Friends of Bill Wilson? enter here

steissd

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:24 am
Ah, this is the A2K user BillW?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 12:46 pm
streissed BillW is one of the founders of Alcoholics Anonymous known as AA. AA a group of people who are dedicated to recovering from alcolholism and helping each other stay sober using a specific program. Our BillW has the same name but the founder BillW of AA is deceased.

Often because of the stigma attached to drinking to much or uncontrolably people in recovery through the AA program just refer to themselves as being friends of BillW or Dr. Bob another man who founded the program.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:04 pm
Thanks for explanation. Well, I am not a friend of BillW then. I have never abused alcohol, so I have never required any treatment. It takes me 3-4 years to drink 0.75 liters of cognac...
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:15 pm
How nice steissd, but some folks are not so lucky. By the why WELCOME to A2k.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:19 pm
Lucky? Hmm... Unlike Down's syndrome or myasthenia, alcoholism is a disease that people deliberately cause to themselves. In most cases no one forces them to drink booze.
Thanks for welcoming my entrance to the A2K.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:31 pm
steissd- Alcoholism IS a disease. There are many people who are heavy drinkers, but not alcoholics. Conversely, many alcoholics do not need to drink a lot to become inebriated.I think that it might be valuable for your own edification to read up on some studies and medical articles on alcoholism, not the popular literature.

It is my understanding that this thread was intended to be a safe place for AAers to share, and support one another in their quest for permanent sobriety. The intent of this thread was not debate. The expectation of this Forum is that the purpose of this thread be respected. Thank you for your cooperation.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:31 pm
Please do become educated in alcohol abuse steissd,

Herbert Spencer addresses this issue directly, "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

About A.A.

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for AA membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. AA is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

There is but one requirement and that requirement is a desire to stop drinking.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:52 pm
I guess, I was largely misunderstood. I have never denied that alcoholism was a disease -- it is a physical dependence, a condition similar to nicotine or narcotic drugs addictions. And I highly value efforts of people that make an attempt to give up their drinking habits and to return to normal life, I wish them complete success, and I did not intend to insult anyone of them.
I meant that development of such a condition depends on behavior of patient prior to his/her becoming an alcoholic. It is impossible to develop addiction without being repeatedly exposed to the addictive substance. Unlike heroin, alcohol does not cause addiction immediately, after the first occasion of usage.
I am a nicotine addict myself, and when I realized this I decided to restrict my own alcohol consumption to the extent being much below the normal social drinking (I understood that I was prone to addiction, so I decided to limit my exposure to the addictive substances; for the same reason I have never tried drugs). Such a decision I made at age of 18, and I still keep with it. This, and not any specific luck helped me to prevent development of alcoholism, the health condition being a national disaster in the country I was born in (the former USSR).
Of course, if the person is already an alcoholic, such a tactic will not work. Alcoholism is virtually incurable, and giving up the drinking habits for alcoholics implies complete abstinence. But I meant that teenagers should be completely insulated from the alcoholic drinks -- this will prevent their future friendship with Bill Wilson or Dr. Bob.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 02:01 pm
seaglass, you will never be able to replace your first sponsor. She is someone very special. Please accept my sympathies, I too have lost friends already in this program and those waiting to "arrive". It is the nature of the beast, 34 years is marvelous. Lost Ole John (pronounce that Olllllllllllllle John) a couple of years ago. He had 39 years - it was so neat to sit and hear him talk of the eary days. He was about 90 at his passing. When you think of it, he was pretty old already when he "arrived".

A sponsor does not have to last but as long as you need them or they need you. They can be fired or they can fire you whenever. It does hurt to have someone to talk to - it doesn't have to be everything in your life and it can grow. Keep a list of people from your meetings for a chat, and don't forget that AA is listed in the phone book locally and you can acquire a telephone number from the Internet anytime to anywhere. That phone call will truly be Anonymous!

I talked with a young man at the Treatment Center last night who told me he had 11 months, then bam! He had fired his sponsor, still going to meeting; but no talking to anyone. Cunning, baffeling, powerful - someone to talk to is for those sneaky moments, an immediate intervention.

Take care and be good to thineself!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 02:09 pm
steissd, the only requirement is desire to stop drinking. You say:

"I understood that I was prone to addiction, so I decided to limit my exposure to the addictive substances; for the same reason I have never tried drugs."

