A2k mission revisited

roger

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 10:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Wordifier. That would be like a neologist.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 12:14 am
@Ticomaya,
Tico, entirely OT but please tell me how you achieve the crossout
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 12:15 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I think of you as a tool, a manipulater extraordinaire
Oss I'm flattered
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 12:19 am
@engineer,
Quote:
I'm not sure where the young people comment comes from.
From the OP's of many newcomers, esp those who apparently use real name instead of user and who in other respects seem to exhibit a sort of innocence--with the emphasis on homework
dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 12:20 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Love that turn of phrase,too -- scurrilize homework askers
I was similarly struck
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 12:22 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Butrflynet knocks herself out to help him but he skips over her help.
Pray where exactly
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 01:41 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
leftist pinko commie ... stance of some 90 percent of the posters

Smile
You really think so, Tico?
Goodness, what other sites have you been frequenting to form that conclusion?
What I do think is "interesting" in the political discussions here is the amount of personal abuse thrown around (by both sides) especially on the US election threads.
But 90% leftist pinko commie posts?
I don't think so! Wink

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 02:02 am
He's probably a Freeper.
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 02:05 am
@Setanta,
I had to Google to understand that.
Not that I'm exactly familiar with Free Republic, mind!
dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 02:37 am
@msolga,
Think Alan Jones and Fox.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 03:03 am
@msolga,
Think Finn on a bad day.
djjd62

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 05:09 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure where the young people comment comes from.
From the OP's of many newcomers, esp those who apparently use real name instead of user

one of them uses the name of a famous actor and one started an account using the name of a journalist the day after the journalist was killed, why do you think these folks are young let alone real
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 05:17 am
@djjd62,

dale sez he's 81 -- by default, that makes the rest of us whipper-snappers...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 06:01 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Think Finn on a bad day.

Oh I'd really prefer not to do that! Wink

But, fair's fair, something I would really like to say about Tico's activities on A2K ...
He has been one of the most helpful people here when it comes to resolving computer/internet problems.
In the most patient & kindest way possible.
I have been really grateful for his assistance, on more than one or two occasions at that.
Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 08:28 am
@msolga,
Although i'm obviously not fond of his over-the-top, nearly hysterical responses to me in the past, i largely have little problem with his "contributions." However, in political matters, it appears to me that he bends over backwards to produce what is essentially a caricature of contemporary reactionary conservatism. Perhaps he does it hoping to get a rise out of the alleged leftists here.

Conservatives who show up here routinely claim that almost everyone else here is a "liberal" (an essentially meaningless label in the contemporary United States) or a leftist. In fact, among that group of people who so routinely get labelled that way, there is a wide variance of opinions displayed. I and many of the others who in political contexts get labeled liberal or leftist do not necessarily agree on every matter, and are in fact sometimes vehemently dissentient on issues which the conservatives claim there is a monolithic "liberal" point of view. Actually, all those members are doeing is alleging a group think in order to set up straw men they can then knock down. Finn is addicted to that technique, probably because his posts are so often wonderfully fact-free, and he gets put down regularly by people like Cyclo or Parados. It's much easier to allege that all "liberals" believe this or that, and hope to sucker someone into defending a position they don't actually hold.

My grandparents who raised me were, literally, card-carrying conservative Democrats. My grandfather was the Democratic precinct committeman. That puts me far to the right of many of the people here, but it doesn't stop Finn from trying to set up his straw men, or David from calling me a commie.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 09:51 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
leftist pinko commie ... stance of some 90 percent of the posters

Smile
You really think so, Tico?
Goodness, what other sites have you been frequenting to form that conclusion?
What I do think is "interesting" in the political discussions here is the amount of personal abuse thrown around (by both sides) especially on the US election threads.
But 90% leftist pinko commie posts?
I don't think so! Wink

I don't mean to answer for Tico, but it seems he was jokingly and ironically responding to Lustig Andrei having made reference to “right wing neo-cons” in contrast to “the generally ‘liberal’ political stance” on A2K.
It seems LA took a dig at the conservatives here, also joking, I’m sure, and Tico responded in kind.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 10:11 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
why do you think these folks are young
Their style seemed a bit naive. However Dj I did query a couple of them and as I recall one was 12 and the other 14

Quote:
let alone real
Admittedly guesswork. I was surprised to learn that some if not most were phony as you report
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 10:31 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
You can research a2k history if you work at it. There is a search function.
Yes and again thanks for the suggestion. However using titles like "a2k history" or "a2k purpose" I didn't have much luck. Any further suggestions in this realm are welcome

Quote:
I suggest you read more, while I gather you can't be bothered.
I readily concede to a sense of laziness though curiosity might be considered a countervailing asset

I'm really not a bad person

However I was hoping to save me the tedious search someone might provide a link describing the history of a2k, its founder and his locale, its mission, etc

But thanks Oss for at least responding
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 02:49 pm
@InfraBlue,
OK. You may well be right about that, InfraBlue.
Thanks.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 05:39 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
I don't mean to answer for Tico, but it seems he was jokingly and ironically responding to Lustig Andrei having made reference to “right wing neo-cons” in contrast to “the generally ‘liberal’ political stance” on A2K.
It seems LA took a dig at the conservatives here, also joking, I’m sure, and Tico responded in kind.

Correct.