Abreaction Bar in Nanjing

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 09:30 am
Abreaction Bar in Nanjing
You can beat someone as you wish if paying

(The thread is just for the purpose of learning how to properly write something in English, so please improve it with your better grammar. )

At 9 o'clock overnight, reporter came in the bar in Shengzhou Road. Coincidently there was an about 30-year-old man enterned the bar and asked the reporter:" I've heard of here can offer 'abreaction service'. Is it true?" After received a positive answer, the man went upstairs directly.

The bar became crowded with hot ambience at 11 o'clock that night. As the clock pointed to 12, an emcee came to the stage, saying:"The next show is most wonderful in our bar. If you feel unhappy because of your hubby or wife didn't go back home over night, or he/she always trysted his/her lover and tried to hide the fact,you can now abreact it in the dancing pool."

And then, the reporter saw an about 20-year-old man entered the pool and said that every one can abreact on him and he would not fight back.The amcee announced the rules for abreaction:"Each time you can beat him for 2 minutes, gentleman please pay 50 yuans, lady, 20 yuans."

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 760 • Replies: 9
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 12:02 am
Wow, I am entangled by the silly news. It is unworthy to express the stupid message with honorable English language. Razz
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 07:03 pm
Oristar, I had to look up "abreaction." The word was new to me. My dictionary defines is as "the expression and emotional discharge of unconscious material (as a repressed idea or emotion) by verbalization especially in the presence of a therapist."

This definition does not fit at all with what you're describing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 09:00 pm
Yep - abreaction is the intense release of long suppressed or repressed material. It certainly ISN'T hitting someone in a bar.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 01:41 pm
Sad news. Three of the English-Chinese dics in my hand made me in trouble.

And I checked out English dics on line. As you said, the word was really not fit in the context of my thread.

Quote:

(1) Definitions of abreaction on the Web:
(psychoanalysis) purging of emotional tensions

(2) • noun Psychoanalysis the expression and consequent release of a previously repressed emotion, achieved through hypnosis or suggestion.
-- The Compact Oxford English Dictionary

(3) Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
(Roberta has posted it)

How about "Bar for Venting" instead? The venting means "Venting on someone" here.
I could not think out a proper one for now.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 06:13 pm
Oristar, This doesn't sound like venting either. Venting is a kind of release of tensions. In fact, this doesn't sound like anything other than a horrible approach to earning money. Maybe it's sadomasochism.

A bit of advice. Find something else to write about.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 03:53 am
Hi Roberta, I understand what was in your mind. The bar should be cracked down by govt; or, let's call it "Sadomasochism Bar". Very Happy Razz

But, given the sadomasochism in the bar is human-shaped advanced robots who can act like real human, how will you write about the title?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 04:45 am
The customers are not hitting him, they are yelling at him.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 05:33 am
Joe, I don't think yelling is intended.

Oristar, How would I write a headline for this? I'm not much of a headline writer. And, as I think about it, I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with something that doesn't impose my opinion on the subject. How's this:

Pay for the Privilege of Punching Other Patrons
New Bar in Nanjing Lets You Do Just That
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 09:51 pm
Thanks Roberta, just use that title you made for the time being. Very Happy
0 Replies