Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 09:37 am
@izzythepush,
Ha!

Cedez le Passage is always the one that makes me twitch in certain places.

https://levadrouilleururbain.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/ab3a1.gif
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 09:38 am
@Lordyaswas,
You can always shrug.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 09:40 am
@izzythepush,
Not when I'm having my passage ceded!
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 10:03 am
@Lordyaswas,
I'm genuinely at a loss for words.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2017 04:30 am
Quote:
King Richard III's burial site, which was famously found beneath a council car park, has been given protected status.

The last Plantagenet king's remains were discovered in 2012 after a team of enthusiasts and historians pinpointed the location in Leicester.

It has been dubbed "one of the most significant in our national history".

Richard III, who was killed at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485, was reburied at Leicester Cathedral.

He was originally interred at the church of the Greyfriars, a 13th-Century monastic friary.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, as soon as the authorities appreciated the significance of the site, its days as a car park were numbered.

Once the identity of the remains was confirmed, plans for a visitor centre were approved and it opened just over a year later.

The centre, housed in a former school, was extended to cover the actual location of the grave.

A window in the floor allows visitors to see below their feet to the spot where the king was found.

Council workers have - obviously - had to find alternative spots for their vehicles, and car park attendant Mike Mistry has since been made redundant.
The church appears to have been demolished during the reign of Henry VIII.

However, because much of the area was not built upon during the intervening centuries, it is believed Greyfriars remains relatively "well-preserved" underground.

Making the friary into a scheduled monument means special consent is required before any work or changes can be made.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-42427088
0 Replies