Antonym for Sizzle

contrex

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 11:06 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Excellent point, C.

Not to try to steal your thunder but that was my first thought when I read the first post.

Thank you. It's an old teacher's trick, to plant a joker in a set of questions, to see who the more thoughtful students are. The very word 'sizzle' is suggestive of that, at least to me. Assignments are not just practice for the students, they can also tell the teacher a lot about how a student thinks. You will get those who only look in dictionaries, and say "I can't find one for sizzle." and those who actually think about what an antonym is, and what kind of words can have one, and make a reasoned case for sizzle not being capable of having an antonym.

izzythepush

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 11:07 am
@contrex,
What about gurgle?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 11:10 am
@contrex,
I think you're expecting a lot from Grade 4 students and teachers.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 11:29 am
Try it out:

That's a girl with sizzle!!

That's a girl with fizzle.

Joe(Use your imaginations)Nation
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 12:04 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I think you're expecting a lot from Grade 4 students and teachers.

I was both of these myself. Incidentally, someone has humorously edited the Wikipedia page "Fourth grade":

Quote:
Students are taught larger place value, how to write a good summery, writing with trancitions, how to red large numbers, writing with a starter sentences and detail sentences.

At least, I hope that's what happened.

This is part of the UK Year 5 curriculum, the same age as US 4th Grade (emphasis mine):

"Understand what synonyms and antonyms are, and provide synonyms and antonyms for given words."

Here is a summary of the "Grammar and Usage" section of the syllabus

Quote:
GRAMMAR AND USAGE
Understand the components of a complete sentence.

Identify the subject and predicate in single-clause sentences.
For example (subject is in bold and predicate is in italics): Anna scored a goal.

Distinguish complete sentences from fragments.

Identify and correct ‘run-on’ sentences in which several main clauses are strung together without appropriate punctuation.

Identify the subject and verb in a sentence and understand that they must agree.

Identify and use different sentence types: declarative, interrogative, imperative and exclamatory.

Know the following parts of speech and how they are used: nouns, pronouns, verbs (action verbs and auxiliary verbs), adjectives (including articles), adverbs, conjunctions (and, but, or), prepositions and interjections.

Know how to use the following punctuation:

End punctuation: full stop, question mark or exclamation mark

Comma: between city and country in an address, in a series, after yes and no, before conjunctions that combine sentences, inside speech marks in dialogue.

Apostrophe: in contractions, in singular and plural possessive nouns

Quotation marks: for titles of poems, songs, short stories and magazine articles.

Speech marks for dialogue/direct speech

Understand what synonyms and antonyms are, and provide synonyms and antonyms for given words.

Use underlining or italics for the titles of books.

Know what prefixes and suffixes are and how they affect word meaning (see below).

Prefixes
im, in (as in ‘impossible’, ‘incorrect’)
non (as in ‘non-fiction’, ‘non-violent’)
mis (as is ‘misbehave’, ‘misspell’)
en (as in ‘enable’, ‘endanger’)
pre (as in ‘prehistoric’, ‘premature’)

Suffixes
ily, y (as in ‘easily’, ‘speedily’, ‘tricky’)
ful (as in ‘thoughtful’, ‘wonderful’)
able, ible (as in ‘washable’, ‘flexible’)
ment (as in ‘agreement’, ‘amazement’)

Review correct usage of problematic homophones
There, their, they’re
Your, you’re
Its, it’s
Here, hear
To, too, two

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 12:08 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

What about gurgle?

antonym: noun: a word opposite in meaning to another (e.g., bad and good).

How is 'gurgle' the opposite of 'sizzle''? How is anything the opposite of 'sizzle'? Sizzle is an onomatopeic word for e.g. the sound made some frying foods. You might as well ask for the 'opposite' of 'bang' or 'creak'. Some words just plain don't have opposites.

izzythepush

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 12:15 pm
@contrex,
I did read all the posts on this thread prior to posting. I know gurgle isn't a direct antonym of sizzle, but it does give a sense of difference.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 01:39 pm
The formatting didn't copy over:

Identify the subject and predicate in single-clause sentences.

For example (subject is in bold and predicate is in italics): Anna scored a goal.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 01:49 pm
@contrex,
You don't have to stick just to one meaning of a word: Sizzle can also be the quality of being exciting, hot and new. Fashion uses sizzle that way, so do Broadway reviewers, in the same way they use the word "pop" to mean 'something that makes something else stand out".

I like it as well to describe a mood or atmosphere.

Emily was the worst person in the world to invite to a party, she could take a room from sizzle to moribund in the space of three sentences.

Not much use for Fourth Graders, but still.... .

Joe(But, yes, I agreed, some words have no opposites.)Nation

contrex

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 01:55 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Sizzle can also be the quality of being exciting, hot and new. I like it as well to describe a mood or atmosphere.

... sizzle to moribund

But these are decidedly slangy, specialized, or non-standard usages, and as you say, not really 4th grade territory.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 02:29 pm
@contrex,
this is the bit that I think is a bit much for 4th grade

contrex wrote:
those who actually think about what an antonym is, and what kind of words can have one, and make a reasoned case for sizzle not being capable of having an antonym.

particularly "the reasoned case for sizzle not being capable of having an antonym"

~~~~

no teacher is going to have the time to read 30 or 40 reasoned cases for sizzle not having an antonym (in the 20 - 30 minutes they'll have to look at one night's homework from one class)

contrex

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 02:51 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
no teacher is going to have the time to read 30 or 40 reasoned cases for sizzle not having an antonym (in the 20 - 30 minutes they'll have to look at one night's homework from one class)

It's a wild card. They are not going to get 30 or 40. They are going to get 29 or 39 "Uh, I can't find an antonym" answers, and if they are lucky, one "Sizzle can't have an antonym". I thought my previous posts made that clear. Since I am certain that sizzle cannot have an antonym, at 4th grade dictionary-word level, then I wonder why you think the word was included.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 02:59 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
I wonder why you think the word was included.

I'm going with boomer's response

boomerang wrote:
Turns out it was "Oh ha-ha that's a mistake I try to remember to correct every year."
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 04:10 pm
@djjd62,
Your a smartass Didge. If I had one of those I would have used it. The online stuff makes you download something. I don't want to muck up my new computer. Anyway...it's fine. I freak out over the goofiest things these days.

((Didge))
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 04:13 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
just for that, I will take myself out of consideration.

hurry up...

You know you weren't in the running, right? Razz Wink

I did it. Soz agreed with me - and though fizzle seems good enough - chill seemed to cover the bases.

Thanks!
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 04:17 pm
@boomerang,

I
Quote:
so totally get the tempest in a teapot syndrome!

Mo sometimes came home with homework and I'd be all WTH is that all about?

I remember one time he had this crossword puzzle to do. I'm really, really good at crossword puzzles. There was one question that had a obvious answer but it didn't fit. He spent forever rereading and trying to find a word that would work, frustrated and in tears. Finally I just told him to fill in the boxes with question marks.

Turns out it was "Oh ha-ha that's a mistake I try to remember to correct ever year

Sometimes I do just over shoot. Smile Teachers are very instructive at our school. He would have gotten a gentle correction - no big deal. I was just a woman on a mission. Razz

Thanks so much for your suggestion Boomer....huge help!
0 Replies