Stephen Harper et al. are "buffoons"

caprice

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 06:50 pm
Ah yes, yet another example of Canadian politicians at their finest. *tongue planted firmly in cheek* And the little tidbit at the end gives me cause to despise Paul Martin even more than I already do.

Quote:

February 27, 2004
Harper apologizes for letter
By SUE BAILEY

OTTAWA (CP) - Christopher Columbus mistook aboriginals for East Indians but Conservative leadership hopeful Stephen Harper should know better, says a furious native leader.

Harper's office drafted a letter of apology Thursday to the Ontario Federation of Indian Friendship Centres after wishing its members a happy India Republic Day.

"This is 2004, Mr. Harper, not 1492 - the last time a man got lost looking for India," wrote federation president Rick Lobzun in a letter dated Wednesday.

"Look what has happened to the aboriginal population . . . since then."

India Republic Day each Jan. 26 marks the day in 1950 when India's constitution took effect, cementing its independence from British rule. It is a major annual celebration that heralds the sacrifices of Mahatma Gandhi and other freedom crusaders.

It has nothing to do with aboriginals in Canada.

Although the federation took almost a month to respond, Lobzun wrote to express his "shock and outrage."

"It is shameful, Mr. Harper, that you as a potential leader in this country choose such off-hand forms of communication which make you guilty of possessing a poor briefing staff at best and racist approaches to policy at worst."

Speaking to reporters after a rally Thursday evening in Toronto, Harper repeatedly blamed the gaffe on a "clerical error."

"Somebody put it in the wrong list and obviously somebody mistook Indo-Canadian for Indian," he said.

"It's a minor clerical error."

On House of Commons letterhead dated Jan. 26, Harper extended his greetings to the federation "on behalf of the Official Opposition in Canada's Parliament.

"As you partake in cultural festivities and events, which honour your ancestors and celebrate your heritage, I am pleased to pay tribute to the members of the Indian community in Canada. I salute you for your important and long-standing contributions to the economic and cultural vitality of our wonderful country, and offer you my best wishes for the year ahead."

Lobzun's response dripped sarcasm.

"As aboriginal people, hope is rapidly fading that we will be able to make 'important and long-standing contributions to the economic . . . vitality of our wonderful country'," he wrote.

"Facing barriers such as grinding levels of poverty, high teen suicide rates, low levels of education attainment and poor labour market participation rates, aboriginal people find it difficult to be successful. . . ."

The former Canadian Alliance, once headed by Harper and now part of the new Conservative party, angered many native people with its stance against the pivotal Nisga'a land claim in British Columbia. It also stirred resentment with arguments against what it called "race-based" treaty privileges for aboriginal people.

The latest gaffe highlights an old pattern, said New Democrat MP Pat Martin, critic for aboriginal issues.

"What a bunch of buffoons," he said. "This type of Freudian slip is just an indication of the esteem in which they hold aboriginal people."

Conservative organizers were also on the defensive Thursday for a radio attack ad on the Liberals that some say is an offensive mockery of Barbadians.

The ad, which was expected to run in March, is narrated by a man with a mellow Caribbean accent who refers to tax breaks enjoyed in the Barbados by "Mr. Paul" - Prime Minister Paul Martin.

"There is a group of Canadians that should be insulted," said interim Conservative Leader Grant Hill, in defence of the ad. "And those are the individuals that have paid the taxes that our prime minister has managed to (avoid) offshore. . . ."

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 868 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 12:43 pm
Nice to know there are idiotic North American politicans besides the ones running the US right now!
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 12:50 pm
Of course D'artagnan! There are buffoons aplenty in Canadian politics. I don't even know how some maintain their positions! Like Gordon Campbell for instance. Have you heard of his incidence of buffoonery?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 01:33 pm
No--please share, caprice!
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 03:15 pm
Oh my! This guy. Rolling Eyes Gordon Campbell is the premier of the province of British Columbia in Canada. Somewhat equivalent to a governor of a state.

Anyhow, a little over a year ago, he was in Hawai`i (island of Maui) on vacation and was stopped by the police for speeding, going 70 mph in a 45 mph zone. So speeding isn't bad enough. He blew 0.161 on a breathalyzer test to boot. Yet he is still in office. To top it off, he's quite the hypocrite too. In the past, he's called for other British Columbia politicians to resign during their "possible" connection to a conflict of interest scandal. Yet Campbell admitted he was driving under the influence, leaving no room for possibilities, and he figures it's okay to stay in office? It's bad enough he's an idiot. A hypocrite on top of it all makes the guy descpicable.

The following link gives you part of the pathetic story. (It also makes reference to Ralph Klein, the illustrious premier of the province I live in. Apparently during one night when he was loaded, he visited a homeless shelter and told everyone to "get a job". Yeah, he's still in office too. *shakes head*)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/features/campbell_gordon.html

You can see Gordon Campbell's mug shots here as well as links to a variety of different news sites with articles about the story. What a tool, he's smiling for his mug shots!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 04:36 pm
Gee, sounds like a heck of a lot of corruption and bad behavior up there! We (here in Washington) tend to think of Canada, and BC in particular, as progressive--marijuana tolerance, for one thing. So this kind of mischief is a bit surprising.

Our local politicians (at least in the Northwest) tend to be boring, but relatively honest...
0 Replies