Im 15 and want to become an actress but have no idea where to start!! Please help!!

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 04:43 am
So im 15 and live in the middle of nowhere, and all my life i was curtain in one thing- i want to become an actress more than anything! Ive particapated in several school plays where i got tons of complimets and im attending drama classes in my school but i have no idea wht to do next. Im just a freshment in high school and i was thinking that maybe good 1st step would b exhange in usa for an year but them what? My parents r not really supportive and i dont know anything about that buisness and i want to know more than anything please help me!!! What should i do next?! Sad

View best answer, chosen by DreamerGirl
jespah
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 08:02 am
@DreamerGirl,
Well, so far, so good.

Note - I am not an actress. But I've got pals I went to High School with who have appeared in NY, on- and off-Broadway.

Some suggestions - acting classes are good, but it also helps if you can sing and dance. You don't have to be perfect in either, but you need to have skills. These should be things that, if someone asks you, "Can you sing?" you should be able to say "Yes."

Also, cultivate contacts. For acting, it's likely, in the US, that you'd head to NY or California. Find out if you have any relatives, friends, anyone, any way, to have a contact there. At best, it's a place to crash. At worst, at least it might be a sympathetic ear. It can be rather lonely getting on your feet in the biz.

Also, cultivate other skills so that you can work while auditioning. It's not just a cliché that aspiring actors and actresses wait tables. They do! It's an easy (in the sense that you don't need a degree) job with flexible hours. One of my classmates worked as a computer programmer while she was struggling.

Good, professional head shots (photographs) are a must. And you will need to get yourself an agent. This means (a) sending your photos and perhaps a DVD or an .mpg file to agencies and/or (b) hanging around where agents are (try the more professional gigs in your town - you never know, but recognize this is more likely to happen in a big city).

Scour the trade papers (Variety) and see if there are any auditions happening anywhere near you. And go! It's a cattle call. You will wait around for hours. The chances of being taken are nearly zero. But it will give you some experience in that part of the process and it will toughen you up for the inevitable rejections (there will be a lot of those, I'm sorry to say).

And stay in school! Both of my pals have college degrees, and they are both happy to have them. Because most people do age out of the profession, you need to have something to fall back on that's better than waiting tables. Also, college will further your education in this and other areas, and you can be in more productions and make more contacts. One of my pals went to college with Alec Baldwin. They are not close friends but they are not strangers, either.

See where I'm going with this?

Best of luck to you, and welcome to A2K.
DreamerGirl

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 04:45 pm
@jespah,
Thank u very very much! This has been really useful and educative i just have one question if im not boring you too much. Everyones always talking about agents and head shots but right now im litteraly miles away from that. Now im just a 15 yr old freshment with a hidden dream that her parents dont approve and living in a middle of nowhere, not even in america. Wht should i do NOW, how should i start? Should i really wait 4 more yrs to finish high school and then move to usa when im 18 in some colleghe you talked about, or can i do anything sooner? Wont it be too late then?
jespah

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 04:54 pm
@DreamerGirl,
I wish I knew, and I really don't want to steer you wrong. But I think you will need to have some help from your folks. Have they seen you act? Have they seen how happy it makes you? I think most parents want their children to be happy but they also want their kids to succeed. That doesn't necessarily mean wealth but they don't want you to be starving.

Maybe approach it like that, e. g. "We're a team, I hope we can be a team together. This is my dream, and I think I can do it. But I need your help, Mom, Dad." And tell them that you're not leaving school early, and you are working hard - and show them! The beauty of what you want to do is that you can demonstrate it.
DreamerGirl

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 05:17 pm
@jespah,
Thats amazing said, thank you so much for your help you have me some great advices &informations!(: thanks a lot ill took that advices Wink
jespah

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:53 am
@DreamerGirl,
Good luck to you - I hope I can say I knew you when! Wink
0 Replies