One term and little engine

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 12:00 am
(1) Does the "term" mean "a period of time that is assigned to a person to serve" in the pic?

http://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/post-7-1078284438.jpg

(2) What does "the little engine that could" mean? "Little engine"= "little locomotive"?

Context:
"We have been the little engine that could, and I am proud of what we have done together," the smiling Mr. Edwards told a throng of cheering supporters in Atlanta. He said he had called to congratulate Mr. Kerry for a "strong, powerful campaign," and that the two shared a deep commitment to social justice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 830 • Replies: 7
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 12:08 am
Whoa, the image cannot be showed.

It said in the pic: "Like father, like son. One term and Bush is done"

I think "done" is "doomed"?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 01:30 am
Hi Oristar,
You're right. One term in this case means "one term as president of the US". George Bush the father served one term and then lost the election; the writer is saying that the same thing will happen when George Bush the son runs in November.

"The Little Engine That Could" is a children's book that has been popular for decades. It tells the story of a little locomotive, loaded with good healthy food and toys for children, that has to try very hard to make it up a hill and to the town where the children are. She (the locomotive) asks for help from other engines, but they are too busy or consider themselves too important. In the end she has to depend on herself, and her slogan, "I think I can, I think I can..." is meant to teach children to try hard at everything they do.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 02:53 am
Thanks Wy, I've been trying to be The Little Engine That Could in learning English Very Happy
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 04:42 am
Like father, like son. One term and Bush is done.

Yes, 'done' in this example means doomed, finished, washed up, out of there.

How about these idioms from the kitchen that also mean he's done or his time is up?

His goose is cooked.
He's toast.
Stick a fork in him. He's done.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 05:06 am
Link to "The Little Engine that Could"

Quote:
Amazon.com
The unknowing progenitor of a whole generation of self-help books, Wally Piper's The Little Engine That Could is one of the greatest tales of motivation and the power of positive thinking ever told. In this well-loved classic, a little train carrying oodles of toys to all of the good boys and girls is confronted with a towering, seemingly impassable mountain. As nicely as they ask, the toys cannot convince the Shiny New Engine or the Big Strong Engine--far too impressed with themselves--to say anything but "I can not. I can not." It is left up to the Little Blue Engine to overcome insurmountable odds and pull the train to the other side. The Little Engine That Could is an entertaining and inspirational favorite, and the Little Blue Engine's rallying mantra "I think I can--I think I can" will resonate for a lifetime in the head of every child who hears it. (Ages 4 to 8))
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 10:08 pm
Thanks Joe Nation and Phoenix.

I think "Little engine that could" mean "little engine that could do it", but it has been colloquially shortened?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 10:19 pm
Yep.

(Note shortened reply.)
0 Replies