Malpractice plaintiffs blacklisted by doctors

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 12:27 pm
In Texas, Hire a Lawyer, Forget About a Doctor?So, is it fair for doctors to "blacklist" medical malpractice plaintiffs?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,888 • Replies: 15
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 12:32 pm
Hmmm.. "Fair".. I really hate "fair". Is it fair? No. Is it "fair" for people to blacklist doctors that have malpractice suits against them? No.

I guess it all goes back to "life isn't fair". Blahh. Got beer?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 12:41 pm
I think to be completely fair the site also should be required to post the names address and the specialty of the doctors who use the service.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 02:03 am
The phrase that springs to mind is "the first amendment" if it is O.K. to be able to talk about " wogs and coons" and be within your first amendment rights, why shouldn't doctors be able to talk about litigious type people?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 06:23 am
Quote:
Is it "fair" for people to blacklist doctors that have malpractice suits against them? No.

Well, fishin', I have to disagree with you on that. In Florida (which does a FEW things right) there is a website where you can check a physician's credentials. One of the questions on the site that the MD needs to answer is if there are any malpractice that have been adjudicated against them in the last ten years. (not pending cases..only ones that were decided against them). That is one of the things that I look for when I check out a doctor.

I do use one doc who had a small suit against him 8 years ago. I did not consider that a problem. There was one orthopedist in town to whom I took my mother, when she needed a hip replacement. I had bad vibes about him, and found another doc. Years later, when I got my computer, I checked up on him, and sure enough, he had a list of expensive lawsuits settled against him as long as your arm!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:45 am
Ya missed me point thar Phoenix! "Fair" is one of those things that's in the eye of the beholder. What's "fair" to one person isn't necessarily "fair" to another.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:47 am
Joe..

Very nice picture of Richard J. Daley!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:51 am
The issue is "fairness".

I would think 'it's "fair"but certainly not ethical for Docs to blacklist certain patients.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:53 am
It's also common sense on the part of the MDs. Who wants "trouble" visiting their office each adn every day?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 09:21 am
Can doctors resort
To self-help to screen out their
Litigious patients?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 09:24 am
fishin'- Gotcha! I am particularly concrete early in the morning! :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 09:32 am
joefromchicago- I think that it is a good idea. The medical litigation has gotten completely out of hand, where it is turning the entire practice of medicine on its head, increasing malpractice insurance, and discouraging qualified individuals from going into medicine. I say hurray for the doctors.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 06:51 pm
What do you think of people who enter medicine ( as MDs) strictly to make big cash?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 06:55 pm
Quote:
What do you think of people who enter medicine ( as MDs) strictly to make big cash?

IMO, people who go into medicine should have a deep desire to help people. If money is what a person wants, he/she should go into a commercial business. People who are "bottom line" oriented do not make good physicians.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 04:46 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

IMO, people who go into medicine should have a deep desire to help people. If money is what a person wants, he/she should go into a commercial business. People who are "bottom line" oriented do not make good physicians.

Could this be a reason why the number of applicants to med school has been falling over the past several years? Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 05:19 am
Miller- Absolutely. I also think that this is why more and more female applicants are entering medical school. Managed care, and high malpractice fees have turned off many men away from medicine. I personally have had two (male) doctors tell me that they would discourage their boys from going to medical school. My own doctor left private practice to work at the V.A., where the government handles the malpractice.

Getting back to my point about women. I think that the reason that women are now going into medicine in much larger numbers is because there is less of a concern for the women about making huge bucks. I think that this willl ultimately help the medical field, because the type of women who will now go in for medicine, will BE the ones who want to heal, not just simply make money.
0 Replies