Need migraine advice

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 11:12 pm
Thymine is an amino acid. I think it is found in meat and it disappears when the meat is cooked. Alas I forget the details..
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 11:23 pm
Cav, I too can only offer sympathy and you have my sympathy in great abundance. Migraine is really nasty and causes so much discomfort as well as being debilitating at times.

I seem to remember reading about a man who decided to really 'enter' the pain when he noticed a migraine first starting. He said it seemed to help him gain control of it before it got too bad.

Although I don't get migraines, I do get sinus headaches, often weather related. I have tried this remedy with mixed results. It seems strange to really go into the pain and almost explore it but, for some reason, it can make a difference.

How about bio-feeback or has that been discounted in the medical community?

Anyway, the best of luck with your search. You've had more than your share of bad times lately.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 11:43 pm
Here - a bit of the way through the article they name some recent discoveries/help. I think what I was thinking of above was the yogurt bacteria item....

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DailyNews/migraine020917.html
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 11:45 pm
Sorry to hear you're suffering Cav. I lived with a Russian once who said you can release the pressure in your head with contrast showers... As hot as you can stand, to as cold as it gets back and forth over and over until the pressure releases. I can't say it works because I don't get headaches... I will say she had a lot of strange remedies, and most them worked very well.
Good Luck
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 11:46 pm
i feel for you cav, i used to get migraines, luckily i have not had one for about two years <furiously knocking on wood>

i take imitrix when i used to get a migraine. i really don't know about other treatments. good luck.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:22 am
Cav

Are you able to have caffeine ?

Caffeine is a vaso-constrictor. I've found that helps when the 'auras' start.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:35 am
Lots of great suggestins here guys. I think I have found that the mild, more frequent headaches are caused by muscle tension in my neck, so a warm bath followed by a cold pack usually works. The migraines are not nearly as frequent, but are a bit strange. I generally start off just not feeling quite like myself, but I plug along anyway, and then very quickly, it comes on like gangbusters. Therefore, it's tough sometimes to figure out when I'm actually going to get one.

wenchilina, interestingly enough, Mrs. cav and I were at BoGoWo's for lunch a few days ago and we talked about caffiene and migraine. I gave it up several years ago, unfortunately. Sadly, as much as I liked it, it did not like me.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:42 am
I get migraine too and have found that occasionally pressure on the base of the skull/top of the neck can help if done early - you press with your fingers flat for a while.

I think it is yoga so you may find something about it on a yoga site?

It is no help to you with not being able to take medication but i find migraleve if taken when the migraine first begins will help.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 01:03 pm
Re: Need migraine advice
cavfancier wrote:
Every time we get bad, unseasonable temperature fluctuations (like today) I get severe migraine/pressure headaches, including horrid pressure behind one eye or another, nausea, and extreme fatigue. I have a current liver condition which does not allow me to take any medication for migraine, and no herbal supplements either. I was curious if any other migraine sufferers here had some good experiences with hands-on homeopathic treatment, like pressure point work, massage, shiatsu, whatever. I just need some guidance....

I don't have migraines, but I think I read that some migraines can be treated with accupuncture. Have you tried this? Cool
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 01:05 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Lots of great suggestins here guys. I think I have found that the mild, more frequent headaches are caused by muscle tension in my neck, so a warm bath followed by a cold pack usually works. The migraines are not nearly as frequent, but are a bit strange. I generally start off just not feeling quite like myself, but I plug along anyway, and then very quickly, it comes on like gangbusters. Therefore, it's tough sometimes to figure out when I'm actually going to get one.

wenchilina, interestingly enough, Mrs. cav and I were at BoGoWo's for lunch a few days ago and we talked about caffiene and migraine. I gave it up several years ago, unfortunately. Sadly, as much as I liked it, it did not like me.

Sounds like the prodromal, that some patients experience prior to the onset of a seizure. Cool
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 01:06 pm
Miller, I tried acupuncture once, not for migraine but for a minor muscle problem and it made me queasy. Something about all those tiny needles....
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 01:13 pm
Maybe you could benefit from a light sedation during the procedure.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 06:21 am
I have been referred to a physiotherapist who is also an amazing acupuncurist. I'm going to give acupuncture a second try.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 09:21 am
You seem to have been pointed in many good directions and have developed a game plan. I hope you are successful.

I was thinking if migraines cause blood glutting, perhaps the best solution might be cold, not heat, and at least while the headache is manifest, that avoiding massage might be beneficial.

Just a thought, not a prescription!

good luck.
0 Replies