Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 11:00 am
John Kerry's Waffles

If you don't like the Democratic nominee's views, just wait a week.

Last week, President Bush offered a wry critique of his Democratic challengers. "They're for tax cuts and against them. They're for NAFTA and against NAFTA. They're for the Patriot Act and against the Patriot Act. They're in favor of liberating Iraq, and opposed to it. And that's just one senator from Massachusetts." Now that John Kerry is the presumptive Democratic nominee, Republicans are sure to focus the spotlight on his history of flip-flops. Kerry did vote for the Patriot Act, the No Child Left Behind Act, and the war in Iraq, even though he constantly trashes the Patriot Act, the No Child Left Behind Act, and the war in Iraq. He voted against the Defense of Marriage Act, which limited marriage to a man and a woman, but he now says marriage should be limited to a man and a woman. (Although he also points out that he once attended a gay wedding.) And those are just the better-known issues on which Kerry has "evolved."

Here, then, since John Edwards was too polite to mention them (though President Bush won't be), is a guide to some of Kerry's other reversals on substantive issues. This list doesn't include quickly withdrawn gaffes, such as Kerry's recent suggestion (retracted after an uproar from Jewish groups) that he might make James Baker or Jimmy Carter his Middle East envoy. It doesn't include long-renounced youthful indiscretions, such as his proposal after returning from Vietnam to eliminate most of the CIA. It doesn't include less clear-cut sins of omission and opportunism, such as his stirring denunciations of companies caught in accounting frauds, even though he supported a 1995 law protecting those companies from liability. And it doesn't include the inevitable fund-raising hypocrisies that accompany all modern campaigns, such as his donations from some of the "Benedict Arnold" companies he routinely rips on the trail, or his bundling of contributions from special interests despite his high-minded rejection of PAC money. Even so, the list is long, and it isn't all-inclusive. Kerry's supporters cite his reversals as evidence of the senator's capacity for nuance and complexity, growth and change. His critics say they represent a fundamental lack of principles. Either way, we'll be hearing a lot about them over the next eight months.

See text of article for chart displaying the great waffling of John Kerry. Perhaps he could do ads for IHOP after he loses.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,010 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Letty

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:08 pm
Hmmm. McGentrix. I've got a better idea. Perhaps Kerry should "wrap himself in the flag" and hit the airways with a lot of 9/11 images in the background.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:11 pm
If Kerry had film of his heroics in Nam it would be splattered on TV too.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:16 pm
Hey, Brand X. Not quite certain of your implications. Explain, please.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:19 pm
Kerry's Nam related experiences is what defines him in the best light, not his voting record.

9/11 defines Bush in the best light...

Regarding public perception..
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:22 pm
curiosity here, does anyone have Kerry's actual voting record in total rather than just specific votes?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:25 pm
ok, gotcha. Right!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:27 pm
I don't dys, but I'm certain McGentrix does, since it's his thread.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:37 pm
dyslexia wrote:
curiosity here, does anyone have Kerry's actual voting record in total rather than just specific votes?

Hard to tell lately as he has missed almost EVERY Senate vote in the last two years in his run for the White House.

Before that, he has had one of the most Liberal voting records in the Senate.

Link: http://www.adaction.org/voting.html
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:42 pm
Quote:
"Before that, he has had one of the most Liberal voting records in the Senate"

which is exactly what I did not ask for, please note I asked for actual voting record rather than someones anaylysis of his voting record, especially Fedrals analysis which I hardly consider unbiased.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:42 pm
Thanks Fedral!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:53 pm
well goodness, we can easily get the point that Kerry has consistently voted "liberal" and since he has been a Senator representing Mass for the past 20 years, I guess we can also add that he has represented his state (also known to be "liberal') would probably be more interesting to have him cast "conservative" votes in the Senate ergo not representing the people who elected him to represent them. Or perhaps the conservatives among us would prefer that he did not represent the voters who elected him (that's the damn problem with representative democracy)
As I am sure most posters here realize, I favor Kucinich who actually is a liberal vs Kerry who I see as another party hack not so diffrerent from the republican party hacks.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:56 pm
Quote:
As I am sure most posters here realize, I favor Kucinich who actually is a liberal vs Kerry who I see as another party hack not so diffrerent from the republican party hacks.

