More political scum in Arkansas

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 12:26 am
http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/10/09/975021/arkansas-state-rep-if-slavery-were-so-god-awful-why-didnt-jesus-or-paul-condemn-it/
Quote:
Arkansas State Rep: ‘If Slavery Were So God-Awful, Why Didn’t Jesus Or Paul Condemn It?’

By Aviva Shen on Oct 9, 2012 at 10:25 am

After Arkansas Republicans disavowed a book by state representative Jon Hubbard (R-AR) claiming slavery was “a blessing in disguise” for African Americans, Hubbard’s colleague, state Rep. Loy Mauch (R-AR) has been outed by the Arkansas Times for his pro-slavery, pro-Confederacy letters to the editor over the past decade. Mauch’s run for reelection this year is backed by the Arkansas Republican Party.

In letters to the Democrat-Gazette, Mauch vehemently defended slavery and repeatedly suggested Jesus condoned it:

Quote:
If slavery were so God-awful, why didn’t Jesus or Paul condemn it, why was it in the Constitution and why wasn’t there a war before 1861?
The South has always stood by the Constitution and limited government. When one attacks the Confederate Battle Flag, he is certainly denouncing these principles of government as well as Christianity.

His other letters call Abraham Lincoln a Marxist and celebrate the Confederate flag as “a symbol of Christian liberty vs. the new world order.” He also organized a conference in 2004 praising John Wilkes Booth and calling for the removal of an Abraham Lincoln statue. Mauch has been supported mainly by contributions from the Republican Party and other Arkansas candidates. Now, the state GOP is pulling all funds from Mauch, Hubbard and another state legislative candidate, Charlie Fuqua, who wants to expel all Muslims from the country and thinks rebellious children should receive the death penalty.

Though the party committee has cut them off, the three candidates are still receiving support from other Arkansas politicians, including U.S. Reps Steve Womack (R) and Tim Griffin (R). Mauch has also been endorsed by the National Rifle Association and the Arkansas Right to Life PAC.

Did you ever think you'd hear a leading Republican refer to Abraham Lincoln as a Marxist? Shocked Mad Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,696 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 12:40 am
@wmwcjr,
Well, if those old boys from Arkansas and Missouri have their shoes tied and their zippers up, they're probably doing the best they can.

Can I take your characterization as "a leading Republican" as a bit of hyperbole? I'm going to flat out confesss. I never heard of this particular state representative before.
wmwcjr

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 01:01 am
@roger,
Hi, roger! Smile

I'm not meaning to be partisan here. The truth be known, I'm neither a Democrat nor a Republican. I'm not a member of any political party. I won't even be voting in this election. (Sorry, Finn. Sad As a fellow Texan, you know that Romney will carry the state easily.)

Perhaps I have engaged in a bit of hyperbole, although that was not my intention. I simply met that he's a leading Republican on the state legislative level and certainly not prominent nationwide. I had not heard of him, either.

Peace. Smile
roger

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 01:36 am
@wmwcjr,
By cracky, if I knew Romney would carry my state (NM) easily, I'd get right out there and vote Gary Johnson.

Maybe we should just call this guy ICONIC ARKANSAWYER.
roger

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 01:38 am
@roger,
Come to think on it, politicians being politicians, they might really be saying what they think will get them elected.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 07:12 am
@wmwcjr,
He makes a pretty good argument against believing mythology from thousands of years ago.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 08:05 am
@jcboy,
So the JC in jcboy doesn't stand for Jesus Christ?
RABEL222

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 08:17 am
If one did a little research we might find there is political scum in many of the states.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 08:19 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

So the JC in jcboy doesn't stand for Jesus Christ?

haha, nope, the initials of my parents first names Wink
maxdancona

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 08:23 am
@jcboy,
Interesting. My second guess would have been Jimmy Carter.
0 Replies