Nonbinary Actor Help

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 08:33 pm
So I want to become an actor and am nonbinary. If I could pass for it, would I be able to play a role of the opposite sex?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,770 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2017 05:32 am
@Fippogrox,
Mary Martin did it all the way back in the 50s. Follow your bliss.
Fippogrox

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 09:49 pm
@jespah,
Right, Peter Pan? But was that meant for a female to play the male character since females are more light weight?
I'm afab (assigned female at birth) And would want to audition along side men. Like if they said "looking for men to play _______" or something, I would want to go anyway. Would that work?
jespah

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 06:28 am
@Fippogrox,
I don't see any reason why not. They really don't need to know your assigned at birth gender unless you're getting health insurance through them or you need to take off your clothes (or just your top).

And yes, she played Peter Pan - and probably some of that was due to her size, but that role seems to be nearly always played by women on stage, even when lighter men have been available to play the role.

A lot of casting is utterly subjective; it's a kind of "look and feel" thing. So if they think you have the look (and of course you have the skills and the experience, and chemistry with whoever you're in the most scenes with), then why not?

Like with anyone going into acting, I would suggest singing, dancing, and acting lessons so you can audition for any number of jobs and can show off your versatility. As the character Joey Tribbiani said in Friends, "The answer is alway yes. If they ask if you can ride a horse, you say yes. You figure it out later."

Note: I am not an actor or in the biz, although I know people who are. You might also want to consider LGBTQ production companies like Cthulhu Crush and Blue Seraph (in the interests of full disclosure, I know the owners of both), small houses where there is a focus on LGBTQ - at least to get started and to build a resume. No matter what, you'll need to build your resume.

It's a tough business to break into. A lot of very talented people do not make it, so be aware of that and have a backup plan.
Fippogrox

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 06:35 am
@jespah,
Wow, well this really helped. Thank you, I really appreciate it!
jespah

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 06:41 am
@Fippogrox,
Oh, yay! Go knock 'em dead! Smile
0 Replies