Life after hysterectomy??

Mkell1

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 01:06 pm
I need personal stories about life after a hysterectomy. I will be having one on Friday but one if not both ovaries will be left in. What is life like after? What's sex life after? I'm afraid my husband won't enjoy it. I'm afraid I won't enjoy it. I need someone to talk to that has gone through it and knows what I am going through.
Please and thank you in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,560 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 01:47 pm
@Mkell1,
I haven't gone through it but two good friends have. One was in her twenties, took hormone pills routinely after that, had a very jolly sex life for another bunch of decades. Another had a complete hysterectomy in her thirties, looked on it almost from day one (I didn't know her then, but shortly thereafter) as being saved from ever worrying about uterine or ovarian cancer, also took hormone pills, also had a clearly happy sex life for more decades.

I had something different - a massively bleeding small fibroid, which was taken out in a then new technique using a laser, not a hysterectomy. Before I had that done, I had to take a shot, lipron, I think it was, that cut down any ongoing sex hormone production.

That small, easy surgery went well, but after the shot and for a few months after surgery I had remarkably little, stunningly little to me, interest in sex. I told the doctor. He put me on estrotest pills (have some testosterone in the mix, that women have normally) and that brought my interest back to normal, basically kicked up my normal hormones, so we (dr. and I) took me off of it a few months later, and I was fine.

If I remember your posts, you didn't want to take any pills anymore ever.
I hope you reconsider that, as you may need supplementation.
From my experience, I'd say it is extremely eerie having no or low sex hormones.
I don't know what happens re hormone levels with loss of one ovary versus two. Please talk with your doctor about that.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 01:57 pm
@Mkell1,
My wife had one a year ago. She was able to keep both of her ovaries so she doesn't have to take any hormones. She was already slightly crazy so no change there. Sex was different in the beginning but after a few months (Dr. said 2 months min before sex) it was normal again. Can't say what it would be like now, we are having marital problems the few months. Since she had the operation it has been a little easier for her to lose weight since her body is no longer fighting cancer so that is a bonus for her as well.

She used to read a site: www.hystersisters.com/ I guess it has a lot of good info as well as stories you may be looking for.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 01:52 pm
If you get just the uterus out, there should be NO problems. I felt great after that was done for me some 12 years ago.

If the tubes and ovaries have to come out, then you need to talk to the Dr. about your current homrone level and be sure it gets returned, either by pills or some other way.

How old are you?
Mkell1

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 06:52 am
@PUNKEY,
All that was removed was my uterus.
I am 23.
0 Replies