When Doctors Tell Patients They Shouldn't Drive

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:15 pm
I have not been able to drive since May this year due to my knee surgeries . I began driving again this September---only when my doctor told me I was OK to drive again. Butrflynet restored my car's power again and I renewed my driving card approval. I was safe to drive Dolly and Madison doggies to our nearby park. I even drove to the grocery store. BBB

When Doctors Tell Patients They Shouldn't Drive
by Scott Hensley - NPR
September 27, 2012

Fire department personnel, police officers and paramedics at the scene of a fatal collision on Highway 401 in Mississauga, Ontario, in July 2011.

In Ontario, doctors get paid $36.25 each time they warn patients who might be unfit to drive and report them to the provincial transportation department.

Which conditions might pose hazards behind the wheel? There's a checklist on the Ontario report form that offers some of the more common conditions, including alcohol dependence, seizures, dementia and uncontrolled narcolepsy.

So does telling people they're not fit to drive help prevent accidents? It looks plausible, according to results of a study in the latest New England Journal of Medicine.

Researchers at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre found a 45 percent drop in the annual rate of accidents for patients after doctors warned them. The accident rate fell to about 2.73 accidents annually per 1,000 patients from 4.76 annually during a three-year period before the warnings.

There was a downside. The researchers found a significant uptick in treatment for depression in emergency rooms for patients after the warnings. Patients' visits to the doctors who warned them also fell off, suggesting the warning hurt the therapeutic relationship.

The researchers were able to match medical and driving records and follow the patients for years. But the researchers didn't arrange for doctors to randomly give some people warnings and others none. That meant the researchers can't absolutely prove the warnings were responsible for the drop in accidents.

Still, the study concludes that "the reduction in risk was immediate, substantial, and sustained...." And the observed decline in accidents was hard to explain otherwise. "Together, these data suggest that warning patients who are medically unfit to drive may reduce the risk of road crashes," they wrote.

Payment of doctors to warn and report unfit drivers increases the likelihood that will happen. But the study suggests the warnings were linked to a real increase in depression and harm to the doctor–patient relationship, the researchers concluded, while still not reducing driving risks to the same level as the population at large.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,486 • Replies: 15
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:43 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
It's hard on both sides when that notice is given. Doctors don't like to do it, patients hate getting the news.

A friend has just been told by her mother's doctor that the doctor will be telling M. that her license is going to be pulled shortly. Right now, she's working on limiting how much her mother drives so it won't be a big change in how her mother lives. She's trying to get her used to having other people drive and using cabs. Not easy.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 01:03 pm
@ehBeth,
smoky can't drive anymore.

I haven't told him yet.

but it's official now.

and a good idea...
roger

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 01:46 pm
@Rockhead,
What you do in a case like that is get down to the dealer and pick up a key identical to the one he uses, but cut for a different lock. It won't work, and maybe you can mess around and admit you've finally found a mechanical problem you can't fix. Maybe he'll quit trying after a while.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 01:50 pm
@roger,
I took a grinder to his key when he was sleeping.

I was so smart.

he went back inside and produced another one that worked...

(I bet he has some more)

so I pulled a tire valve core and told him my tire machine was broken.

old folks are sneaky...
Rockhead

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 01:53 pm
when the sheriffs came to get me to drive him home the last time, they filed for a review on his license.

he has to go pass a full driving test to drive now.

he can do that if pigs fly...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 01:58 pm
@Rockhead,
We've had lots of experience.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 02:01 pm
@roger,
it's hard to out sneaky me, I'm half feral...

he's in protective custody right now. and he's quitting smoking, but doesn't realize it yet.

I've found that taking care of older folks is a lot like raising kids. except they swear more...

takes a lotto patience.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 02:14 pm
When I was 16 I found out that my father should have handed in his license because of epilepsy, but had chosen not to and driven me and my kid sister illegally for years. I never let him drive me after that. He admitted years later he should not have driven.

0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 02:19 pm
since i live in a seniors' residence , i'm acutely aware of the problem ... ...

DR : " you can't drive any more , mr. senior , i have to report you and your license will be withdrawn . "
SENIOR : " but i've never had an accident BEFORE , so why do you have to report me ? "

and so it goes , over and over again ... ...
...................................................................................

of course , some seniors are sneaky creatures ( and so or others ) :
THEY BUY AN ELECTRIC SCOOTER - no license required , no insurance -
" well of course not , i'm a safe ( SENIOR ) driver ! " .

bernie is a good example , he has a good -sized electric scooter ( more like a wheel-chair ) .
he flies his RED FLAG Shocked and zooms off at a good clip all the way to walmart - " it's only three miles he says " ( but it's more like five ) .

" bernie , it's getting dark " , i tell him .
" oh , my eyesight is not THAT BAD " , he answers .
..........................................................................................

of course , it's easy for me to talk ; i still have my license .
who knows , what i'll do when i loose mine - NEVER , NEVER , NEVER !!!

Drunk

roger

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 03:29 pm
@hamburgboy,
hamburgboy wrote:

DR : " you can't drive any more , mr. senior , i have to report you and your license will be withdrawn . "
SENIOR : " but i've never had an accident BEFORE , so why do you have to report me ? "

You have to admit, it does sound like being punished for something you didn't do. Those decisions are probably based on some statistical analysis. The same could be used to lock up all males. Just look at the statistics on who commits the overwhelming majority of forceable rapes.
Mame

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 03:36 pm
They were discussing this on the news this morning here in Calgary. I think it's a good idea, but there are better ones out there. Why not have everyone over 80 submit do a short driving test each year? If they fail, they lose it. I'm more concerned with their reaction time than anything else. This way they still have their patient-doctor relationship and they can give the $36 to the govt. They can use the $36 to add more Handy-dart vehicles to the fleet. We have over 118,000 seniors in Calgary - that's $4,248,000 per year, every year. Lots of Handy-darts... safer for everyone.

Zeke

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 03:37 pm
@roger,
Ya it's not our fault that the body grows old.
Damn you trees. Damn you oxygen, why do you have to reduce our life span by your redox reactions?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 03:39 pm
@Mame,
this wasn't a problem back in the day.

when you fell off your horse and couldn't get back on, you were done driving...

things were so much simpler back then.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 04:21 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
They can use the $36 to add more Handy-dart vehicles to the fleet. We have over 118,000 seniors in Calgary - that's $4,248,000 per year, every year.

In Ontario, the notice is normally issued only once - not annually. Not a lot of people manage to get their license reinstated though it does happen occasionally.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 09:51 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

It's hard on both sides when that notice is given. Doctors don't like to do it, patients hate getting the news.

I'm listening to a repeat broadcast of White Coat Black Art that includes the driver's license issue from the docto/patient/family member perspectives.

I think the article and podcast are difficult but important reads/listens.

http://www.cbc.ca/whitecoat/blog/2011/02/18/wandering-show-and-a-personal-reflection/

Quote:
Wandering Show and a Personal Reflection

This week's episode of White Coat, Black Art is a quite a departure from my usual routine. My mission on the show is to give you a picture of health care from my side of the gurney. But this week, I'm doing something quite different. I'm giving you my perspective - not so much as a doctor - but as a son. Every five minutes, someone in Canada is diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. My mother taught me how to look past the almost ghostly presence of patients with Alzheimer's disease. Too bad she had to become a patient herself for her doctor-son to finally learn. On this week's show, I tell you what happened the day my mother wandered from home. And, we share painful stories you told us.

I'm a fan of Dr. Goldman.
0 Replies