Method Acting: Brando vs. Daniel Day Lewis

Ericc22

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2018 08:17 am
Hi,

Looking for some help from those who understand acting! I have a project, and am researching how different method actors compare. I understand the basics of method, and that some method actors live in a role entirely, and others come in and out. Having never been an actor it is all a bit abstract to me so hoping to get some perspective.

In particular I am comparing the method acting of Brando to Daniel Day Lewis. I am trying to understand how the 2 compare. From what I have read Lews is an ‘all in performer.’ Read some great articles on how he will totally inhabit a role, and in fact he stayed in his role as Daniel Plainview, while raising his kids!! Brando seemed to more allow the situations to drive his internal conflict, and that unleashed a high level of passion, for better or worse.

Anyway, wondering if anyone can offer some help and guidance here. Love to see articles or reference or just hear your view of how the 2 approaches might differ. Anything to better understand how they each applied ‘method’ would be great!

Thanks much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,515 • Replies: 0
No top replies