A2k mission revisited

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 01:18 pm
Andy in post # …722 of

http://able2know.org/topic/194171-1

makes a guess at it but still it remains somewhat mysterious judging especially from gravitation of its devotees

Of course many sorts with many topics participate but I repeat my assertion that certain types are drawn to certain forums, often for no apparent reason. For instance is it not true that a2k qualifies in that respect, attracting (1) young folk, (2) non-English speaking, and (3) the misanthrope

Category (3) obviously owes to an unusually liberal Admin, permitting all sorts of aspersion and vilification. At other forums you can be banned forever for the most innocent practices such as questionable grammar or punctuation whereas here--except for downright advertising--anything goes

and (2), the interest in language through the international tilt of its heritage? not clear from its mission statements

http://able2know.org/about/

but (3) is most puzzling. In some 17 years my trolling from one forum to another upon dulling interest or more often outright banning by an overly sensitive Admin crew, I find the interest of the younger set puzzling though definitely encouraging

…and that's one reason I encourage contributor of the typical OP to provide some information about himself, such as age, sex, nationality, work and other proclivities or interests

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 02:49 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
For instance is it not true that a2k qualifies in that respect, attracting (1) young folk, (2) non-English speaking, and (3) the misanthrope

(1) Young folk? I think there are more old geezers (e.g. you and me) on this forum than on any other forums I'm familiar with. At least the ones I find myself interacting with.
(2) Non-English speaking, yes. Just shows that this is an excellent forum for ESL students.
(3) Misanthropes? Hold on there. I resent that. I'm selective about whom I despise. Laughing

The one thing that does set A2k apart from many others, imo, is the generally 'liberal' political stance of some 90 percent of the posters. The right wing neo-cons all stand out like sore thumbs.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 03:25 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
(1) Young folk? I think there are more old geezers…….At least the ones I find myself interacting with.
But how would we know--not everyone provides an img. My impression however is gathered from the many newcomers

Quote:
(2) ...an excellent forum for ESL students.
Aha! Thank you, I had been looking for an expression describing this status and yes it's excellent barring the effect of the (3)

Quote:
(3) …….. I'm selective about whom I despise.
Well put, it's not every posting that gives me a genuine guffaw

I might append (4) folk intrigued by math

Quote:
The one thing that does set A2k apart from many others, imo, is the generally 'liberal' political stance of some 90 percent of the posters.
Interesting you should so attest. I gain the general impression that most forum participants lean that way though of course I'd be the last to explore the right-wing blogosphere, much as I never access Fox for the news

Quote:
The right wing neo-cons all stand out like sore thumbs.
I get that impression too. It's as if they're angry, perhaps on a subconscious basis, e.g., hate for their parents, attaching itself to authority as in the political realm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 03:42 pm
This may be useful, dale, er, ile - the person who started this site had been then primarily interested in language communication. That still is a key interest here, no matter how some of us long timers hang.

It still is primarily an information site, in intent.
People who scurrilize homework askers didn't read the a2k promo.
We do try to help, though usually we don't just dole out answers, more try to help people figure how to understand.

A2k mission revisited? What does that mean? You can research a2k history if you work at it. There is a search function. I suggest you read more, while I gather you can't be bothered.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 04:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
…….the person who started this site had been then primarily interested in language communication.
I had suspected as much but how did you learn this

Quote:
It still is primarily an information site, in intent.
True but aren't all forums

Quote:
People who scurrilize homework askers didn't read the a2k promo.
You might be privy to inside info; so where do I find said promo

Quote:
We do try to help, though usually we don't just dole out answers, more try to help people figure how to understand.
By the liberal use of "we," do you infer some connection with a2k Admin

Quote:
A2k mission revisited? What does that mean?
http://able2know.org/topic/194171-1

Quote:
You can research a2k history if you work at it.
In fact I consulted Google with that very motive tho was unsuccessful but apparently you know where to go (no pun intended) so if you could provide me a link to said history I'd be obliged

Quote:
There is a search function.
What's it called and where do I find it

Edited to add: Aha! So there is, and at the earliest opportunity I shall avail myself of it; and though I had hoped for something more succinct I suppose beggards can't be choosers

Quote:
I suggest you read more,
Would if I could

Edited to remark, I do when I can

Quote:
while I gather you can't be bothered.
But Oss what leads you to so speculate
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 04:28 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
There, I fixed that for you ...

Lustig Andrei wrote:
The one thing that does set A2k apart from many others, imo, is the leftist pinko commie generally 'liberal' political stance of some 90 percent of the posters. The right wing neo-cons all stand out like sore thumbs.

George

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 04:55 pm
@Ticomaya,
That's Tico, our Mr. Helpful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 04:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Dale, I think of you as a tool, a manipulater extraordinaire, with dollops of whine.

I will try to address your questions one more time, but not now.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 04:58 pm
@Ticomaya,
Thank you, Tico, for helping to demonstrate just how hide-bound and unhelpful most of the right wing scum can be.
engineer

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 05:42 pm
I think this board has the overall oldest age of regulars I've ever seen so I'm not sure where the young people comment comes from. You want young, go to Yahoo Answers. Other than that, we get what the search engines send us. Post one ESL question and the next thing you know, you are at the top of the Google search list and you get ten more. We just got through a batch of incest questions for the same reason. Where I think A2K is more unique is that we have a pretty loyal cadre of regulars who spar back and forth compared to a lot of boards where the community may be larger but participants are less committed.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 07:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Thank you, Tico, for helping to demonstrate just how hide-bound and unhelpful most of the right wing scum can be.

Thank you, MA, for demonstrating how mean-spirited you leftists are.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 08:38 pm
@Ticomaya,
Laughing Ok, Tico. Now we're even. Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 08:42 pm
@engineer,
Engineer, I love your horrible avatar.
aspvenom

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 08:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
People who scurrilize homework askers

Shame on them for being such a bad sport.
Shame shame shame shame shame....
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 08:57 pm
@aspvenom,
aspvenom wrote:

Quote:
People who scurrilize homework askers

Shame on them for being such a bad sport.
Shame shame shame shame shame....

Love that turn of phrase,too -- scurrilize homework askers. Sounds almost like the English language but my Spellcheck is questioning both 'scurrilize' and 'askers'. Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 09:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Dale famously does not listen.
Butrflynet knocks herself out to help him but he skips over her help.
And then he comes back and rants again, with an entirely new rant thread.

He seems fairly smart, but goes on and on about being at the door of alzheimers.

Some of us have lived with people with alzheimers. I in particular do not like that word thrown around.
engineer

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 09:11 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks! All in the Halloween spirit.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 09:16 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
That's me, with the new words - I'm a wordifier.
On homework, this site was started as a knowledge site and is still promoted as such.
Every so often, people asking homework questions are mocked.
Mocking them is antithetical to this site.

Most of us have no interest in just answering school questions, zap, but are ok on helping figuring things out given the person asking shows some effort.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 09:51 pm
@ossobuco,
True enuff, Osso. But does that constitute a prima facie case of scurrilization? I ain't all that sure. Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 10:35 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't think of you as a scurrilizer, Andy.

(snort! I'd expect you to fast stir fry them, after eight hours of marinating.)
0 Replies