Amen to that, mister.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 04:16 pm
Brand X wrote:
Kerry's Nam related experiences is what defines him in the best light, not his voting record.

Reminding voters he was in office during 9/11 shouldn't help Bush's cause. First of all, he was the man in charge during the greatest security failure in the history of the United States. Secondly, and more importantly, his leaderhip during that time was feeble at best - remember the hours spent in limbo flying around the nation?

John Kerry is war hero. He volunteered to fight. Period. During that time - when Americans had a chance to prove thier courage and allegiance - George Bush opted out by joining the Reserve. And, even then, his record is dubious at best.

There is a catagorical separation between Kerry capitalizing on his experiance in Nam and Bush capitalizing on his experiance with Septemeber 11th. Namely, the fact that Kerry's actions reflect on his good charecter, while Bush's actions merely reflect the fact that he happened to be in office during a tragedy.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 04:25 pm
Wrong, IZL, 9/11 not only defined Bush but it also defined an event that changed America forever and people need to be reminded of, not to instill fear, but why things were handled the way they were up til now. Bush handled things much to everyones satisfaction regarding 9/11, sans Iraq, and we can only speculate what Gore or whomever held office during such a historic tragedy would have done.

You are much too simplistic about that IMO.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 04:55 pm
Brand X wrote:
Wrong, IZL, 9/11 not only defined Bush but it also defined an event that changed America forever and people need to be reminded of, not to instill fear, but why things were handled the way they were up til now.

You are going to have to explain what this means, as if I don't speak Gibberish.

Quote:
Bush handled things much to everyones satisfaction regarding 9/11, sans Iraq, and we can only speculate what Gore or whomever held office during such a historic tragedy would have done.

You are much too simplistic about that IMO.

People make a positive connection between Bush and September 11th simply because Bush was in office during that time. It has fostered a sense of solidarity. I do not dispute this, although I recognize it is not rational. Bush's actions on Sept 11th are certainly not indicative of a good, solid leader.

Had Al Gore, Bob Dole, Oprah Winfrey, or yo mama, been in office during that time they would have inspired a similar sense of solidarity. That doesn't make the feeling rational. And it certainly doesn't make Bush's efforts to capitalize on it laudable.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 06:10 pm
IronLionZion wrote:
Brand X wrote:

Reminding voters he was in office during 9/11 shouldn't help Bush's cause. First of all, he was the man in charge during the greatest security failure in the history of the United States. Secondly, and more importantly, his leaderhip during that time was feeble at best - remember the hours spent in limbo flying around the nation?

John Kerry is war hero. He volunteered to fight. Period. During that time - when Americans had a chance to prove thier courage and allegiance - George Bush opted out by joining the Reserve. And, even then, his record is dubious at best.

There is a catagorical separation between Kerry capitalizing on his experiance in Nam and Bush capitalizing on his experiance with Septemeber 11th. Namely, the fact that Kerry's actions reflect on his good charecter, while Bush's actions merely reflect the fact that he happened to be in office during a tragedy.

Wow. It's amazing that a single person can be so wrong so often.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 06:27 pm
I wish that Kerry would just stand up in front of an audience on TV and say Yes, I am a liberal. I stand for the working people of America and I am proud of it. Like Bill Meyer (?name the guy on HBO real time) said last night on Larry King Live being called a liberal is not a dirty word.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 06:31 pm
What's all this got to do with waffles? I like 'em with real butter and maple syrup, a trifle crisp.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 06:40 pm
odd. I just got a message that said something to the effect that this message does not exist or has been moved to a restricted area.

Question Question Question Question
0 Replies