Baldimo

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 02:17 pm
Where's the polling place? Church basement? High school gym? Auto repair shop? Aquarium? Across the Street at the local Elementary School

Morning? Afternoon? Evening? Last week? Morning

Long lines or quick-and-easy? 45 min wait- 5 min vote time

How did you cast your ballot? Punch ballots? Touch-screen? Colored balls dropped in a fish bowl? Filled in the buble. First time I have not seen an optical scanner at the polling place. We put them into a "secure" bag for later counting. Not sure how I like that idea.

How much time did the process take? 5 min

How many offices were up for election? Governor? Senator? Dog catcher? Besides President there were 5 or 6 other offices up for election. We were also asked if we wanted to keep our Judges, I always vote no.

Any interesting ballot initiatives/referenda? 2 tax increase issues for the schools.(voted yes) Amendment 64 Legalize Pot (voted yes)

Examples of obvious politicking near the polling place? Any poll watchers from the UN? None of the above

Did you get a sticker? YES!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 02:24 pm
@joefromchicago,
Where's the polling place? Church basement? High school gym? Auto repair shop? Aquarium? Public School Gym

Morning? Afternoon? Evening? Last week? Morning, May 2 2011

Long lines or quick-and-easy? easy

How did you cast your ballot? Punch ballots? Touch-screen? Colored balls dropped in a fish bowl? paper ballot

How much time did the process take? no time at all

How many offices were up for election? Governor? Senator? Dog catcher? one, MP (Member of Parliament)

Any interesting ballot initiatives/referenda? never

Examples of obvious politicking near the polling place? Any poll watchers from the UN? nope, i don't believe it's allowed (politicking i mean)

Did you get a sticker? stickers, we don't need no steenking stickers
[/quote]
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 02:30 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ah, thanks. Boston.com reports that, as of noon, 26.65% of all Mass. voters had done the deed (I voted after that).
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 02:37 pm
@jespah,
Only Name Area Man Recognizes On Ballot 'Jill Stein'
http://www.theonion.com/articles/only-name-area-man-recognizes-on-ballot-jill-stein,30267/
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 05:21 pm
Where's the polling place? Church basement? High school gym? Auto repair shop? Aquarium?

The lobby in my elementary school in my old neighborhood

Morning? Afternoon? Evening? Last week?

Morning

Long lines or quick-and-easy?

No line at all.

How did you cast your ballot? Punch ballots? Touch-screen? Colored balls dropped in a fish bowl?

Electronic touch screen

How much time did the process take?

Well, I had gone to my new precinct, the YWCA that’s two blocks away, and where there was a line, but am registered at the old one, so I had to drive over to the old ‘hood.

How many offices were up for election? Governor? Senator? Dog catcher?

Very many. US Senator, US Representative, State Senator, State Representatives, Railroad Commissioner, Supreme Court Justices, a slew of Judges, Attorneys, Sheriff, County Tax-Assessor Collector, County Commissioners and Constables

Any interesting ballot initiatives/referenda?

Bonds to pay for an AAA baseball park with a hotel/rental car tax. We’re tearing down City Hall to build this park with the idea that “if you build it, they will come.”

Bonds to pay for public places improvements, like museums, parks, etc.

Examples of obvious politicking near the polling place? Any poll watchers from the UN?

No, but there was a group of students from a high school from the other side of the city taking a survey. I participated.

Did you get a sticker?

Indubitably

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/infrablu/2012-11-06_16-05-43_613.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 05:43 pm
Describe your experience: A little trying, because of the befuddling instructions that came with the absentee ballot. I saved the instructions to talk about, but later tossed 'em.
Where's the polling place?: Absentee ballot, at my home, two weeks ago.
How did you cast your ballot? inked paper ballot received from the absentee ballot folks, via the county.
How much time did the process take? Maybe a half hour to read the whole schmegeggey, five minutes to fill out.
How many offices were up for election? Many
Any interesting ballot initiatives/referenda? No, this ain't california.
Examples of obvious politicking near the polling place? Any poll watchers from the UN? I have this dog who seems to frown at first glance, but that's just her eyebrow hair color.
Did you get a sticker? No.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:12 pm
neighborhood clubhouse
no long wait... very quick and efficient voted mid morning
community college bond on ballot..I voted yes
got my sticker
paper ballot
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:51 pm
@joefromchicago,
Where's the polling place? Church basement? High school gym? Auto repair shop? Aquarium?
Elementary school ... I want to say "activity room."