Alcohol is a drug, there is much dual addictions in the program. I do not separate the two. It sounds like you are already one of us - you are already a friend of BillW and Doc Bob. Welcome aboard!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 02:33 pm
Thanks, Bill. The problem is that nicotine addiction is much stronger than me...[/i][/size][/color] I smoke for 25 years, and all my attempts to give up smoking or even to decrease nicotine intake dosage failed. I did not pay attention to this problem of mine when I was younger, since tobacco smoking did not (and still does not) affect my working abilities and/or social adaptation. Now, I guess, it is too late to do anything: just to ask Lord to protect me from developing of respiration system cancer or endarteritis obliterans, the diseases that cause death with lot of suffering.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 02:41 pm
steissd, I first smoked cigarettes when I was in 2nd grade. It has been written that marijuana is a gateway drug. My interpretation of the very vague and unthinking comment is: nicotine is the gateway drug, as you have so wonderful described, then alcohol.

I have successfully quite cigarettes 3 times and not smoked for over 7 years now. I have only smoked about 10 years in my lifetime but relapsed 3 times. I have been clean and sober for 11 years 9 months today. I stopped, by the will of God the first time I gave a true attempt. I stay clean and sober 1 day at a time after 25 years of drinking and using. By the Will of God, today will be another.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 02:47 pm
Well, I'm not a AA member, but joined and founded several other ones. 20 years ago in January.

When you want to have a meeting, I would suggest, you use the chatroom - although, it's not that private.
But I'm sure, one of the moderators will shortly contact you.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 10:19 am
DAILY REFLECTION

December 15, 2002

DOING ANYTHING TO HELP

Offer him [the alcoholic] friendship and fellowship. Tell him that if he wants to get well you will do anything to help.
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 95

I remember how attracted I was to the two men from A.A. who Twelfth-Stepped me. They said I could have what they had, with no conditions attached, that all I had to do was make my own decision to join them on the pathway to recovery. When I start convincing a newcomer to do things my way, I forget how helpful those two men were to me in their open-minded generosity
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 01:36 am
friends of bill w
oh dear, I hope our little AA meeting isn't falling apart before if gets off to a good start.

Had a wonderful women's meeting tonight - first half of the meeting was sharing and the last half was a candlelight meditation with one of the ladies reading spritual material.

I for one am getting the Christmas blahs and feeling a little apprehensive about medical stuff that is comming up next week - my significant other
wont be here to nuture and guide me through my fears - but thank God for the love and caring of AA friends and the serenity prayer.

Remember me in your AA prayers on the 23rd.

Seaglass
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 09:55 am
Thanks Seaglass, had a good Monday Night meeting my on self. We discussed promises, and I always like that. My sharing was something like this:

A particular promise that is true to me (even though it isn't one of the promises), if I take the program seriously, maintain a good relationship with my Higher Power, and do the things in my program - such as attending meetings; then, I know every day in AA beats ever day out there - period, no kidding.

Everybody, have a blessed day!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 12:19 pm
Daily Reflections

by A.A. Members for A.A. Members

A PRICELESS REWARD
. . . work with other alcoholics. . . . It works when other activities fail.

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 89

"Life will take on new meaning," as the Big Book says, (p.89). This promise has helped me to avoid self-seeking and self-pity. To watch others grow in this wonderful program, to see them improve the quality of their lives, is a priceless reward for an ongoing recovery, as are serenity, peace and contentment. The energy derived from seeing others on a successful path, of sharing with them the joys of the journey, gives to my life a new meaning.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 03:18 pm
friends of bill w
BW,

Never been to a meeting that was formatted around the promises - sounds like it would make for an interesting sharing. I think that I will suggest it to the ladies for a New Year's meeting. Nice way to go into the New Year.

Thanks for the notion, see if I can put it in motion.

Seaglass
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 03:35 pm
Some meetings end with the promises, we had one once. I love the promises, simply because they are true - for me!

The AA Promises

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.

We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.

We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.

We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.

No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.

That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.

We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.

Self-seeking will slip away.

Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.

Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.

We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.

We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not.

They are being fulfilled among us - sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.

They will always materialize if we work for them.

Alcoholics Anonymous p83-84
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 08:27 pm
*In my home group - we read How It Works, The
Traditions, and The Promises at every meeting ....
it has come to have a very soothing & calming
effect on me. Almost like a Buddhist mantra.
Well SEAGLASS & JOANN??? do you want to have
our own user group??? Others seem to be more
concerned about our anonymity than we are Laughing Laughing
*Jespah told me to ask you all about how you felt
about, or DO you feel anyway about it - one way
or the other???
*I was so glad when I chaired on Tuesday 6:30pm
and the same young man from a week ago was
there again... AND he was not shaking nearly
as bad as the previous week. He is beginning to
sound a little bit sober. THANKS TO AA we are
both sober today!