Shooting Victim can sue Gun Maker

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2012 04:39 pm
ALBANY, New York (Reuters) - A Buffalo man who was shot nearly a decade ago can sue the manufacturer, the distributor and the dealer of the semi-automatic pistol used to shoot him, a New York state appeals court ruled on Friday.
Attorneys for Daniel Williams, who was shot in 2003 when he was in high school, argued that Ohio-based manufacturer Beemiller and the distributor, MKS Supply, violated federal law by knowingly supplying guns to irresponsible dealers.
The defendants said they cannot be sued because of the federal Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, a 2005 law that shields firearm manufacturers and sellers from liability for harm caused by the criminal misuse of their non-defective products.
A unanimous panel of the Appellate Division, Fourth Department, on Friday reversed a 2011 ruling that threw out the case against the defendants - Beemiller, MKS Supply and gun dealer Charles Brown, who sold the guns to James Bostic, a Buffalo resident accused of running a trafficking scheme that funneled guns into the black market in New York.
The decision reinstates the case.

http://news.yahoo.com/court-rules-n-y-shooting-victim-sue-gun-022216172.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,219 • Replies: 5
No top replies

genefog2

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 09:51 am
@edgarblythe,
Ok. I got backed into by a drunk a piece back, I will now sue the bar, the guy who had the car, the maker of the booze, the car and the mother who gave birth to the drunk. God, how stupid.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 12:53 pm
@genefog2,
Why did you back into him?
roger

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 01:38 pm
@genefog2,
You might actually be able to sue the bar, or bartender.
0 Replies

genefog2

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 08:23 am
@edgarblythe,
Reread my post. He hit me, not the other way around. He had a Chrysler Cordoba (that was dumb enough) and was drunk.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 01:24 pm
Were bullets involved?
0 Replies