Edgar Blythe's 2012 September 17th birthday has a history

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2022 08:35 am
Also, I actually am writing a complete autobiography for my family for after I am deceased. Some portions attempt to be literary so far, but it's mostly plain statement of fact at this point. I have multiple motives in the endeavor. I regret not knowing more of my family history and I want my descendants to know as much as I know. Also it is to clarify many issues the family likely does not understand.
hightor

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2022 10:01 am
@edgarblythe,
I just finished Mark Twain's autobiography. It's published in a three huge volumes and is full of historical footnotes on the people and places mentioned. A lot of it consists of writings which he didn't dare see published in his lifetime or that of his contemporaries, so it couldn't be released until a hundred years after his death. It's a bit self-serving in some ways – he gets to tell the story of every event from his point of view, but he was honest about what he was doing. I was surprised at his disdain for Teddy Roosevelt. I'd always thought of him as one of our best presidents – Twain practically paints him as a precursor to Trump.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2022 12:09 pm
@hightor,
I mostly like TR. I think I understand Clemens' ego, but not why he felt so about TR unless jealousy figured.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2022 10:45 am
@edgarblythe,
That's so interesting, and pretty wonderful. I'd have been facinated to read my dad's story
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2022 09:31 am
Turning 80 is an interesting experience. I almost want a recount. It came about way sooner than I expected. I’ve had some blessings along the way. Chief among them being my children and their spouses, my grand and great grandchildren, and my wife, who has been stuck with me 44 years. More great times are still ahead.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2022 09:42 am
@edgarblythe,
Happy Birthday Edgar, pleased to hear you're having a good day.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2022 10:25 am
@izzythepush,
All the best for the coming decades!
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2022 03:57 pm
@izzythepush,
Spent the bulk of it buying a car.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2022 03:58 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thank you. I am curious if the 60s will be as wild this next time around.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2022 08:28 am
I spent my big day purchasing a car. My Ranger kept getting the transmission rebuilt or whatever the people at the shop do to old trucks' transmissions until I had to give up on it. They just couldn't get it right. Maybe because it's a 1998 model and parts are scarce. I don't know. We got a Nissan Sentra. The insurance agent, given the VIN number, looked it up. "Nissan," he said. "Sinatra." I signed more papers than ever in my life until I began to suspect I might be on a Candid Camera type stunt show. But in the end we took it home.

My two youngest were the greatest help during the time we were without wheels. I'm glad I didn't antagonize them to the point they had me put away before now.

The salesman gave us humongous chicken sandwiches, so we didn't feel compelled to stop at a food place going home. He is a transplant from Venezuela. We shared lots of family pics and information back and forth. Shook hands several times. I wondered what happened to the cheaper cars we were promised we would see before arriving there.

My daughter bought us donuts on the way to the car store. She said it was in lieu of getting me a cake. I was fine, as I love that donut factory's products. They always throw something extra in the bag. Luckily it so far is always something delicious.

My wife's afraid I'm going to damage the car. Fortunately, when we're driving she is busy trying to figure out the radio instead of back seat driving.

So how am I spending Saturday? For one, at the car wash.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2022 09:35 am
@edgarblythe,
I have to keep looking that word up.

We call it a gearbox.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2022 10:10 am
@izzythepush,
I like the sound of "gearbox" but nobody here would get it.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2022 11:12 am
@edgarblythe,
Nobody here would get transmission.

I had to look it up.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2022 11:54 am
@izzythepush,
On seeing gearbox my first thought was the gears of the rear end.
Ragman

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2022 01:01 pm
@edgarblythe,

I tried to get my rear end in gear but now that I’ve reached 72 (on Tuesday), it’s slipping a bit.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2022 01:40 pm
@Ragman,
You're still a boy, rags. Wait until you get old like me.
Ragman

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2022 03:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
I keep trying like hell. I feel just like I did at 71.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2022 08:46 am
Well I've long since eaten my birthday donuts and exhausted this thread (again). I'm bookmarking in case I survive the next decade to revive it again. 90 is old but much younger than a hundred. Thank you all who participated. As Slim Pickens said when he road down astride the bomb, "Ye-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-ah." or something to that effect.
0 Replies