Very Small Life Pleasures

aspvenom

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 05:29 pm
When my two year old niece, whom I don't get to see often, clasps my hand tightly in complete trust and love while taking a stroll to get to the park.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 05:44 pm
@Roberta,
Back in '86, i worked at an environmental center in the woods, on the shores of a lake in a wildlife refuge. Some people i know in town kept insisting that we go out and look at Halley's comet. They were city folk from Chicago. I kept tellin' 'em it would be a wasted effort, but they insisted. So, finally, we drove out there one night, drove over to a campsite by the lake, and walked down to the shore . . .

. . . where you could see thousands and thousands of stars. I had trouble finding the comet myself, and they were mostly silent. I suspect they had never seen so many stars in their own lives.
Rockhead

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 11:41 pm
not sure why this thread is off kilter, but...

bump
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 1 Oct, 2012 12:00 am
dense but soft crusty bread and heaps of good butter

spooning

shampooing in the shower with the perfect shampoo and the water just right
0 Replies

margo

Mon 1 Oct, 2012 02:45 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I suspect they had never seen so many stars in their own lives.

Yes - stars, away from light pollution, are just amazing. When I ran away to sea, that was the most exciting thing!
Setanta

Mon 1 Oct, 2012 04:25 am
@margo,
Wait, wait, wait . . . you ran away to sea? Start a thread, tell us all about it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 1 Oct, 2012 04:39 am
I recall how much brighter the stars seemed back in the 1940s. But, these days, I rarely spend any nights in the deep country.
Joe Nation

Mon 1 Oct, 2012 10:00 am
@edgarblythe,
http://timeecocentric.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/lost-in-yosemite-c-033706-c2a9-steven-christenson.jpeg?w=576
0 Replies

roger

Mon 1 Oct, 2012 11:33 am
@edgarblythe,
I could see better 65 years ago, too.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 1 Oct, 2012 11:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think you can still see those brighter stars if you can get out of the city lights. I noticed that the stars were much brighter and in greater number when my wife and I did the national parks and canyons tour last May. We were in open country, and in the dark.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Mon 1 Oct, 2012 11:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
we don't have much here on the farm, but we have some kick-ass stars.

visitors welcome by appointment...
0 Replies

Foofie

Tue 2 Oct, 2012 10:26 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Often in the evenings, the little dog girl will come to me with a smile on her face. She's almost blind and stumbles or bumps into things all the time. She has other problems with her eyes, and her hearing is going. Her sniffer no longer works well; if you give her a treat, you have to hold it under her nose so that she knows it's there. She's gaunt from weight loss. Most humans as elderly and infirm would spend all day complaining.

But she just wants to tell me life is good. So i rub her ears and tell her she's a good girl.

In my opinion, she believes that "life is good," living with Setanta. No need to be modest.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Tue 2 Oct, 2012 05:37 pm
@Setanta,
She's having a good life. We all thank you, Set Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 12 Oct, 2012 05:34 am
This morning as i took the trash to the kerb, a thin sliver of crescent moon was rising side-by-side with Venus, just above the first pink-orange glow of the dawn. These things get my day off to a cheerful start.
0 Replies

jespah

Fri 12 Oct, 2012 06:25 am
The first bite into the PBJ.
Roberta

Fri 12 Oct, 2012 08:45 am
@jespah,
Set, I'm usually up at dawn, but I don't see the sky. Enjoy it.

jes, I'm not a PBJ fan, but I can certainly relate to the pleasure of that first bite of something delish.
0 Replies

Mame

Fri 12 Oct, 2012 08:47 am
Realizing a favourite author has written a new book.

Enjoying a meal with friends.

Coming home after a trip.

The first spray of hot water in the shower.

Looking at your freshly mown lawn.
ossobuco

Fri 12 Oct, 2012 11:46 am
@Mame,
Finding a pair of earrings I'd completely forgotten about in a rain/windbreaker I rarely if ever wear. It's too big and it doesn't rain here much, and for wind I have other items to ward off the wind ides of March or the sometime snow flurries of December. What's good about the windbreaker is that it is very lightweight and can be rolled up in a ball with no discernible effect, so it stays on, year in, year out, on a closet hook.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Sat 13 Oct, 2012 07:51 am
Lighting the first fire in months and cooking breakfast over it.
George

Sat 13 Oct, 2012 09:30 am
@Green Witch,
That sounds cool.
I can't remember the last time I cooked anything over a fire.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 07:08:05