Need your opinion

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:53 am
(1)The rocket, intended to carry up man-made satellites ...
The wine, intended to be drunk after a meal ...
Her second son, intended to join the army ...

The sentences above, actually mean "the subject was intended to ...", so we cannot use "intending" instead of "intended" here.

(2) If someone said "this daughter of yours", he/she intended to appreciate your daughter; but if someone said "that son of yours", his/her manner was in fact disparaging.

(3) If we said "this photo of William's", it sounds intimate, more or less.
But if we said "this photo of William", it sounds neutral, intending no harm, as well as no profit.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 632 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Wy

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 07:24 pm
1. Maybe. Her son, intending to join the army, went to the recruiting office. It depends on who has the intention. If the subject is, then intending is correct. If it's some other will than that of the subject (as it is the maker of the wine who intends it to be drunk after a meal) then intended is the correct word...

2. I don't quite agree, but it's not a very clear distinction to me.

3. This photo of William's is of his cat. This photo of William belongs to his sister.
Neither one sounds intimate to me...
0 Replies

Eos

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 07:26 pm
1) Correct. The rocket and the wine are mindless things and cannot intend anything.
It is possible to say 'Her second son intended to go into the army', but that's different from 'Her second son, intended to go into the army,...' which means that it's someone else's intention that the son go into the army.

In grammatical terms, this is called 'standing in apposition', as in the sentence 'Robert, my father, went to the store' - in which 'Robert' and 'my father' are clearly the same person - I'm just explaining that the Robert who went to the store is my father Robert.

(2)No. 'That X of yours' is usually negative, though the degree of negative feeling is variable. 'This X of yours' may be negative, but if the person in question is within hearing, it is unlikely that it will be negative at all - in fact this would be very bad manners. How negative or positive either one actually is depends on tone of voice, body language, and situation.

(3) No. 'This photo of William's' means that the photo belongs to William (and we do not know what the photo depicts) 'This photo of William' means that the photo depicts William (and we do no know to whom it belongs).
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 08:44 pm
Thanks Wy and Eos, I've got inspired by your explanations.

Another question:

Stress is a signal that something needs to change.

Why don't we use "needs to be changed" or "needs changing" instead of "needs to change"?

And, is the sentence below grammatically correct?

The camera needs mending (or "the camera needs to be mended").
0 Replies

Eos

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:57 pm
Change is a verb that we often use in the active when we really mean the passive, when we're speaking colloquially. Just one of those funny things about English.

Both 'The camera needs mending' and 'the camera needs to be mended' are technically correct. The construction -'needs' plus a gerund- and the word 'mend' are most commonly heard in British English. Americans would say, 'needs to be fixed'.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 08:06 am
Thanks Eos. Very Happy

Could someone explain this a bit further?
0 Replies