EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2014 11:19 am
@jcboy,
Check out what you're missing Peanut! Very Happy

Hopefully Rick Scott is going down! but this is Flori-DUH so you never know what can happen in an election!

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 02:35 am
I voted today, for Britain to stay in the EU.
0 Replies

TheSubliminalKid

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 02:48 am
I voted Remain today Very Happy
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 06:31 am
@TheSubliminalKid,
If I remember right, we voted together.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 06:50 am
2016 edition:

Vote early? Vote often?

Describe your experience.

Where's the polling place? Church basement? High school gym? Auto repair shop? Aquarium?

Morning? Afternoon? Evening? Last week?

Long lines or quick-and-easy?

How did you cast your ballot? Punch ballots? Touch-screen? Colored balls dropped in a fish bowl?

How much time did the process take?

How many offices were up for election? Governor? Senator? Dog catcher?

Any interesting ballot initiatives/referenda?

Examples of obvious politicking near the polling place? Any poll watchers from Trump Nation?

Did you get a sticker?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 07:18 am
The Republicans got wise and quit sending me mail in ballots this time around. Good choice, since I absolutely will never vote for their candidates. I could have applied for and gotten one, but it was simpler to go down and vote in person. I voted last week, after a line about a five minute wait long. The people were quiet and friendly. Two black couples and about thirty white folks. The voting machine was a computer, with a wheel to dial your choices. I was a bit confused at first, but it was pretty simple. Walked out, receiving a "Thank you" from one official as I approached the door. Simple as that.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 07:36 am
At approximately 7:15 this morning the phone rang with a recorded voice reminding me it was election day and to vote. Didn't they check their list to notice who sent their ballots by courier pigeon or mail?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 07:50 am
I am going out in maybe an hour. It's usually a fast process after 9 AM.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 08:06 am
@jespah,
Got in line at 06:20 hours EST. Voted 20 to 25 minutes later.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 08:14 am
@jespah,
In our rural area, we could vote early, (around 7AM),while it was still relatively free of "annoying attention" from poll watchers hawking their pamphlets.
I have to say that it was quite polite and somewhat "light hearted" .
I think people ,(at least my neighbors) have begun to look past the spectacle of 2016 politics and we are realizing that, tomorrow, after all the friendship and family splitting rancor, we will be, once again, working together at the garage, the feed mill and the "shed" and we will have to mend some fences before everyone sits down for Thanksgiving.

Wheres George Carlin when we need him?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 08:27 am
@joefromchicago,
We vote in an old one room school house. It was a bit chilly outside and was inconvenient for the older folks.
The ballot is a fill in an "open circle" type .

There was not a lot of "strait ticket voting", (I voted strait ticket this time an voted against the "aged judge ruling" )

Uneventful, I've had waiters more annoyingly attentive than the poll watchers here.

The big topic of conversation was the upcoming snow geese hunting on several of or fields and who would open their land to the biannual event.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 08:28 am
@joefromchicago,
no guys in Blue helmets in Hummers. I guess weve ascended from Third world status.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 08:31 am
@joefromchicago,
Voted early last Wednesday at a grocery store. About 6:00 PM.

Waited about 15 minutes; the line moved quickly.

Electronic voting, with a very weird user interface. Not surprised that there are reports of folks having trouble navigating it.

It was the eSlate device: http://www.hartintercivic.com/Product/eslate
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 08:48 am
@DrewDad,
I used the same machine.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 09:30 am
@joefromchicago,
Voted early at the local county government center. Waited approximately 30 seconds in line going towards the end of the lunch break (but the volunteers told me it was the shortest line all week.) I had to walk through the sea of signs and campaign volunteers but I got to mark the box. I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.

I don't know the machine type, but it was a touch screen with a verification step at the end and a paper ticket with bar codes showing the vote. Besides President, we in NC have a senator on the ballot, the governor (of HB2 infamy) and pretty much all the local government.

I can't recall a more contentious year for local politics. At the state level, we are being hammered over HB2, the law that makes NC the nation's leader in government sponsored discrimination. That has pretty much been the sole issue. My state senator sponsored HB2, so he has lost my vote forever. The governor has been telling religious meetings that he and his wife have been shunned over HB2, so vote for him. Business groups are panicking as the losses over HB2 approach $1B. Even at the county level, things are crazy. Of five county commissioners, three are Republican, but one is nuts and drove one of his fellow Republicans to vote with the Democrats on common sense things. The nut guy then went full ballistic and published full page ads attacking the woman who switched sides, causing her to lose the primary. Now someone has posted signs calling the other Republican woman a "harlot" because she has been married three times, likely a dirty trick from the third Republican candidate who is vying for his first term but has been defeated before.

It's been crazy but at least it will be over.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 09:47 am
Sent in my absentee ballot about two weeks ago. The wait for the results will be interesting.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 09:48 am
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/infrablu/20161108_075336_zpsxuthou1d.jpg

At 7:15 AM at the local YWCA there were only five people ahead of me. I waited no more than 10 minutes to sign in and get a booth. People were steadily streaming in. There were a number of millennial voters and a couple of election clerks. That impressed me. It looks like in this election the young will be overcoming the apathy they're notorious for.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 10:10 am
I was in line at 6:30 waiting for polls to open. I was back in my car at 7:30. So not bad. Pretty decent crowd at my polling place when I left.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 10:13 am
@joefromchicago,
Voted by mail two weeks ago from my living room. I was the only one present.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 10:38 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Voted by mail two weeks ago from my living room. I was the only one present.

Did you give yourself a sticker?
0 Replies