox which prompted a weird dispute between Rove and Fox News.

Karl Rove Argues With Fox News About Whether Obama Won Ohio

They also had some kind of new fangled internal poll thing called "Orca Project" which they relied on through out the whole campaign.
Romney Campaign Enlists Help of 'Killer Whale' Project to Get Out the Vote
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 08:56 am
@jespah,
My band played a fundraiser for Anderson. Ihave to admit though, we did it for the money (a small amount) the free food and drink, and the independent ass we took home later. Very Happy
0 Replies