Work etiquette/ professionalism

Angel23

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 03:10 pm
I know there are topics not to discuss at work like politics, religion, and sex. What I can't understand is y I got bitched at for saying I miss a coworker who recently quit and that I can't focus. Please note I only elaborated a few sentences and stopped. The content of the bitching included that I made ppl uncomfortable. Really? How? And that maybe I shouldn't use the break room in the future. And that I been given too many chances. What? What did I say wrong? This was the third time I been told to act professional. Now I didn't know what I said was wrong. How could I know if I never experienced or read about it?

Plus, I was too loud in general, which is another issue. I just talk loud w/o realizing, esp if something I feel strongly about.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,970 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 06:15 pm
@Angel23,
Quote:
I miss a coworker who recently quit and that I can't focus.

You couldn't focus because the co-worker quit?

You couldn't focus in general?

Quote:
What I can't understand is y I got bitched at

Who did the "bitching," a co-worker or a supervisor?

Quote:
I was too loud in general, which is another issue. I just talk loud w/o realizing, esp if something I feel strongly about.

Do yourself a favor and study those topics I posted links for a couple weeks ago, the ones authored by dirttydozen222. You thought she was a lot worse off than you. Honestly, if I didn't know better, I'd say you were her, just posting under a different name. You two have almost identical social and work issues.
Ragman

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 06:18 pm
@Angel23,
I think your social and work place issues aren't something that come easily for you. How people in general fit and adjust within the work place often times is like second nature for some people but, for whatever reasons, it's not 2nd nature for you. When they tell you repeatedly to act professionally it is your job to learn what that means ...not their job to teach you how to get along and act around others.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 09:40 pm
@Butrflynet,
I agree 100%. I'd BET this was dirtydozen. Coincidentally this person is the same age and the same confusion over social issues and jobs. The same choice of words, grammar issues, too.

Also, readers of this note should look at another recent note she posted. This is a VERY serious issue (self harm and mutilation). http://able2know.org/topic/193772-1#post-5129833
0 Replies

Angel23

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 06:01 am
@Butrflynet,
I couldn't focus bc someone quit. And my supervisor did the bitching. Idk how I was unprofessional tho. It's my job to learn so I'm asking right here lol.
Mame

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 06:14 am
@Angel23,
Maybe next time just keep your thoughts to yourself. It may not be what you said but how you said it. Perhaps they mean professional to be just job-related conversation.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 12:32 pm
Consider this from the boss's perspective. A worker tells you he or she can't focus. You're now worried about the work this person is doing. Focusing is important! Not having the self-discipline to focus is unprofessional. And the reason you gave (a coworker quit) is a pretty lame reason not to focus. It might be more understandable or acceptable if you had an illness in your family.

Watch what you say and to whom. And discipline yourself to pay attention.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 01:43 pm
@Angel23,
A supervisor said this to you?

Quote:
The content of the bitching included that I made ppl uncomfortable. Really? How? And that maybe I shouldn't use the break room in the future. And that I been given too many chances. What? What did I say wrong? This was the third time I been told to act professional.

Sounds like they've had quite enough and you are on the verge of being canned. You might want to start looking for another job, just in case.
Angel23

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 03:24 pm
@Butrflynet,
I am.
Ragman

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 03:55 pm
@Angel23,
You might want to consider increasing your visits to therapy, as well. You have demonstrated clearly that you still don't seem to get it as yet .... as you keep blaming others for your mistakes and social miscues.
Angel23

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 07:53 am
@Ragman,
So ******* glad to get Thursday over with. Nothing's as fucked up as it seems. So far, I'm scheduled through next week. And Nov 16-18, we're projected to get our asses kicked. At least 20 of us will be there. And she told me I will too. So like...I'm ok with that since it's not Thanksgiving or Christmas eve. LOL
0 Replies