"Little" Vs "Few"

JTT

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 09:31 am
@MontereyJack,
That's dog punishing you, Jack, for your misleading ways. Smile

Take care and I do hope you enjoy your Sunday and the days to come. Cant' those things be zapped by a laser?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 09:46 am
@carolgreen876,
I have little money and few reasons to smile
I have less money and fewer reasons to smile than Jack Smith.
but...
I have more money and more reasons to smile than Jack Smith.
JTT

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 10:03 am
@contrex,
As I recall, C, you were the one who raised that silly, silly notion about may/can.
contrex

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 11:42 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

As I recall, C, you were the one who raised that silly, silly notion about may/can.

All I remember saying was that in my youth, genteel folks (and my schoolteachers) expected you to distinguish between (can) ability and may (permission), in fact that is was (is) a slightly old-fashioned British English class indicator.
JTT

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 04:40 pm
@contrex,
I'm glad that you have cleared that up, C.

Quote:
All I remember saying was that in my youth, genteel folks (and my schoolteachers) expected you to distinguish between (can) ability and may (permission), in fact that is was (is) a slightly old-fashioned British English class indicator.

I wonder why those idiots didn't want you [the general you] to distinguish between (can) permission and (may) possibility.

Odd isn't it, how class indicators are so often based on silly little fictions.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 04:44 pm
@contrex,
Ugh.. I hated teachers like that. The ones that would make you ask repeatedly, until they were satisfied with your choice of words, for permission to go for a pee.
JTT

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:17 pm
@Ceili,
You hated that, Ceili, because you knew, even as a small child, that those "teachers" didn't have the foggiest notion of what they were saying.

These same teachers/people who perpetuate these canards would turn right around and say, for example, to those students,

Can I borrow your pencil? Can I sit here for a moment? ...

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 12:02 pm
This was an London County Council primary school in the 1950s. (Rosendale Junior Mixed in Rosendale Road, West Dulwich, SE21) The aim of the teachers seemed to be to eradicate or at least reduce the tendency of the kids to speak like "little guttersnipes" as my mother put it. (This was a mostly working-class area of South London in the 1950s; my parents had middle-class ambitions but couldn't run to private school fees) Dropping aitches, saying "ain't", swearing, in fact Cockney pronunciation and usage generally.
JTT

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 12:11 pm
@contrex,
Right, C. As I mentioned,

"Odd isn't it, how class indicators are so often based on silly little fictions."

I remember some ignorant things that my mother believed too. I'm glad to see you've made such progress that you're not burdened by prescriptions which are after all, just silly little prejudices.
0 Replies