Government Allows Tax Deductions for Obesity Treatments

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 04:43 pm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4422368/

Quote:
Obese Americans who take drastic, expensive action to lose weight under a doctor's orders will at least be able to lighten their tax load

Very interesting. A couple of months ago I received a letter from my health insurer, Blue Cross. It said that a year from now, they will no longer be paying for obesity related operations, like stomach stapling.

Now I see this article. Up until now, the government only allowed tax deductions for operations for conditions that occurred as a result of obesity. Now thay will allow tax deductions for operations, counselling and medications that are prescribed for obesity alone.

Personally I think that it is a good move on the part of the government. I wonder though, if there is a coincidence between the new regulation, and the change in the Blue Cross policy?

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,077 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Sugar

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 05:16 pm
I saw this a little while ago. It's quite a bit of money, too - like up to a $20,000 deduction claim for stomach reduction.

I don't agree with it. Others don't get a tax deductions for the money they spend buying healthy foods or a gym membership. But I suppose if you make the effort to live a good healthy life you just doom yourself to paying everyone else's medical bills anyway- drug rehab, alcohol programs, obesity, the prozac nation....

I'm getting my little medical piece by refusing to quit smoking. I sometimes think I don't want to smoke anymore and go for hours without it - where before I'd just have to have one. Then I remember that my taxes won't decrease and I'll keep paying astronomical amounts for health insurance either way, so I light up.

Maybe when I do quit I'll just spend my extra money supersizing everything. When I get too large I'll have a tax deduction!
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 07:20 pm
This is part of why we should have a flat tax rate - so the politicians stop altering around tax law to get their desired voting blocs.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 07:41 am
Maybe they should state that any expense toward good health and disease prevention should be tax deductable.

I keep myself in very good health and physical shape to avoid illness and living in a wheelchair... I'm physically disabled and also have IBS, and I would rather exercise like crazy and eat right, rather than letting my joint pain take over and resign myself to a wheelchair. I feel that if obese people can be rewarded for making their life healthier, then those who maintain a healthy life should be rewarded as well.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 06:32 pm
If your Doc prescribes a gym membership for your health, it's a tax write-off.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 08:43 pm
L.R.R.Hood wrote:
Maybe they should state that any expense toward good health and disease prevention should be tax deductable.

I keep myself in very good health and physical shape to avoid illness and living in a wheelchair... I'm physically disabled and also have IBS, and I would rather exercise like crazy and eat right, rather than letting my joint pain take over and resign myself to a wheelchair. I feel that if obese people can be rewarded for making their life healthier, then those who maintain a healthy life should be rewarded as well.

I have IBS too (sucks, doesn't it) and I have to stay in very good health.

Can you imagine if everyone in the US was healthy? That would cause problems with social security, everybody living so long!

I don't think it's the government's job to babysit. Prevent murders, yes. make sure you eat your carrots, no.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 08:51 pm
How about a "Fast Food Tax"?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 04:43 am
Men placed on very low fat diets have been found to have higher rates of sucide.

Has the Fed thought about that?
0 Replies