Edgar Blythe's 2012 September 17th birthday has a history

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2022 11:24 pm
@glitterbag,
Thank you. I never expected to be 80 this quickly, but I didn't expect a lot of things in this life.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2022 08:36 am
Whew. Taking a swift glance over the original posts on here. Most have left the forums. I still have many of them on Facebook. Some have passed away. Some only post here sporadically. (snif) I'm almost a orphing.
Joeblow

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2022 09:39 am
@edgarblythe,
I have no idea where I was 10 years ago! I must have been on hiatus, but I'm delighted to join in on the month long birthday celebrations this time around. Happy 80th EB! Many happy returns of the month Smile

I have a wonderful parlour game. It's called

80 Things We Love About Edgar

I'll get it started Very Happy

1) he's kind
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2022 10:10 am
@Joeblow,
Embarrassed Aw, that's got to be a short list. I don't like cheese and I didn't mow the yard last month.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2022 11:27 am
@Joeblow,
2) He's modest.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2022 03:21 pm
Now that I'm old and have the most modest means of support, I find that my normal way of expressing myself, which occasions the mention of things I can't afford, has the people I know reacting self protectively because they think my words are blatant hints for a handout. I have lived a poor man's life from birth. I live and think as the poor lives and thinks. No shame there. One of my stories (about a woman falling off a roof in slow motion to her inevitable death on the sidewalk) was criticized because the main character was not affluent. I had made no mention of the man's lifestyle.

Working at the apartments, a new resident gave somebody $20 to pass on to me because I did a task he requested on move in. He spent much of his time on the patio, where I got in the habit of conversing with him a few times every day. One day he saw me and asked how I was that morning. I joked I was not making any money but doing fine. I read an instant change in his eyes and general demeanor. From that point on he treated me as a vile money grubbing beggar. I had to walk around his building when at all possible to avoid his contempt.

My next door neighbor needs occasional help. She's nearly as old as me and as tiny as one can get without being classed one of the little people. Much of what I do is simple, such as pull her lawn mower cord because she hasn't the heft to make it turn. She insisted on paying me until I told her I didn't want to be paid dollars because it makes little dent in my circumstances. So she insists on giving me eggs and such. I take it just to keep her happy.

It has been a long haul. Out of the cotton fields and a vagabond life of struggle to overcome Asperger's I have finally made a life that works for me and my wife, and that's all I need.
Joeblow

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2022 04:47 pm
3) Edgar'smart
4) He's fun
5) He's thoughtful
6) he's not a meanie
7) he loves his wife
8) he's straightforward
9) he picked up the lousy litterers litter for years
10) he's inspiring
Ragman

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2022 04:49 pm
@edgarblythe,

You’re a worthy lesson in perseverance and self-acceptance. I’m glad you stopped picking up the litter, too. Wondering if or how someone might continue?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2022 06:14 pm
@Ragman,
Much of the litter gets picked up. Just not enough.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2022 06:15 pm
@Joeblow,
You make me feel appreciated.
Joeblow

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2022 07:46 am
@edgarblythe,
Proper thing Smile
Joeblow

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2022 07:53 am
@Joeblow,
Ragman had number 11 so I would just like to say...

12) Edgar has a way with words
13) feeds the ducks
14) is very clever
AND
15) he makes me think

Mame

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2022 08:50 am
@Joeblow,
16) Writes good stories
17) Is a thinking person
18) Is a decent human being
19) Is considerate
20) Doesn't suffer fools
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2022 09:32 am
Despite her twisted mind and all her troubles deriving from my family, my step-grandmother and I were friends. We often had breakfast together while the others slept. She was surprised in later years when told that, no, I did not become a minister. Hee hee hee.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2022 09:34 am
Hee.
hightor

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2022 11:00 am
@Mame,
21) He genuinely respects the open and honest exchange of ideas
Mame

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2022 12:17 pm
@hightor,
Agreed.

22) He seems like a genuinely nice guy.
23) He's lived through and overcome many hardships.
24) He's a survivor, and more than that.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2022 07:30 am
@edgarblythe,
Hee Smile

So listen, you gotta tell me, what's your favourite birthday dinner?

I'm especially intetested in the cake!
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2022 07:49 am
@Joeblow,
We haven't even done a cake in a lot of years. I avoid sugary food as much as possible. But my favorite is what I think is called velvet chocolate with some coconut in the icing.

Speaking of food to avoid, I somehow allowed myself to eat too many potato chips and in between meals eat too many Ritz crackers. Sent my blood pressure through the roof and had me ill for a day. It's back to normal now.
Joeblow

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2022 08:19 am
@edgarblythe,
Busy researching recipes in case you might be tempted by a very small piece on the big day Wink I just read that it's buttermilk that makes a cake "velvet"

Potato chips are my nemesis.