Making sense of numbers

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 01:05 pm
When I logged in 3086 people are online, and yet most of them are not seen to be posting.
Why don't the majority of these 3086 people post, but instead it is just a dozen or more number of veterans to this forum who makes or participates in most threads?
Am I the only who didn't get the memo that there were massive ostracizing measures taken to prevent HIV from spreading?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 687 • Replies: 7
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 01:16 pm
@aspvenom,
The number (I guarantee is quite misleading):
A lot more people actually just ghost the site. They read and never post for whatever reasons. Maybe for some, its a matter of no self confidence and their poor understanding of English.

But you have to also take into account how many people leave their computers on at all times and they never sign out of their account with their browsers. Those people would tilt the numbers up even though they aren't technically participating right now AKA their computers (IP addresses) are here but they're not.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 01:19 pm
@aspvenom,
3086=2*1543 & 1543 is prime

Is this a coincidence--I think knot'

Rap
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 01:26 pm
@aspvenom,
I think a lot of the "online" entities are bots rather than actual humans, too. Google bots scanning for content, that sort of thing. I don't understand exactly how that works but I know it's been mentioned before.
Ragman

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 02:41 pm
@sozobe,
One explanation for the repeat spammers (and sly ones who aren't exactly breaking the rules - yet). Depending on what is posted it influences the context-sensitive adverts that come up depending on what is mentioned in the thread. Of course, they're also trying to get their company's name mentioned as well.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 02:45 pm
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060307150311/lostpedia/images/b/b6/Thenumbers.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 02:48 pm
@djjd62,
BTW: Where is a2k's hatch?
djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 02:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
i'm not tellin"

but the others post new introductions every morning Wink
0 Replies