Morning? Afternoon? Evening? Last week?
This evening around 6:15.

Long lines or quick-and-easy?

Quick and easy. Only one person ahead of me in line. Chicago has plenty of early-voting opportunities (each of the fifty wards has an early-voting polling place, and a registered voter in Chicago can cast a ballot at any one of them), so that cuts down on lines on election day.

How did you cast your ballot? Punch ballots? Touch-screen? Colored balls dropped in a fish bowl?

Machine scanned giganto-ballots with the cutting-edge "connect-the-arrows" technology.

How much time did the process take?
Maybe ten minutes.

How many offices were up for election? Governor? Senator? Dog catcher?
No senatorial election this year. Congressman, state senate and house, water reclamation district, county races, and a multitude of judges. I vote for the GOP candidates in the county elections on the theory that they can't possibly do worse than the Democrats and on the assumption that they have no chance of actually winning.

Any interesting ballot initiatives/referenda?
Illinois always has the dumbest, most uninteresting ballot initiatives.

Examples of obvious politicking near the polling place? Any poll watchers from the UN?
Surprisingly little, given how intensive the campaigning is on the primary election day. But then the Democratic primary is the real election around here.

Did you get a sticker?
We don't get stickers, we get receipts. That's the Chicago way!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:56 pm
For anyone who might be interested -- politico.com has a map of results:

http://www.politico.com/2012-election/map/#/President/2012/
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 07:01 pm

also
http://www.google.com/elections/ed/us/results/2012/president/us
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 07:05 pm
also:

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/results/president
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 07:13 pm
Interesting that they all have different counts....
sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 07:30 pm
@boomerang,
Yeah, it's still really early. I'm assuming they get their numbers from different sources. CNN has numbers for New Jersey for example while NYT doesn't yet, at all.

Edit, NYT just added some NJ numbers, but they took a lot longer than CNN to start.
sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 07:32 pm
@sozobe,
Here's one more from TPM:

http://elections.talkingpointsmemo.com
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 08:40 pm
Local tech school. Very rural South Carolina.

Waited 1 1/2 hour. 7 am. Rush hour

Electronic machine.

Pretty quick after getting in.

A few races, not many. Most were un opposed republicans.

One initiative to make gov and lt. Gov from same party. I voted yes.

No real politicking. Most people cordial but quiet.

Talked to lady next to me. Turned out to be an Obama fan. Must have been the only two in the place.

I usually press the democrat button, enter and that's it.

Miller

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 09:51 pm
@Miller,
Right now it looks like Warren has beaten Brown in Mass.

Now if we can get rid of Kerry, Brown has another chance at becoming Senator

I hope so, as I like both Brown and Warren.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 10:48 pm
@IRFRANK,
We voted at 1PM . We only have 4000 people in out township in an area of 17 sq miles. SO everyone tried to vote as they went to work. Im conveniently unfettered with employment rewponsibilities.
We then went to a restaurant for late lunch and met several other "geezeristically leaning" folks who said they voted Obama and strit ticket also.
farmerman

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 10:51 pm
@farmerman,
Bob CAsey also won his Senatorial set against Tom SMith who ran a self funded dirty(ish) campaign. Casey won by a larger margin than expected so I think a lot of people did the strait ticket thing in digust
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 09:49 am
@farmerman,
Where do you live?

All I had to do was look. Farmlands of PA.

I'm in upstate SC, which is about as red as it gets. Maybe Texas is further right. I wonder if they will secede now?
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 09:55 am
I have lived in my very small rural "town" since I was a child, my husband grew up in the house we live in now. Everybody know everybody else. Yet my husband and I had to show our ID. It was ridiculous. My husband even left his in the car and was about to go get it, but someone said, that's ok, we all know him. But there was no line, in and out in under five minutes and needless to say, my state, KY, went Romney quickly.

0 Replies