How to pronounce €1? Euro one?

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 09:16 pm

Context:

The GM industry has traditionally reacted furiously and personally. Séralini has been widely insulted and smeared and last year, in some desperation, he sued Marc Fellous, president of the French Association of Plant Biotechnology, for defamation, and won (although he was only awarded a nominal €1 in damages).

But last week, Seralini brought the whole scientific and corporate establishment crashing down on his head. In a peer-reviewed US journal, Food and Chemical Toxicology, he reported the results of a €3.2m study. Fed a diet of Monsanto's Roundup-tolerant GM maize NK603 for two years, or exposed to Roundup over the same period, rats developed higher levels of cancers and died earlier than controls. Séralini suggested that the results could be explained by the endocrine-disrupting effects of Roundup, and overexpression of the transgene in the GMO.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,555 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 09:24 pm
@oristarA,
One Euro, one hundred Euro, one thousand Euro.
oristarA

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 09:44 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

One Euro, one hundred Euro, one thousand Euro.

One Euro in this case?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 09:33 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
(although he was only awarded a nominal €1 in damages).

(although he was only awarded a nominal one euro in damages).

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 09:36 am
Quote:

Several linguistic issues have arisen in relation to the spelling of the words euro and cent in the many languages of the member states of the European Union, as well as in relation to grammar and the formation of plurals.

In official documents, the name "euro" must be used for the nominative singular in all languages, though different alphabets are taken into account and plural forms and declensions are accepted. In documents other than EU legal texts, including national legislation, other spellings are accepted according to the various grammatical rules of the respective language.[1][2][3] For European Union legislation, the spelling of the words for the currency is prescribed for each language; in the English-language version of European Union legislation the forms "euro" and "cent" are used invariantly in the singular and plural, even though this departs from usual English practice for currencies.[4]

In Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the USA
Common usage in the rest of the English-speaking world, where the euro is not the local currency, has not standardised on the form of plural. The media in the UK prefer euros and cents as the plural forms while American media sources usually follow the lead of the EU and Irish in using euro.[35][not in citation given] Broadcasts of currency exchange rates outside of the European Union tend to use the plural in -s, with NPR in the United States and CBC in Canada being two examples.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_issues_concerning_the_euro#English
Ceili

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 10:04 am
@JTT,
I did not know that. Interesting being the exception.
I guess I'll have to pay the BBC more attention.

Ori, I had though Euro was both singular and plural, that how we say it here. Sorry for the confusion. When using currency, it's a bit of an anomaly in the English language, even though the Euro or dollar sign comes before the amount, you always say the amount before the denomination. In other words, both $ and Є are always written first, but said last. So, If I worte that I owe you Є 20.00 or $ 20.00, I would say I owe you 20 Euro/s or 20 dollars. Make sense?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 12:08 pm
In French, Spanish and Catalan (that I know of) they write euro (singular) euros (plural); in Italian it's euro for both; in Ireland, when the euro was being adopted the Department of Finance decided to use the word euro as both the singular and plural forms of the currency, and print and broadcast media follwed suit. This convention has been called the "legislative plural". In British English the -s plural is used.

The European Union official practice for English-language EU legislation (not necessarily in national legislation) is to use the words euro and cent as both singular and plural. However the Directorate-General for Translation now recommends that the regular plurals, euros and cents, be used.

The European Commission Directorate-General for Translation's English Style Guide (a handbook for authors and translators in the European Commission) previously recommended the use of legislative plurals for documents intended for the general public but now has no restriction on usage and states:

"Like ‘pound’, ‘dollar’ or any other currency name in English, the word ‘euro’ is written in lower case with no initial capital. Where appropriate, it takes the plural ‘s’ (as does ‘cent’): This book costs ten euros and fifty cents"

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 12:31 pm
@contrex,
In most ("Euro"-) countries, the amount is written before the Eurosign = 1€. (In Germany, France, Austria etc, this was the same with the former currencies.) The plural of 'Euro' is "Euros" in German... but it's "10 Euro".
Quote:
In documents other than EU legal texts, including national legislation, other spellings are accepted according to the various grammatical rules used in each language.
European Commission
JTT

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 12:47 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
In most ("Euro"-) countries, the amount is written before the Eurosign = 1€. (In Germany, France, Austria etc, this was the same with the former currencies.)

Is this followed for all currencies, Walter? 10$

What of speech?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 01:06 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

What of speech?
I really don't know the use of the dollar sign $ (in French and) German - in printed media, it's (always) written e.g. "100 Dollar" in German or "100 dollar" in French. Spoken the same.
contrex

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 01:11 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

There is often a space after the figures, and the currency unit/cent separator would be a comma. Amounts of less than one currency unit usually have a zero before the commas: en 2010 à la mi-février le taux de change euro/dollar s'établit à 1 € = 1,36 $ and Umrechnungfaktoren: 1 DM = 0,51129 €.

Quote:
What of speech?

In speech, you would use the appropriate word or phrase for the amount, dieci, trenta, einundvierzig, quatre-vingts-dix-neuf, and then the name of the currency, singular or plural as appropriate, and then any cents. For $10.50 a French person could say "dix dollars cinquante", or "dix dollars cinquante des États-Unis" or "dix dollars cinquante américains" or "dix cinquante dollars US" or "dix USD cinquante". (You also have dollars canadiens, australiens, etc.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 01:19 pm
@contrex,
I just noticed that the plural of Dollar is in German "Dollars". I suppose that I don't use it because -like with the Euro (see above)- it's "30 Dollar", without the plural 's'.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 01:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks to you both, Walter and Contrex.
contrex

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 01:54 pm
@JTT,
Italy puts the currency sign first... the crossed L for lira/lire kind of surprised me the first few times I saw it - it's the same as the British pound (libra) sign. Two thousand quid for a packet of fags!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dUZb_jUqX0U/UFB8kK4ayeI/AAAAAAAAAeY/qmAK9UVdZVQ/s320/422807_280937688672870_330118511_n.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 02:10 pm
Very interesting... thanks!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 02:18 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Two thousand quid for a packet of fags!

Some fellas might consider that a bargain.
Ceili

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 03:00 pm
Thanks, this has all been very interesting. I should premise that when I say we, I mean Canadians, and by Canadians I mean, most of the english speaking ones, I can't really speak for the east coasters, as they have unique ways for saying just about everything.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 03:03 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Two thousand quid for a packet of fags!

Some fellas might consider that a bargain.

I know some people say God hates fags, but I saw an elderly nun smoking one on Nice station, and heard her say "putain" on her mobile phone after she found there wasn't anyone to meet her. You should have seen people's faces.
0 Replies