Obama victory thread

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 08:00 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I like to add more frosting on the victory cake. Okay it may be a second and unnecessary layer of frosting but I'm really enjoying the sweetness.
Quote:

With nearly all precincts reporting, Obama is winning the state with 0.50 percent lead. The threshold to trigger an automatic recount? 0.50 percent. This result may change and break further in Obama's favor because, as The Miami Herald reports, some of the outstanding votes are in Miami-Dade county, which Obama won by a 25 point margin. Full results from the county, the Herald explains, may not be known until later today.

By the way, Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson received almost 43,000 votes in the state. The difference between Obama and Romney was 46,000.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/11/07/164582603/for-the-record-final-numbers-from-florida-ohio-virginia
If and when Obama goes over the top of this 0.50 percent (no matter by how much) and extraneously wins Florida, we most certainly have Libertarian Gary Johnson a great deal of thanks for his inadvertent help.

Thanks Mr. Johnson! And BTW: AMERICA! FRAK YA!
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 08:51 am
@jcboy,
I stayed up until right after the President's acceptance speech. I was wondering for a while if we were going to have a 2000 repeat during that 90 minute denial thing of Romney's, not to mention the silence from the whole Romney camp before that. But in the end, Romney did concede graciously.

Obama gave a good speech about consolidation after a bitter election.

What about the senate? Pretty good, huh? All those extreme candidates lost. The gender gap held on despite all the conservative talk about it tightening.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 10:18 am
@revelette,
Quote:
What about the senate? Pretty good, huh? All those extreme candidates lost.

Earlier today on Fox News the screeching heads were licking their wounds wondering what went wrong. The token liberal they had on their morning show basically backhanded them into silence by telling them straight up that the problem with Republicans is that they had voted lunatics to public office. The host and other guests on the show couldn’t say or do anything but nod in silent agreement until the host changed the subject.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 10:21 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

What about the senate? Pretty good, huh? All those extreme candidates lost. The gender gap held on despite all the conservative talk about it tightening.

Way better than I hoped.

I've been pretty confident about an Obama victory for quite a while (somewhere there's a bet with Finn, but I couldn't find it in a quick search and I won't hold him to it), but the Senate successes surprised me. I do think that the Akin/ Mourdock ridiculousness helped a lot.
0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 10:32 am
@Cycloptichorn,
For me it was not a surprise, not even a wee bit. I always knew it from the beginning that the wanker didn't have a chance against Obama when he made the stance of returning to the past, instead of dealing with the future. A sure sign of a crappy leader.
Now repubs will likely start blaming Sandy for Romney's loss. If they do, they're just pathetic in my book.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 10:39 am
Congratulations to Obama and the Democratic party for their win last night.
They ran a good campaign.

Now, so what?
What has changed?
The repubs still firmly control the house, the dems still control the Senate.
All that was accomplished was the chairs got rearranged.
I don't see how its possible to expect to see change in government if nothing changed in govt.

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 10:41 am
@mysteryman,
I think a lot changed.

I think the Republicans thought obstructionism was the way to go and that they'd be rewarded for it.

They weren't. They were punished.

That means that they may be willing to actually work with Obama. I don't mean caving, I mean negotiating, making some concessions in return for concessions on his part. Getting stuff done.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 11:07 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Congratulations to Obama and the Democratic party for their win last night.
They ran a good campaign.

Now, so what?
What has changed?
The repubs still firmly control the house, the dems still control the Senate.
All that was accomplished was the chairs got rearranged.
I don't see how its possible to expect to see change in government if nothing changed in govt.

The GOP lost a lot of leverage last night.

The whole 'defund and end Obamacare' thing? That's dead. Dead.

In the eyes of the nation, the GOP was basically slapped down. That will leave a mark for a while - they are going to be much less likely to pull a 'shut down the government' stunt in the future.

Cycloptichorn

PS - Two out of three in my predictions in your Sig ain't too bad.
BillRM

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 11:16 am
@Cycloptichorn,
As long as the GOP allow the tea party wing of their party to pick their candidates nothing is likely to change with them.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 11:18 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I think a lot changed.

I think the Republicans thought obstructionism was the way to go and that they'd be rewarded for it.

That means that they may be willing to actually work with Obama. I don't mean caving, I mean negotiating, making some concessions in return for concessions on his part. Getting stuff done.

The speaker of the house made comments last night which indicate that your hopes will go unfullfilled.
sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 11:21 am
@hawkeye10,
Here's what Mitch McConnell ("one-term president") and Senate Minority Leader had to say:

Quote:
“To the extent [Obama] wants to move to the political center, which is where the work gets done in a divided government, we’ll be there to meet him half way. That begins by proposing a way for both parties to work together in avoiding the ‘fiscal cliff’ without harming a weak and fragile economy, and when that is behind us work with us to reform the tax code and our broken entitlement system.”

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/07/14993875-first-thoughts-obamas-demographic-edge
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 05:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

sozobe wrote:

I think a lot changed.

The speaker of the house made comments last night which indicate that your hopes will go unfullfilled.

This speaker of the house?

Quote:
The House speaker, John A. Boehner of Ohio, striking a conciliatory tone a day after the Republican Party’s electoral drubbing, said on Wednesday that he was ready to accept a budget deal that raises federal revenue as long as it is linked to an overhaul of entitlements and a reform of the tax code that closes loopholes, curtails or eliminates deductions and lowers income tax rates.

Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the majority leader, called for Congress to work quickly to resolve the looming fiscal issues in the lame duck session.
Mr. Boehner’s gesture was the most explicit offer he has made to avert the “fiscal cliff” in January, when billions of dollars in tax increases and automatic spending cuts go into force. And it came hours after Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the majority leader, offered his own olive branch, saying “it’s better to dance than to fight.”

“Mr. President, this is your moment,” Mr. Boehner told reporters in the Capitol. “We’re ready to lead, not as Democrats or Republicans, but as Americans.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/08/us/politics/back-to-bargaining-table-with-fiscal-cliff-dead-ahead.html?nl=us&emc=edit_cn_20121107
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 05:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

sozobe wrote:

I think a lot changed.

Speaker has little choice in the matter - he either plays ball or loses everything he wants. Because everything he DOESN'T want to happen, is due to happen automatically here in a few months.

I love it!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 05:31 pm
While i watched CNN's EC count, i was also watching their voter demographics graphs. Among men, Romney beat Obama 52% to 48%. Among women, Obama beat Romney 55% to 45%--there are more women in the electorate than men. Among voters under 30, the disparity was even greater--Obama 60% to Romney 40%. I just heard an RNC operative a little while ago on the radio adding Latinos to that list. The Republicans are coming with an olive branch in hand because the future of their party depends on them working with the President, and ending the politics of obstruction.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 09:17 pm
http://www.balloon-juice.com/2012/11/07/well-that-worked/

Quote:
Well, that worked…
By Dennis G. November 7th, 2012

Ohio GOTV

After spending five days doing GOTV in Ohio, I’m back in Baltimore.

I knocked on a lot of doors—and some of them almost every day I was there. The voters I talked to were mostly African-Americans. Almost everybody I talked to was engaged in the election. They were serious about supporting President Obama. They had his back, but the Teaparty Attorney General in Ohio was doing everything he could to make voting hard and confusing. Folks needed a bit of help to sort out early voting hours and rules as well as where to vote and what documentation might be required. Our GOTV effort gave them the tools to cut through the bullshit and vote. It was sweet to see the targets of voter suppression efforts fight back and vote.

The GOTV effort boiled down to breaking a voting precinct into 2-4 walk lists. These turfs came with printouts of likely Obama supporters and their addresses. The task was to talk to each of them and get them to go out and vote.

If folks weren’t home we left lit (that would change each day). If they were home, we would confirm their support of President Obama and then ask for their commitment to vote. Sometimes folks already had, sometimes they promised to Early Vote later that day (or the next) or vote on Election Day. Information would be recorded and reported to campaign after each list was walked. The lists would be updated. Then we would go back and walk the precincts again and again and again—always trying to move more voters to the polls. This was the drill from Friday though 7:30 pm on Election Day.

The face to face contact was great. The repeated visits were effective. What we did in our small turf in Columbus was repeated all over the state and the Country. The ground game of the Obama Campaign was awesome. I did GOTV in 2008 and the effort was good, but the 2012 GOTV effort was a quantum leap beyond it. I was honored to be a small part of it.

The effort worked. I know we got people out to vote. I can think of dozens of people that I talked to who wouldn’t have gone and voted without the nudge—and it was great to go back to a house and have somebody show me their “I voted” sticker. We helped folks get their absentee ballots in and gather the right documents to vote. We told them where their polling locations were and even engaged some neighbors to help other neighbors get to the polls.

The final hours were a panic as we made a fourth or fifth walk of the lists to try and get every last possible supporter to vote. As a lifelong Democrat, I was prepared for disappointment. I went to dinner with a couple of other out-of-state volunteers and as returns flashed on the teevees we began to feel better. By the time we got to the Ohio Democratic Party in downtown Columbus we were feeling good. And when MSNBC called it for President Obama we felt great. More than great—I was elated, relieved, thrilled, grateful, proud and happy.

More **** will come down the pike, but we re-elected President Obama. That is a big ******* deal.

Cheers

ps: I tip my hat to all the folks who worked on his campaign. These folks are hands down amazing—and so is the man they worked for…

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 09:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Go Dennis G and all the others like you!

I did some paperwork on election day, it was interesting to see the documentation for canvassing. (I was supposed to put sheets that had pink highlighting in one pile, and sheets without in another. The sheets with pink highlighting had some reason they needed to be revisited -- someone had moved, that sort of thing.)

There were lots of comments ("Obama sign in yard," "Obama pumpkin by front door," "Don't come back! Says he's been visited several times and is getting annoyed"). The raw data indicated whether there had been contact, strength of person's support for a given candidate, whether they'd already voted (early voting), whether they had been persuaded, etc.

It was an interesting insight into how the whole thing worked. Definitely looked effective. (Lots of "persuaded him!" notes, too.)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:37 am
@Cycloptichorn,
FEels goo dont it. My last GOTV was the ill fated Kerry campaign.That was depressing. Good to see ya got the job done dude.

solipsister

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:03 am
@farmerman,
Contact your elected representatives with economic and foreign policy opinion.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 05:33 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
Now, so what?
What has changed?

The Supreme court and the lower courts are protected from right wing appointments for four years.

The social safest nets and such unimportant programs as Medicare and SS have added protections.

There is a good chance that we can force the GOP to agree to raising the taxes on the top of society instead of just gutting all the programs that benefit the rest of us and so on.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 06:04 am
Florida still hasn't been officially decided. I wonder if Republicans realize they can stop their voter suppression efforts. The election is over. Obama won. Oh well, continue your dirty tricks on principle I guess.