Letting hair go gray after coloring

chai2

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 06:04 pm
Not thinking of doing it right now....maybe starting on my 55th birthday, a little over a year from now.

I always thought I would never do it, as I never thought the gray would go with my skin tone.

Also, the growing out, looking old....whenever I first color my hair I look at myself and think "you look good, i.e. younger (not young, just like refreshed younger)

I'm thinking of trying on a gray wig, to see how I look. I think I would also go to someone who specializes in color, and get lowlights. Don't know much about that process, but anything to lessen the shock of transition.

I'd also have to make a visit to the woman who did the permanent makeup for my eyebrows, and have her make them browner, or more natural to my original color, as she did them toward the dark red family, which is how I do my hair (mostly brown, with a little red mixed in)

I hate it when I see women walking around with 2-3 inches of roots. Tres tacky. Also some women look great with gray hair, but some look dowdy and tired. Maybe that has to do with the cut.

I'm not sure how I would emotionally feel about being gray. We've all got our vanity hot spots, and mine is my hair.

Who here has done it? How did you transition, and how did you feel about it?

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 06:54 pm
Do you have the coloring to go gray? I think you have to be a "Winter" type.

If you go gray, then be sure it's a light and sparkly gray. I hate dull, straw looking gray. And get a good, short cut. The reddish eyebrows will have to go.

I have always wanted the look that Jamie Lee Curtis had, but she has let it grow out and does not look as snappy or sexy.
chai2

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 06:59 pm
@PUNKEY,
I hate jamie lee curtis and would punch her in the face if I saw her.

screw her and her "i eat this so I can make poopies" yogurt.
chai2

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 07:00 pm
@chai2,
not to be harsh or anything....
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 07:02 pm
Still . . . she had a great haircut and color going.
chai2

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 07:07 pm
@PUNKEY,
I hate her hair and her smug face.
she's so full of herself it isn't even funny

If I let my hair go gray and had to look like this, I'd punch myself in the face, and it'd be an improvement.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTc2ODc3NDcwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzI2MjY4Mg@@._V1._SY314_CR7,0,214,314_.jpg
chai2

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 07:12 pm
@chai2,
I just pooped!

http://o.aolcdn.com/photo-hub/C445760BCF1B7C714A914E06783818AC74089C36/GYI0059270841_LR1.jpg
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 07:16 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I hate jamie lee curtis and would punch her in the face if I saw her.

screw her and her "i eat this so I can make poopies" yogurt.

I just peed my pants.

That was hilarious.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 08:06 am
@chai2,
You better stick with your current color then - I'd hate to see you punch yourself and your smug smile in the face.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 08:23 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
as I never thought the gray would go with my skin tone.

that's key as our skin /skin tone changes as we age

I've changed the colours I use for my hair - much less bright and brilliant than I used to use. I'm using a medium champagne blonde now. I still find it odd - it's pretty dang neutral for me but brilliant red is harder to carry off now (and the roots show like crazy). I'm working on discreetly convincing a friend that she needs to go for less vivid colours now that she is in her early 60's and her skin tone just looks bad against bright hair colours (I'm not saying it like that).

I don't think I could carry off Jamie Lee Curtis' short do anymore, but I absolutely loved the way it looked on her. I think she's been a strikingly attractive woman all through her career. If someone can (and is willing to) carry off short grey hair, she's a good model for it.

If more of my hair was grey, I'd let it all go. It's just not evenly grey. I let it go a bit more than normal recently to see where I was - it's kind of splotchy grey/strawberry blonde/blonde - not good. My mother's hair went a wonderful cottony white by the time she was my age - I'd love that, but creating that would be too much work. Funny, she didn't like it and used a pale pale Scandinavian blonde colour for decades.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 08:35 am
@chai2,
I'm going to text that little bitch Anthony about this thread for his input. But beware, you may start dying it purple, he's an odd ball!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 08:41 am
Mine is dowdy brown with silver streaks and all that sort of goes with my dowdy face, fitting for my age. I'm pretty glad about the silver.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 08:51 am
@chai2,
It's hard to say without seeing your natural colouring and skin tone as it is presently. I agree that those blocks of roots some women have look terrible and that's just down to laziness I reckon.

I think if you decide to let your grey come through, the best idea would be to do it slowly and gradually with very fine highlights that have an ash or cool tone woven through the areas where your greys would naturally come through most (usually around the hairline and back towards the crown). As your hair grows, have regular trims an add a few more highlights every three months or so).

Whatever you do, don't experiment with home colouring. Go to a decent salon and ask for a consultation. I'm sure you will know soon enough if the colourist knows what they are talking about. They should be able to suggest what will work best for your hair type and skin tone (including eye colour and eyebrows!).
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 12:51 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I hate her hair and her smug face.
she's so full of herself it isn't even funny

Anything But Love (TV Series 1989–1992) was funny. Surprised
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 12:55 pm
Quote:

I'm not sure how I would emotionally feel about being gray. We've all got our vanity hot spots, and mine is my hair.

Starting in ditto mode on that front.
Quote:
Letting hair go gray after coloring

((cough cough)) Embarrassed I'm seriously thinking of starting down the other direction. Embarrassed ((cough cough))
ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 01:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
My vanity is my brain, such as it is. Sometimes it glistens and sometimes it's a basin of cracked mud. It sleeps in lectures, it eats words on pages, draws me fabulous picture even as I sleep, reminds me of music past and present when I'm awake.

My face is now wizened - shewolf was right about that back in 2008. My hair has the silver swaths in places (ooooh, channelling Sontag, but I never did understand her, just liked the gravitas, figured I'd read her sometime when I felt like it and never have or only got to an article's first paragraph, and really liked her hair).

I like what I know of Jamie Lee Curtis. I think I like who she married.

I get hair play. I've always liked mine more or less as is, except back when I couldn't get it to go straight without an iron, or, egads, straightener, in the sixties. Boy, did that piss off my mother.

Have fun with it if you start to play, Tsar.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 01:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Sontag -

http://www.susansontag.com/SusanSontag/images/susanBioImage01.jpg
http://i2.listal.com/image/1057054/600full-susan-sontag.jpg

Mine are either more natural or more discrete in nature.

https://en.gravatar.com/userimage/4743244/d36c07bd943d547ac88790caecfda21f.jpg?size=200
Me by Mrs. Cowdoc (or was it Mister?)

0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 02:02 pm
@chai2,
Chai, I think you're going to have to plan your hair color around your eyebrows. Hair color is variable; your tattooed eyebrows aren't.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 02:51 pm
I did the wig thing and nearly passed out when I saw my Great Grandma Lina staring back at me in the mirror. I've gone lighter as I've gotten older, but gray is not happening on this head until the Zombie Apocalypse and I run out of my stockpile of Clariol. If I live long enough, I might be buried as a blonde.
Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 02:57 pm
@Green Witch,
Instead of "dying my hair" as I also don't like that half one color half another look - I get highlights - it hides the grey/white and makes it simply look as if I've been out in the sun.
0 Replies