Two remains used in a row. I wonder whether we can or should another word to replace the second

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 07:11 pm

Context:

Sudden Cardiac Death. Despite progress in epidemiology, clinical profiling, and interventions, sudden cardiac death remains a major clinical and public health problem. There remain important unresolved issues that are challenges for future progress. Among these are a better understanding
of the magnitude of the problem and methods of profiling risk for individuals, the etiology and mechanisms of cardiac arrest in individuals with and without previously identified structural heart disease, clinical strategies for primary and secondary prevention of sudden cardiac death, and
further development of community programs for improving cardiac arrest survival in the out-ofhospital environment. Each of these areas of endeavor and potential progress are reviewed and discussed. (J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol, Vol. 12, pp. 369-381, March 2001)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 414 • Replies: 4
No top replies

engineer

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 07:46 pm
@oristarA,
How about this:

oristarA wrote:

Despite progress in epidemiology, clinical profiling, and interventions, sudden cardiac death remains a major clinical and public health problem with important unresolved issues that are challenges to future progress.
oristarA

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 07:55 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

How about this:

oristarA wrote:

Despite progress in epidemiology, clinical profiling, and interventions, sudden cardiac death remains a major clinical and public health problem with important unresolved issues that are challenges to future progress.

Very cool.

PS. The title should be "Two remains used in a row. I wonder whether we can or should use another word to replace the second"
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2012 12:15 am
The original is clumsy, lazy writing. The first "remains" can be replaced with "is still" and the second "remain" can be replaced with "are".
oristarA

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2012 05:00 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

The original is clumsy, lazy writing. The first "remains" can be replaced with "is still" and the second "remain" can be replaced with "are".

Excellent!
0 Replies