My baby has got a tooth ache?

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 12:51 pm
my 3 year old bit down on a crisp yesterday and now his side of his face is so swollen?
i know it's his tooth but i don't know what to do?
Should i rush him to hospital or try and get dentist in the morning?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 4,436 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 12:53 pm
@masonjim1988,
Take him to a dentist. Is he in pain while breathing? That could mean the tooth is broken. Swelling generally means infection, so a doctor is probably in order too.
0 Replies

LucyJames

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 03:09 am
@masonjim1988,
Hello Friends,

Toothaches may be worse when your child consumes cold or hot foods or beverages. There are several steps you can take to relieve your child's pain from a toothache, but always consult with your dentist if the pain lasts more than 24 hours.
Step 1: Help your child floss the area that's causing discomfort. Toothaches can be caused by food wedged between teeth which can irritate the gum line. Then have your child rinse with warm water.
Step 2: Administer acetaminophen or ibuprofen to relieve pain from a toothache. Consult with your doctor for proper dosage instructions. Never give your child aspirin and do not place pain medicine directly on the tooth or gums.
Step 3: Apply an over-the-counter antiseptic with benzocaine directly to your child's irritated tooth and gums. This will temporarily numb the area. Do not use more than directed and never use benzocaine on children younger than 2-years-old.
Step 4: Place a cold pack on your child's jaw for 20 minutes to reduce swelling and discomfort.
Step 5: Contact your doctor if the pain persists for more than 24 hours or worsens. If tooth decay is causing the pain, an antibiotic may be prescribed before dental procedures can be completed. Once the course of antibiotics is complete, the dentist will remove the decay and fill the tooth. If decay is extensive, a root canal or tooth extraction may be necessary.

Thanks And Regards.
Lucy James
0 Replies

David Bushey

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 12:51 am
@masonjim1988,
Hello Members,

A child may experience a toothache for a variety of different reasons. Whether it is just a mild soreness or a sharp pain, your goal as a parent is to do something to help ease the pain. Acids resulting from the breakdown of sugar can lead to tooth decay, which in turn affects nerves in the teeth, making a tooth particularly sensitive to pain. While toothaches are a common problem among children, you do not want to ignore the cause. Home remedies can help keep the pain manageable until you can schedule your child to see a dentist. Some of the more common remedies include rubbing clove oil on the tooth that hurts, placing cold slices of raw potato or cucumber inside your child's mouth to soothe the pain or applying a warm, damp cloth to the outside of your child's cheeks. Some parents place dried mint leaf on the aching tooth.

Thanks a lot
David Bushey
0 Replies

Alison Bond

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 01:44 am
@masonjim1988,
Hello all,

A cavity or broken tooth can cause a toothache for your child. Some toothaches cause minor discomfort, others result in severe throbbing with a fever, fatigue and malaise. Toothaches may be worse when your child consumes cold or hot foods or beverages. There are several steps you can take to relieve your child's pain from a toothache, but always consult with your dentist if the pain lasts more than 24 hours.

Thanks and Regards
Alison Bond
0 Replies