If I want to become an actress.. how do i become an actress?

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 09:07 am
I want to become an actress soooo bad!!! I just don't know how! Since i was just a little girl I've had dreams of becoming one... I did Saturday Night Live Shows(to my parents & friends)
and it justs BUGS ME TO DEATH!!! ahhhh! How do I become an actress?? Who do I call?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 27 • Views: 58,256 • Replies: 81
No top replies

mac11

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 09:21 am
You should look into taking acting classes. It's a good way to get started.
Valpower

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:45 pm
Re: If I want to become an actress.. how do i become an actr
helplessteen wrote:
I want to become an actress soooo bad!!! I just don't know how!

I'm sure I won't crush your dream, but intense desire for something combined with insufficient knowledge of how to fulfill it (and probably a poor grasp of what "it" even is) can be a dangerous thing in the entertainment industry.

As mac11, mentioned, acting classes are a good choice for you. It will give you a chance to see what kind of work is involved and allow you to discover whether you really want it sooooo bad or are simply in love with the mythical lifestyle of a starlet. Any idea that there is a "person to call" to get an untrained, aspiring actress some work will lead to the discovery of how many undesirable, er, acting jobs and shady characters there are in the business.

If you feel like you've already got some mad skillz or don't aspire to develop any kind of range as an actress then by all means start hitting the open casting calls (maybe next season's The Starlet).
helplessteen

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:33 pm
Valpower
"I'm sure I won't crush your dream, but intense desire for something combined with insufficient knowledge of how to fufill it"

I know about it I just wanted a some more options that people might have. You don't have to be so judgemental..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:50 pm
Are drama classes available to you at school? Is there a local theatre company you can do some volunteer work for?

You need to become a part of the theatre community where you live to start off with - there's no one to just "call".
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:58 pm
helplessteen wrote:
I want to become an actress soooo bad!!!

I'm curious about something. Does your boyfriend, by any chance, want to learn to fly?
Valpower

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 09:50 pm
helplessteen wrote:
I know about it I just wanted a some more options that people might have. You don't have to be so judgemental..

I know my words seemed harsh, but only as a warning about the industry. Clearly, I cared enough to post a reply, but from the scant information you gave us about your dream (movies, TV, theater?) and past efforts (classes, agents, auditions?) I could only guess at what you knew. I felt I needed to set off an alarm, though I did not intend to pass judgement. (That being said, though, even when someone does pass judgement, welcome it as an opportunity to develop the thick skin needed to deal with certain casting personnel.)
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 10:36 pm
Re: If I want to become an actress.. how do i become an actr
helplessteen wrote:
I want to become an actress soooo bad!!! I just don't know how! Since i was just a little girl I've had dreams of becoming one... I did Saturday Night Live Shows(to my parents & friends)
and it justs BUGS ME TO DEATH!!! ahhhh! How do I become an actress?? Who do I call?

Acting lessons; performing arts school. From there it's about going to casting calls. Casting calls are generally listed right in the regular paper of big cities. If you happen to live in the middle of nowhere, the idea is to go to New York or Los Angeles and roll the dice. If you're talented, that's really all there is to it, coupled with knowing the right people.

Good luck.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 10:41 pm
Since you're just 13 now, anything you want to do will still need to be quite close to home, and you'd likely have to get your parents support in terms of costs and transportation, and its effect on your education.

What types of parts do you think you'd like to play? Comedy? Drama?
Have you tried out for any plays?

<and thanks to whoever tidied this up. i was feelin' quite bad for the little aspiring thespian>
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:27 am
You don't just "become" and actress (unless you sleep with a film director, but then you are just an "actress"), you have to work very hard at it and even then there is only a slim chance of success in the sense of glamourous red carpet performances, etc. For every star who makes it to the Oscars to tell of the tale, the fast food restaurants in LA are full of the thousands who fail.

Still, as long as you are aware of this, there is nothing against working on realising a dream.
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 03:59 pm
Paaskynen wrote:
For every star who makes it to the Oscars to tell of the tale, the fast food restaurants in LA are full of the thousands who fail...

Unfortunately, Paaskynen, resaurants are the bright side of failure. The streets, morgues, clinics, and adult-entertainment industry are the dark side reserved for the cream of the delusional crop.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 05:47 pm
I once wanted to be an actress also.
But, I became a farmer instead, isnt it something how even our most unreachable dreams can be attained.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 05:22 am
Valpower wrote:
Paaskynen wrote:
For every star who makes it to the Oscars to tell of the tale, the fast food restaurants in LA are full of the thousands who fail...

Unfortunately, Paaskynen, resaurants are the bright side of failure. The streets, morgues, clinics, and adult-entertainment industry are the dark side reserved for the cream of the delusional crop.

"Always look on the bright side of life" (Monty Python) Very Happy
0 Replies

cesca

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 10:07 pm
acting
Hey helpless teen, to become an actress you need skills, so some classes or practice to add to what you've already done. Then you need to know the right people. So get chatting, and remember the six hand shake rule - you are never more than six hand shakes away from anybody (that includes Martin Scorcese).

You also need a thick skin, determination and a back up plan.

Good luck love, and when you make it, get in touch and I'll do your costumes.

P.s. My parents were hypocritical pot smokers aswell. Just know that your reaction makes you more aware than them - and also know that you come from good acting stock.
0 Replies

JessesGirl

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:04 am
Hey um yeah i have been doing some acting but for shurch i'm a country girl, but i lke to b in big cities adn i have always wanted to become an actress i'm 15 but do you nkow anyway i can get in contact wtih someone who is or a agent?

JessesGirl
0 Replies

JessesGirl

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 09:57 am
plz help me out with thatr question i posted i'm new here so i'm not quite sure how to work this website quite yet but i'm starting to, but yeah i've dreamed of becomeing an actress for all my life wheni first saw and was able to understand tv

JessesGirl
dreams girl90

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 10:49 pm
I really one become an actress
I've always wanted to be an actress but I don't know what to do to go in movies and stuff....
0 Replies

cjstar2009

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 01:16 pm
wanting to be an actress
hey, we have something in common with the actress thing. thats how i found this because i was searching for help on the web. Laughing i havent found anything yet, but if i do ill let you know. good luck Very Happy
0 Replies

wrong4love2005

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:41 pm
I wanna be a recognized for the star I know I am!
I have always had the dream to be on stage, in front of people, preforming Smile . I have been preforming for my family since I was very young Embarrassed . I am an only child and I am from St. Albans Vermont. I am a 14 year old brown eyed, brown curly (usually straightned) haired girl, I'm 5'3 and i have big dreams! If someone out there would just give me the chance I would be the happiest person in the world! I need to be in the acting world, it is one of my many dreams, I am very excited and I am waiting for a reply!
Amandajane

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 02:45 pm
wow if you thought that girl was being judgemental you probably wont be able to deal with the agency's
0 Replies