Branding is for cows?

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 09:51 pm
(1) What does "Branding is for cows" mean?

Context:

"Corporate values have been compromised in recent years," Mr. Disney said. The prevailing wisdom at the company seems to be "that creativity and originality are things you can no longer afford."

"Branding is for cows," Mr. Disney added. "It is something you do when there is nothing original about your product."

Following their presentations, Mr. Eisner retorted that "you have just heard rhetoric from our critics which displaces reason."

(2) Does "respect" mean "relation" or "reference" here?

Context:

"Disney is not a broken company by any means. And Eisner's job is a tough position to fill. It is a 24-hour, seven-day-a-week high-visibility job. There are not a lot of candidates who want the job in that respect or are able to do it."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 620 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 10:00 pm
As for the use of the word respect, yes it is used to refer to "a 24-hour, seven-day-a-week high-visibility job." It is my opinion, however, that the sentence in which it is used is constructed in a an awkward manner--it is just barely acceptable usage. Of course, the native speakers of any language can easily make such ungainly constructions.

In the past, before cattle were marked with tatoos or ear tags, they were marked by burning a unique symbol in their coat with an iron heated red hot--known, not surprisingly, as a branding iron. It is an iconographic term in our culture, as it is associated with the activity of cowboys, and was portrayed over and over in motion picture and television "westerns." Mr. Disney's use here is rather obscure, and i suspect his remark is either offered out of context, or that he assumed a knowledge on the part of whomever he addressed which is not immediately apparent. It would seem to that he is making an ironic statement about Mr. Eisner offering nothing different from that offered by the competition, other than having the Disney name on it. "Branding" has recently become a verb meaning putting the brand name of a company on a product. So, it would seem that Mr. Disney is saying the Mr. Eisner offers an unremarkable product, no different than the competition, having only the recommendation of the Disney Studio name--and Mr. Disney condemns this by the ironic use of the earlier meaning of branding, saying that branding is only for cows, and should not be used by a studio with the reputation of Disney Studios.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 10:22 pm
Excellent reply, Wy! Your quick thinking and quick acting have impressed me so much! Very Happy

I think the culture of "branding cows" is actually an ancient culture both for the West and the East.
0 Replies