Feeling powerless - Hurricane "Sandy"

9one1

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 07:23 pm
Living in New England you can really get slammed when it comes to mother nature and her wrath, but it seems like once a year,last year Hurricane "Irene" and now this storm, the BIG ONE manages to find the east coast ,only this time "Sandy" is the big one and you're powerless to do anything about it.

I live about 15 minutes outside of Boston and local weather reports are NOT predicting for this particular storm to slam us, however they are talking about high winds and heavy rain for an extended period of time(12 pm Mon - 9 pm Mon night ) , the media IMO blows things up all the time and it makes for alot of people to be anxiety ridden, including myself, obviously there is nothing you can do about it , but wait it out, there is no alternitive, my wife and i have prepared ourselves to expect the worse and hope for the best, this is one of those times i wish i didn't live in New England.

Finally i know my fear will disapate as the next few days go by, i just need to be strong and realize i'm not the only one dealing with this , but boy i'll tell you , it's a pretty scarey feeling knowing this size storm is headed right for you and nothing you do is going to make a difference as far as preventing it, at this point , just deal with it , as hard as it will be, power outages or not, and hopefully my higher power will get us through it safely, thank you all for listening and PLEASE BE SAFE AND GOD BLESS. Smile

Rich
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,011 • Replies: 8

George

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 07:38 pm
Two words, Rich:
New
Orleans

We'll be fine.
9one1

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 08:06 pm
@George,
LOL - If i didn't know any better i would , for a second, think you were talking with my wife, she says the same thing, i sure hope we will be fine George, take care buddy.Be safe. Smile

Rich

New Orleans is right, they got clobbered to say the least ! !
jespah

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 07:38 am
@9one1,
We do not have bajillion-year-old sea walls that haven't been maintained properly. The Back Bay is landfill, don't forget, but there's tons of other stuff between it and the Atlantic (e. g. East Boston - er, sorry, folks). Worry if you're in Hull. Worry if you've got Cape property. I'm not saying that it is nothing (it most certainly isn't; NStar is reporting some outages - http://outagemap.nstar.com/outage/OutageMap.aspx)

But really, the chances of us seeing second-story flooding are basically zero. Also, keep in mind, dropping pressure can make people overly nervous. You're likely being emotionally affected by the weather.
9one1

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 08:02 am
@jespah,
jespah - You're absolutely right, i hope i'm dead wrong as far as what could happen, i am getting ahead of myself, but again you're correct, i am emotionally effected by this "monster" however of a storm buddy. Perhaps tomorrow at this time Randolph Mass, my hometown, will be out of the woods like they say. But you stay safe anyhow ok pal.

Rich
George

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 08:12 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
. . . but there's tons of other stuff between it and the Atlantic (e. g. East
Boston - er, sorry, folks). . .

Hey! That's my old neighborhood you're talking about!

Eastie has lost more to MassPort than it will ever lose to a storm.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 01:39 pm
@9one1,
Hope you're doing ok today.
9one1

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 02:48 pm
@ehBeth,
Hey - I honestly didn't expect to hear from you, it's a pleasure of course to

know i did seeing all that went on with the other thread(s) anyway we are

getting hit pretty hard here in New England, if we can luck out for few more

hours they're saying the worst will be over and we

shouldn't lose power, god willing, thanks for the kind words and for thinking

of me, take care of yourself, i hope you're not effected by this storm. Stay safe if you are.

Rich
ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 12:23 pm
@9one1,
How did it work out for you with the storm?

We only lost power for about 10 - 12 hours up here in the part of Toronto I live in.

0 Replies